Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

Yay! I hope you're enjoying it.

I'm tantalisingly close to the end of Smilla. Just 20 pages to go.

I've also started reading The Ants Are My Friends by Martin Toseland. This is just a quirky book to read alongside others.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading the dictionary whilst waiting for some veg to cook :blush: it is more interesting than it is given credit for. Also grabbed a couple more pages of Deathly Hallows around an hour ago.

:blush: Gee thanks, Noll, that's awfully gracious of you!

I didn't get too much read from The World to Come tonight, but am up to page 80. I might just have a newfound respect for Chagall after I finish this book!

Yay! I hope you're enjoying it.

I'm tantalisingly close to the end of Smilla. Just 20 pages to go.

I've also started reading The Ants Are My Friends by Martin Toseland. This is just a quirky book to read alongside others.

Ooooh, finish line for Smilla coming up, yay! :lol: I bet you're glad when it's finished, even if you've enjoyed reading it? It's such a difficult book to read, must concentrate 100%.

I didn't know what to think of The Perks at first, I found Charlie to be really odd but the further I've read the further I've gotten to know him and really adore him and he's really growing on me :blush: I wonder if this is a YA classic of some sorts, and how old this book is.

Edit: Wow, apparently this book has been first published in 1999? I thought it was early 90s novel.

I'm glad you're enjoying it Cookie. I just finished and I'm feeling such relief! I'm definitely going to spend the next couple of weeks chilling with whatever light reads I can get my hands on. I'll be starting with Hot Six by Janet Evanovich. :blush:

I just received snazzy, dead-cheerleader-artworked hardbacks of Generation Dead, The Kiss of Life and Passing Strange :lol: this makes me happee.

I'm pleased to report that Amazon US have not reduced themselves to saving pennies with lousy packaging - they may have crossed the Atlantic, but the books look as gorgeously new as they should. If only postage wasn't so dear I'd get all my books from across the pond from now on...!

Now the only problem will be refraining from diving into The Kiss of Life before I've finished Eyes Like Stars :blush: must... be... strong!!!

I have just ordered In Southern Waters by Ian Merchant and Dead Sight by Glenn Chandler for my dissertation.

I haven't done any reading yet today because I've been trying to get some writing done but my plan for the afternoon is to read :blush: Yesterday I started Incantation by Alice Hoffman and Life Issues by Wendy Virgo so I'll alternate my reading between those two I think.

I've not managed to get much reading done the past couple of days but i picked up a couple of books in the charity shop on my way to toddler group this morning they are The Rendezvous by Daphne Du Maurier & I Capture the Castle Dodie Smith. I've earmarked Rendezvous for my next read as it's short stories so a bit of light reading after my Micheal Faber which is a bit of a door stopper.

My reading mojo has gone walkabout again. S'not funny anymore. :lol:

I am determined for it not to go on as long as the last bout. I have a stack of books old and new, so come this evening I WILL be reading something. :blush:

Last night we stopped at Books-A-Million on the way home from dinner and restrained ourselves admirably. :blush: Only bought 2.00 USD books. /pats self on back/ :lol:

Trance by Christopher Sorrentino

Explorer's House by Robert M. Poole

Allen Tate, Collected Poems 1919-1976

City Room by Arthur Gelb [all about the New York Times]

Finished Death of a Murderer by Rupert Thomson last night. It's not a comfortable read - while it's not "about" Myra Hindley in the conventional sense, her presence dominates the book throughout, and for my generation, Myra Hindley is someone we find it difficult to think about - the only allowable response to her is one of loathing.

For all that, it's an excellent read which raises many questions - not only about Myra Hindley's crimes, but more importantly, what each of us, as "normal" human beings, might be capable of if we make the wrong choices. Overlaid on that is a rather touching story about a life largely unfulfilled - not hers, but that of the protagonist, PC Billy Tyler, whose night guarding Hindley's body in the hospital mortuary gives him plenty of time to look back over the key episodes of his life.

For a book which has almost no plot to speak of, I was thoroughly wrapped up in it. One of the best books I've read in a good while, and highly recommended.

Mind you, I need something nice and light now ....

Read some of Short Second Life of Bree Tanner today

Ooo I want to read this. How are you finding it?

I went to the library again today (yes that is three times in four days!) and took out:

Alan Bennett: Untold Stories

Lauren Liebenberg: The Voluptuous Delight of Peanut Butter and Jam

I have just finished reading Incantation by Alice Hoffman.

I cannot believe what I have just read: the UN thinks that summer reading lists are a violation of human rights: http://wp.me/pJBhQ-mT absurd.

I pre~ordered from amazon ~

Hourglass by Claudia Gray

Passing Strange by Daniel Waters

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (in paperback to match the rest of my copies in the series)

I cannot believe what I have just read: the UN thinks that summer reading lists are a violation of human rights: http://wp.me/pJBhQ-mT absurd.

Wow, you'd think that thinking people would have better things to actually think on. There is so much injustice and genuine violations of human rights in the world, but someone has to make a fuss out of a nonsense thought!

Absurd is the right word for sure Kate!

Wow, you'd think that thinking people would have better things to actually think on. There is so much injustice and genuine violations of human rights in the world, but someone has to make a fuss out of a nonsense thought!

Absurd is the right word for sure Kate!

Seriously absurd Kate, Chrissy,everyone, someone has too much time on their hands, let's look at the bigger picture people! 6.gif

Read about 30 pages of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows whilst walking to ze supermarket :blush:

My reading mojo has gone walkabout again. S'not funny anymore. :)

Aww that sucks hun, hope it comes back quick smart! :D

I'm almost finished The Vampire's Betrayal and will probably go straight on to the next in the series afterward. :D

I'm re-reading I capture the castle, funny how differently you can view a novel after a 10 year reading gap.

Got a WHsmith voucher burning a whole so may use it to buy an ebook since I found my e-reader.