Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read about half of What I Saw And How I Lied today, but pesky work got in the way from me reading any more, and I'm too tired to read any more this evening.

... started another (The Manny by Holly Peterson) only to ditch that two chapters in because the story seems so very familiar* (I'm certain I've read it before but I can't find it on my reading lists since it was published).

Kell, I can't believe you've said that! I had exactly the same experience when I read it (although not at the same bit), but as I got further and further through it, I was so sure I'd read it before, yet it wasn't on my reading list or on my loans history from the library either. Perhaps it is very similar to another book we've both read :blush:

Read a bit more of The Lace Reader last night, also had a nice package from Amazon arrive today containing Keeper Of The Bride by Tess Gerritsen. Now I must must must finish current book so I can start TG's book :blush:

Read 112 pages of 'The Forbidden Temple' by Patrick Woodhead.

Not bad actually.Set in Tibet and involving a couple of mountain climbers who are looking for a mysterious temple.

Finished this today,then read 75 pages of 'The Cult Of Osiris' by Andy McDermott.Read all his books and this one seems okay so far.

I read 60 pages of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell yesterday, and also read a chunk of Road To Nowhere by Christopher Pike. Read another 80 pages of J.S. & Mr. N today, and if I read just 20 more I'll have read 900 out of the 1000 in the book! Might also try to finish Road To Nowhere tonight, it's a very easy read.

Have you found it easy to get back into JS & MN, Noll?

I've read another chunk of Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow. My interest in it waxes and wanes. I'll be glad to finally finish it, but that won't be happening for a few more days yet.

Yup, I hadn't read it in over a month and as soon as I started back I picked up the story immediately and remembered everything that had happened. I'm loving it so much again I almost want to start it over when I finish!

I'm reading two at the moment.

The Wolf by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen

"How one German raider terrorized the Allies in the most epic voyage of WWI"

I'd never heard of this, not too surprising because I haven't read much about WWI, I'd mostly stuck to WWII, but this is fascinating.

Also...

Bitter Steel by Charles Allen Gramlich

"Tales and Poems of Epic Fantasy"

The author to the latter happens to be in a writer's group we are part of, and his writing is really wonderful. I'm not usually much into fantasy but this is good stuff.

About 50 pages into A Game of Thrones. Why is it that fantasy books always have to drop about a thousand names and relations within the first few chapters?! I mean do they all do this on purpose to confuse us into thinking it's clever or something?:motz:Still, somewhow enjoying it. (I'm making notes).

That's one thing that infuriates me about fantasy books too Nienna. Usually whether or not I can be bothered with a book from that genre (or historical fiction, occasionally) depends on A) it's actual ability to familiarise me with the characters :tong: without being condescending about it :blush:

I've just finished About a Boy by Nick Hornby and I quite liked it :blush: I'm heading to the library now, I'll be taking some books back and will leave Miss Smilla, The Crimson Petal and the White and two novels by Selma Lagerl

Finished the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe yesterday and started Misery - on my, I thought it would be slow like a lot of King's books but if it is I haven't noticed. I'm hanging on every word! Is it wrong that I find Annie funny? Like when she

does an impression of Misery the pig?

or when she

shouts YEEHAA and runs and punches Paul in the knee?

I haven't felt this into a book in a long time. I hope it continues the way it has started.

I also really like Paul and really willing him not to make her angry. Like when

he escapes to get the pills and when he gets back in his room he still has the pills in his lap

my heart was in my mouth wondering how he was going to get away with it!

My parcel arrived yesterday - there was a slip through the door saying it had been put in a safe place. They're idea of a safe place being the bin! Luckily OH went round to Moms just in case it had arrived, especially as the bin men come on a Friday morning! I just can't get over the fact they left my precious package in the BIN!

I picked up Water for Elephants and I'm considering starting with that later today.

I take that back. I just came from the library with Voltaire's Candide, Dracula the Un-Dead, a Stephen King novel and tadaa, Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. I also found Freakonomics which was higly praised in The Complete Polysyllabic Spree and because the explanatory note was really interesting, I'm giving this a go now :tong: After that I'll mostly likely pick up the Hornby book, I can't seem to get enough of them :blush:

My copy of A Game Of Thrones had this on the review page.

"Fantastic book, I couldn't put it down. ~ Robert Jordan"

And seeing as RJ is my favourite fantasy writer, I just had to force myself to reread the book till I got it. I'm glad I did, the other three books in that series are just awesome. They've even helped me grow as a writer. It's too bad that Martin is such a slow writer. He is about five years late in publishing a book that should have come out in fall 2005.

Yep. At the rate he's going he'd better start telling Brandon Sanderson everything he's got planned :blush:

I've just been reading more of The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. It isn't as good as The Last Song but I'm enjoying it anyway :blush:

I'm heading to the library now

I just came from the library with Voltaire's Candide, Dracula the Un-Dead, a Stephen King novel and tadaa, Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. I also found Freakonomics which was higly praised in The Complete Polysyllabic Spree and because the explanatory note was really interesting, I'm giving this a go now :)

;) I'm too slow to read your posts. I read your first post and was going to make a comment wondering how many books you were going to come home with, but you beat me to it. I just knew there'd be a good-sized list of new library books. :)

:) I'm too slow to read your posts. I read your first post and was going to make a comment wondering how many books you were going to come home with, but you beat me to it. I just knew there'd be a good-sized list of new library books. :)

;) I go in to return books, usually thinking to myself: Don't borrow any new ones this time. Then I thought I have to get Dracula Un-Dead if it's available because I didn't have the time to read it the last time. Then noticed the new Hornby novel. Then remembered Freakonomics title, then Voltaire and so on and so on. How can one resist?

I'm nearly at the halfway mark of Crimson Petal & the White & really enjoying it. I also got another haul from the charity shop today

The Welsh Girl Peter Ho Davies

The Glassblower of Murano Marina Fiorato

The Outcast Sadie Jones

and for the kids

here lies Arthur Phillip Reeve

Mothstorm Phillip Reeve

The Book of Dead Days Marcus Sedgwick

I think I've found my reading mojo again. The past few days I've read The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy by Polly Williams, Momzillas by Jill Kargman, the fifth Vampire Diaries book: Nightfall by LJ Smith. Now I'm halfway through the sixth book: Shadow Souls :)

I also got my copy of Where the HEart Is by Billie Letts and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman ;)

I had a lovely time in the garden today and as i went to the library I have got and read Tess Gerritsen - Whistleblower I did realise that i had read this before but not a problem. I also picked up Henning Mankell - The Pyramid but to top it off I managed to buy a hardback copy of The Owl Killers - Karen Maitland I have been tempted by that book for ages and so pleased i managed to get a copy for only