What are you listening to? (part 3)

Maureen

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, I'm listening to the local classic rock radio station (which is what I always listen to at work) so it's been a day of Led Zeppelin, Heart, Eric Clapton, and, right now, "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen. :D

:D

You're the only person I know who thinks that :lol:

You clearly hang around in the wrong circles! :D

I'm with frankie. We three should hang out together. :D

And frankie is not only person you know who thinks that. :wink:

My newest discovery is Devin Townsend. Awesome!!!! :smile2:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John

I always think Elton's early music is underated. Funeral For A Friend is a classic.

Ophelia by Natalie Merchant, I singer I've just discovered, she has a lovely voice.

You're quite right. And I like Devin Townsend, too! :D

3000 Days by Pineapple Thief, courtesy of Karsa's link. :D

Hmmm, it does remind me of Radiohead a bit, but a better version of them. :wink:

It doesn't really remind me of Porcupine Tree at all, which is good, because I don't want to hear a PT clone.

Oh, by the way. I have listened to a bit of Opeth. I like the music, but I guess growling vocals are not my thing. :(

Oh, by the way. I have listened to a bit of Opeth. I like the music, but I guess growling vocals are not my thing. :(

Grrrrrrrr :lol:

You might like their forthcoming album, though - no growly bits at all, apparently :wink:

Try

:)

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in particular is one of my favourite albums Poppy :)

And yay for Opethness, has anyone heard The Devil's Orchard? It's amazing in a refreshing way. You might like the album Damnation if you don't like Mikael's harsh vocals.

Nothing. I'm sitting here with headphones on and I'm not actually listening to anything. For some reason I feel like I'm missing something if I don't have my headphones on at my laptop, even when I'm not actually listening to anything XD

And yay for Opethness, has anyone heard The Devil's Orchard? It's amazing in a refreshing way.

I listened to the first minute or two of it then turned it off - not because I didn't like it but because I am determined to wait until I've got the cd in my grubby mitts to listen to it properly :lol: Not long to go now ...

Having another Pineapple Thief morning, Tightly Unwound this time :)

Yeah I just need to hear new Opeth I don't care when or how! :D That first riff is crazy, at first I was like what the heck is going on here?? It really works though, there's a total 70's vibe and I like the vocal melody quite a lot.

We should definitely hang out! :cool:

You're quite right. And I like Devin Townsend, too! :D

I also like Devin Townsend!! :lol:

3000 Days by Pineapple Thief, courtesy of Karsa's link. :D

Hmmm, it does remind me of Radiohead a bit, but a better version of them.

It doesn't really remind me of Porcupine Tree at all, which is good, because I don't want to hear a PT clone.

Oh, by the way. I have listened to a bit of Opeth. I like the music, but I guess growling vocals are not my thing.

And I love Opeth :lol:

Edit: How about

? If you haven't heard it/of it, I fully recommend it :wink: It is as Swedish as Opeth and Katatonia! Some of the best bands come from Sweden, I'm eternally jealous.

Edit: Here's another song by

, very beautiful. Edited by frankie

Edit: How about

? If you haven't heard it/of it, I fully recommend it :wink: It is as Swedish as Opeth and Katatonia! Some of the best bands come from Sweden, I'm eternally jealous.

When I saw Opeth at Shepherd's Bush Empire a couple of years back, Mikael decided to ask the audience who was the best band from Sweden. Everyone shouted 'Abba!' :lol:

I've only got Clayman by In Flames - shall have to check out some more :)

Yeah I just need to hear new Opeth I don't care when or how! :D That first riff is crazy, at first I was like what the heck is going on here?? It really works though, there's a total 70's vibe and I like the vocal melody quite a lot.

I've pre-ordered the cd/dvd from their website but am now being very tempted by the super-deluxe collector's edition ...

Damn. Okay, I succumbed and got The Devil's Orchard off iTunes. I love it already.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Grrrrrrrr :lol:

You might like their forthcoming album, though - no growly bits at all, apparently :wink:

Try

:)

I listened and liked. I have decided to give Opeth a real try, because I realized that I love Devin Townsend, and he uses those "death growls", which I quite enjoy when it's not all the time. I realized that Opeth doesn't do it all the time, either. So I found really cheap new copies of Watershed and Ghost Reveries and they are on the way. If I like those, I see that I can get quite a bit of their back catalog in cheap boxed sets. Nice! :D

I have a feeling Opeth is a band that I will learn to love on multiple listens, which happens with me sometimes.