Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

I've been reading On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan today.

I loved that book, but it devastated me also. They both frustrated me so much. It really highlighted the absolute necessity of open, honest communication in relationships. I'm wondering what you think/thought of it. I think McEwan writes beautifully...

I'm currently reading Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey, which is taking some getting into, but engaging enough to keep me going. Feels very Brave New World-ish.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading Unknown by Mari Jungstedt which is quite good, I do like the nordic crime books and at the moment I am listening to Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow which the BBC is playing on BBC7 (get me though the day at work)

I read two and a half of Oscar Wildes plays at the weekend - I'm half way through Vera or the Nihilists, not my favourite but readable.

I also sat and read through the Sunday Times, which helped my catch up on whats going on in the world. Strangely enough the new Education Minister looks like my doctor.:blush:

I managed about 10 pages of 'The House at Midnight' last night, but other than that my reading has been nada over the weekend! Now that I have no visitors though I hope to get lots further this week.

I've got some dull Health and Safety stuff to read but then I'll be rewarding myself with more Northanger Abbey. I hope to finish it by tonight :irked:

I'm kinda reading NA too in between other things atm :smile2:

It is very charming yes :irked: I am very much looking forward to when things start to get more interesting though :smile2:

I think I am about VIII whatever that means, i'm not a roman and not too bright :smile2:

I think I am about VIII whatever that means, i'm not a roman and not too bright :smile2:

VIII means 8 in roman numerals but I can only count to 10 :irked:

I am reading The Betrayal by Sabin Willett

Still reading We need to talk about Kevin

VIII means 8 in roman numerals but I can only count to 10 :smile2:

I am reading The Betrayal by Sabin Willett

Still reading We need to talk about Kevin

Oh yeah V = 5 duh! Thanks :irked:

Can't get into The High Crusade, I think it's because it's in French, thanks to all these English books I'm not used to my own language anymore. :irked:

And I want to read The Name of the Rose, right now! And I don't know why. I saw the movie last summer, but I don't remember anything. I want this book, I WANT IT. :smile2:

Read another 30 pages of Misery whilst waiting for potatoes to boil. I reckon i'll have finished it by eight this evening, so that's about 400 pages of reading i've done over the last two days yay :smile2:

I finished The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett - I wasn't sure about it at the beginning but it definitely improved as the book went on :smile2:

I have just finished Unknown by Mari Jungstedt and I did quite enjoy it, although it was by no means the best Scandinavian crime I have read, now I am debating whether to read Sister Pelagia and the Blank Monk or Kraken ( I really want to read Kraken but might save it up :smile2:)