Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read another 65 pages so far today... 200 to go to the end of the book. I'm racing through it, because it's made of epic win, but I KNOW the ending isn't going to be happy, because that would go against everything in the trilogy so far - and my brother said it was a perfect ending. And everyone else hated it. I tend to find when the masses hate the end of a book or a movie, it means it was perfect genius, they just prefer poorly executed happily ever afters to justified, credible endings.

/rant.

Love those books, they're amongst my favourites too. Have read them several times over already, but then that's easy cause they're such fast reads.

Have you read the fourth book Across the Wall? I know it's not technically a sequel but I'll definitely be picking it up at some point so I can read more about that world.

Started and almost finished Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Did you like it? I thought it was great. Short but it didn't really need to be longer. Comes a cross as a very nice and interesting guy. Shame he's making such cack movies nowadays.

I read a bit of Trick or Treatment on the train and bought History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell while I was out.

I also found the headquarters of The Magic Circle so I levelled up. I can now summon a Class 5 Lightning Storm!

It's in a really strange out of the way alley which is kind of perfect. I don't think you can go in though. I didn't try in case I encountered a mighty wizard.

Did you like it? I thought it was great. Short but it didn't really need to be longer. Comes a cross as a very nice and interesting guy. Shame he's making such cack movies nowadays.

I have about 40 pages to go and i have enjoyed it. I worried at first that such a short tead was going to give just a passing reference to everything he has done but it seems he has just stuck with giving details on the important things and not bothered with the boring stuff just to fill up the pages and make the book thicker. Yes, the movies, the less said the better i think although he could almost be forgiven for all his movie failing just for The Jerk.

Have you read the fourth book Across the Wall? I know it's not technically a sequel but I'll definitely be picking it up at some point so I can read more about that world.

Haven't read that, and don't know if I will. The books, though lovely, weren't all that big and elaborate story-wise, or well, not exactly what I mean, but Across the Wall is stories, and I just think there might not be much to them. I don't care a lot for stories anyway, they're always too short in my opinion.

Managed to read another 20 pages at work today, not much but I only had a 15 minute break, and 5 of those I really was enjoying my coffee. :D

I worried at first that such a short tead was going to give just a passing reference to everything he has done but it seems he has just stuck with giving details on the important things and not bothered with the boring stuff just to fill up the pages and make the book thicker.

I'm glad he did that. It always bugs me in auto/biographies when they go on about their parents. I know it's to give a bit of backstory and show how they were raised but usually it's just filler. I didn't pick up a book about their parents, why would I want to read about them? He strikes the right balance I think.

Haven't read that, and don't know if I will. The books, though lovely, weren't all that big and elaborate story-wise, or well, not exactly what I mean, but Across the Wall is stories, and I just think there might not be much to them. I don't care a lot for stories anyway, they're always too short in my opinion.

I tend not to read short stories either but I'd like to read a bit more backstory and about more of the history of the Abhorsen.

But I'm going off topic. I should say this site helped me save money. I was going to buy the Inkheart trilogy but a lot of people seemed underwhelmed by it. Maybe I'll get it one day.

Returned in the post 'The Oven House' ~ Lynne Rees, which K1nS had borrowed to read (it was offered as bookring on here at one time)

Have also read some of 'Old Boyfriends' ~ Debbie Macomber (I really should be finished this!)

Well I finished Dark Visions by L J Smith and it was good started slowly but got better, still think I prefer the Chloe Sanders series by Kelley Armstrong

Just started Neil Gaiman's 'Stardust' .. feels good to be reading Gaiman again.

I've only just read that you've given up on 'The Childrens Book' Janet! ... I've got this waiting to be read and I am a bit daunted by it .. the length of it and the complexity ... hope it's not going to be trial.

I clocked up 270 pages today, finishing Crown Of Shadows, thereby finishing The Coldfire Trilogy and I must say it is officially my favourite series of all time in the history of anything ever.

Absolutely perfect, in every way. I am in complete awe of the utter perfection of these books. :D

I'm glad the ending was everything you hoped it would be, Noll. :D

I've read another 70 pages of Water for Elephants so far today and I'll get through the last 60 pages by the end of the day.

I've only just read that you've given up on 'The Childrens Book' Janet! ... I've got this waiting to be read and I am a bit daunted by it .. the length of it and the complexity ... hope it's not going to be trial.

The movie Stardust is coming on TV on Sunday on Channel 4 at 8pm. It's really good :D

Quite a fun and charming book! :D

I read about three chapters of Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, probably tied with Goblet of Fire as my favourite HP book :D

I clocked up 270 pages today, finishing Crown Of Shadows, thereby finishing The Coldfire Trilogy and I must say it is officially my favourite series of all time in the history of anything ever.

Absolutely perfect, in every way. I am in complete awe of the utter perfection of these books. :D

Is that the first time you've read it? (I thought you have been recommending these books for months!).

Must... obtain... Coldfire... Trilogy!!!

Damn the both of you. Your shared excitement made me look up the trilogy and now I want it.

^Ditto. And I have just checked with my library and they only have translated versions, blah. And I remember having tried the first part translated, and didn't really care for it.

*sighs* Another series for my wishlist. Could win the lottery and spend all my money on books. :D

Bought The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick & The Ninth Life Of Loius Drax by Liz Jensen in Durham, Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography by Will Birch for