Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Hi guys. Am going to be reading The Bell Jar after Wicked 'cause a community I'm part of on Livejournal is doing it as a group read. So if anyone wants to join in, I know there are a few of you who had it on your lists.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, from the Rory list. I really enjoyed this one! At first I had a difficult time getting inside the main character's head but the more I read the more I liked him and maybe even understood him. I know Kylie's read this one as well and I think I can speak for her as well when I say this one comes with a recommendation :D

Anyways, those of you who've been reading The Complete Polysyllabic Spree may have noticed the chapter where Hornby discusses M�tley Cr�e's book The Dirt. This one seems to me like a really interesting read and Lucybird and I were discussing maybe having it as a group reading sometime in the future. Anyone interested? :) There's no rush, it's just a thought.

I haven't, sorry.

I'm reading The Bell Jar at the moment and thinking of getting Bel-Ami and The Perks of Being a Wallflower out of the library.

Yeah I'm willing to give The Dirt go :smile2:

I haven't seen The Yearling or read the book unfortunately. I saw the book at the last book fair but it wasn't in very good condition. I really want to see the movie after that ep where they talked about it so much, and I want to see it even more now that I know Gregory Peck's in it!

Has anyone read The Yearling or seen the movie? It's on the Shona list. It's on TV tonight and I thought I'd watch it, there's Gregory Peck and apparently the movie received two Academy awards.

I saw the film years ago, Frankie - I love old films and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember I needed tissues though, so be warned! It's one of the books on the list that I am looking forward to reading, too. :smile2:

Yeah I'm willing to give The Dirt go :lol:

I'm sure The Dirt will be a pretty disturbing book, so you should probably get it from the library and not buy it, in case you don't want to finish it ;)

I saw the film years ago, Frankie - I love old films and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember I needed tissues though, so be warned! It's one of the books on the list that I am looking forward to reading, too. ;)

I'm glad you liked it Ooshie :001: I hear it's about this deer-related animal (too lazy to look it up in the dictionary :smile2:) that starts to frequent a certain family's backyard or something like that?

I haven't seen The Yearling or read the book unfortunately. I saw the book at the last book fair but it wasn't in very good condition. I really want to see the movie after that ep where they talked about it so much, and I want to see it even more now that I know Gregory Peck's in it!

To me The Yearling is a never-heard name, where do they discuss it?

It's in the episode where Taylor is choosing the Stars Hollow movie to watch and Rory and Lorelai complain that every year it's always The Yearling. Taylor complains that it's too hard to find a movie that everyone likes so Rory and Lorelai take over and end up choosing The Yearling again.

It's in the episode where Taylor is choosing the Stars Hollow movie to watch and Rory and Lorelai complain that every year it's always The Yearling. Taylor complains that it's too hard to find a movie that everyone likes so Rory and Lorelai take over and end up choosing The Yearling again.

Oh that's what they're watching every year :smile2: They were so giddy when they found out they could be choosing the movie and boy were they disappointed when they found out about the list of movies from which they had to choose.

Oh that's what they're watching every year :) They were so giddy when they found out they could be choosing the movie and boy were they disappointed when they found out about the list of movies from which they had to choose.

That was a good episode! I have one more episode to watch then I will have finished Gilmore Girls :blush:

Brighter news...I have finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Not sure which to read next - what are others reading?

Hope you enjoyed The Bell Jar, Kate - I enjoyed it much more than I had expected to. :) I had finished The Complete Polysyllabic Spree, too, and haven't started another from the list yet - I was thinking of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, although if there are a few of us who would like to start a particular book, I will join in with that. Any preferences, anybody? :blush:

That was a good episode! I have one more episode to watch then I will have finished Gilmore Girls :)

Is this a re-watch for you Kate, or are you watching them for the first time?

I only finished watching all the series again a few months ago and I'm already hankering to start all over. :blush:

I'll sit the next group read out because I haven't even gotten to The Complete Polysyllabic Spree yet. :)

Hope you enjoyed The Bell Jar, Kate - I enjoyed it much more than I had expected to. :) I had finished The Complete Polysyllabic Spree, too, and haven't started another from the list yet - I was thinking of Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, although if there are a few of us who would like to start a particular book, I will join in with that. Any preferences, anybody? :)

What is Leaves of Grass about?

Is this a re-watch for you Kate, or are you watching them for the first time?

I only finished watching all the series again a few months ago and I'm already hankering to start all over. :blush:

I'll sit the next group read out because I haven't even gotten to The Complete Polysyllabic Spree yet. :)

This is my first time watching it, although I will re-watch it I'm sure!

Leaves of Grass is a poetry collection - I hardly ever read any poetry, but am looking forward to reading this at some point (I have a very pretty Folio Society edition, and they are always a pleasure, even if they are not subject matter that would usually appeal to me!).

From Amazon:

Whitman is today regarded as America's Homer or Dante, and his work the touchstone for literary originality in the New World. In Leaves of Grass, he abandoned the rules of traditional poetry - breaking the standard metred line, discarding the obligatory rhyming scheme, and using the vernacular. Emily Dickinson condemned his sexual and physiological allusions as `disgraceful', but Emerson saw the book as the `most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom that America has yet contributed'. A century later it is his judgement of this autobiographical vision of the vigour of the American nation that has proved the more enduring.

I originally saw this list on Kylie's Literary Adventures thread and was really impressed by it. I have never seen the show (even though its been recommended to me over a dozen times), but I've added a few of the books to my summer reading list anyway. I plan on reading Gone with the Wind, The Bell Jar and The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Leaves of Grass is a poetry collection - I hardly ever read any poetry, but am looking forward to reading this at some point (I have a very pretty Folio Society edition, and they are always a pleasure, even if they are not subject matter that would usually appeal to me!).QUOTE]

I hardly ever read any poetry either but because there are poetry books on the Rory list I'm definitely up for trying all of them :D I'd be willing to go with Leaves of Grass if there's a copy in the library :)

I have finished Wicked and started The Bell Jar today, so am catching up. I may skip the next one depending on what we pick.

I'm so glad to hear you're catching up, Lucy :D

No group read just yet, then?

As for me, I'm quite busy this week helping my parents with their move to their new house so I'm not up for any group reading this week, but if you guys decide on something I'll like I'll catch up with you guys next week!

I originally saw this list on Kylie's Literary Adventures thread and was really impressed by it. I have never seen the show (even though its been recommended to me over a dozen times), but I've added a few of the books to my summer reading list anyway. I plan on reading Gone with the Wind, The Bell Jar and The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Haha, it's a really impressive list isn't it :D Glad to have you on board, there are a lot of amazing reads and if you feel like it, do follow which books we are thinking about reading on this thread and join the reading group! :D

Edit: I'd like to try and read LotR this summer and if anyone's up for that I'd be glad to have other people joining in!

Have now finished The Bell Jar. I really enjoyed it (if enjoyed is the right word) and the writing was amazing. I've put a review up on my blog and my thread.

I thought the same - enjoyed it but wasn't sure enjoyed is the right word!

I'm waiting for Perks of Being A Wallflower to come back into the library. Would anyone like to read it with me?