Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

The more the merrier!

I was thinking last night, maybe after we've all finished reading our next book (To Kill a Mockingbird) Perhaps we could pick a time and all use the Chat feature on here to talk about it? What would you guys think about something like that?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have finally gone through the whole list! So far I've read 29 books from the list and I've added 106 books to my TBR list. I'm so grateful that I found this thread because it opened me up to so many great books. Thanks! =)

So glad you've found so many, bookworm! Its great having you here. :D

Using the Chat for a 'live' discussion on To Kill a Mockinbird sounds like a good idea. The only real 'problem' is the time differences. What days and times work best for you all? I was thinking that we could have 2 seperate chats 'scheduled' so that there is a better chance of people participating who want to.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing weekends would be better, and thinking about the different timezones, I would think either Friday or Saturday late(ish) in the evening in the UK/Europe would be better, as it would be afternoon in US and the following morning in Australia.

Would a Saturday at 9:30pm UK time (3:30 US Central Standard Time) (6:30am the following day Sydney, Australia time) be alright? I know it's really early, Kylie or we could do something like 1:30pm UK time (7:30 am US Central Standard Time) (10:30pm Sydney, Australia Time same day).

Edited by CaliLily

Sorry, but I won't be getting up at 6.30 on a weekend to join in the chat! LOL. I sleep in till about 10 on weekends.

Being that I'm kind of the odd one out, why don't you arrange it for whatever time suits most people and I'll just see if I can fit in with it? I have a lot of stuff coming up in the next month or so, so I wouldn't like to commit to a time and then have to bow out.

I plan on starting my re-read today, but because I'm reading it alongside another book, I'll probably be reading slowly to begin with. :)

Here's a link to the thread for To Kill a Mockingbird. I should warn anyone who has not read the entire book to avoid this thread because it contains spoilers!

Edited by Kylie

Sorry, but I won't be getting up at 6.30 on a weekend to join in the chat! LOL. I sleep in till about 10 on weekends.

Can't say that I blame you!

I just started reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, then I'm going to start re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird.

Darn time zones! When things get closer we can all talk more about a specific time then, perhaps it'll end up working out. I don't mind getting up early to join in (I'm always up early anyway) so just let me know what works best for all of you who are interested! :D

'm really excited about this one. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite books. We read it in school and it was one of the books that seemed to reach past the teenage 'I'm too cool for English class' and really grab most of our class. :) Plus Atticus is an awesome name.

I'm happy with either suggestion for time of chat although I'd more likely be available on a Sunday than a Saturday.

Started To Kill A Mockingbird but have only just got back from a very long day at work - only had 20 minutes of my break to read and too tired to concentrate on it now, so will pick it up again tomorrow when I get a short day at work :smile2:

Help!

On the list is a book called The Gospel According to Judy Bloom and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've tried amazon, Barnes and Noble and Google, but nothing comes up. All that comes up on google are links to RGC lists. Does anyone know anything about this book?

Help!

On the list is a book called The Gospel According to Judy Bloom and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've tried amazon, Barnes and Noble and Google, but nothing comes up. All that comes up on google are links to RGC lists. Does anyone know anything about this book?

There are a couple of books I'm struggling to find, and this is one of them. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't actually a book Rory has read, but a reference to the books of Judy Blume, and how they are such an established element of teenage girls education in terms of growing into a woman (particularly in the US) that there an almost religious reverence surrounding them, hence "The Gospel According to" reference in this listing. I could be completely wrong, but it's the only thing I can think of.

There are a couple of books I'm struggling to find, and this is one of them. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't actually a book Rory has read, but a reference to the books of Judy Blume, and how they are such an established element of teenage girls education in terms of growing into a woman (particularly in the US) that there an almost religious reverence surrounding them, hence "The Gospel According to" reference in this listing. I could be completely wrong, but it's the only thing I can think of.

I remember there being a book that was about letters written to Judy Blume. I had presumed this was called The Gospel according to Judy Blume, but have just searched and it's actually called Letters to Judy.So you may well be right Chesil, it makes sense anyway

Oh just though, before I forget new ratings

Alice in Wonderland 4/5

The Perks of Being a Wallflower 5/5

I still can't find my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird, I really do not know what I have done with it. I may clear out my bookshelves this weekend (I've been meaning to for a while) then I might find it!

Is it just me or does the list here have more books on it?

Edited by Lucybird

chesil, after searching further I think you may be right. Well, at least that's one last book to find. =)

Is it just me or does the list here have more books on it?

Lucy, there's definitely more books on that list. I know Rory made mention that she had read all the books from Oprah's Book Club and I believe they are all posted on that list. I also caught the Nancy Drew series on that list and I know that’s not on the list that’s posted here.

Here's the Oprah list in case anyone is interested.

The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

The Best Way to Play by Bill Cosby

The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby

The Meanest Thing to Say by Bill Cosby

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angelou

The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

Paradise by Toni Morrison

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay

River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke

Tara Road by Maeve Binchy

Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Jewel by Bret Lott

House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Open House by Elizabeth Berg

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

While I Was Gone by Sue Miller

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Cane River by Lalita Tademy

Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Sula by Toni Morrison

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

Light in August by William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

Night by Elie Wiesel

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

Edited by bookworm44

chesil, after searching further I think you may be right. Well, at least that's one last book to find. =)

Lucy, there's definitely more books on that list. I know Rory made mention that she had read all the books from Oprah's Book Club and I believe they are all posted on that list. I also caught the Nancy Drew series on that list and I know that’s not on the list that’s posted here.

It doesn't have Middlesex, or The Complete Polysylabbic Spree, or Wicked on it though,

• 2 weeks later...