Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling a little bit with this at the moment, I think its because it reads like a translation if that makes sense. I'm ok if I have no other distractions when reading though.

Don't worry, that definitely makes sense, I had problems with it myself at the beginning, but once you get going I think it'll get easier :)

So I'm back at work now and am finding it hard to find time to read, but I have made a start on this book. I'm on page 70 and I'm enjoying it. It's laugh out loud funny in some places and Alex speaks very similar to how my grandparents (also Ukranian)speak. Granted their English was heaps better than his is so far,but I find it easier to read it with their accent in mind - if that makes sense. I look forward to spending some quality reading time next week to really get stuck into it.

I've just finished The Crimson Petal and The White which was one of the books everyone had already read when I started the Rory challenge. I absolutely loved it. Full review over in my book blog and in the thread for the book itself, but I don't think I would have ever gotten round to buying let alone reading this if it wasn't for this challenge, and I'm really, really, really pleased I did :smile2:

I'll be making a start on Everything Is Illuminated next.

I have a question, perhaps someone already answered this one but were does the list come from? I've seen two version, one is only 120 books and one that is around 340 books.

Everyone is doing so good with Everything is Illuminated, I'm stuck and just can't seem to get into it. :-(

I can't even remember anymore where this particular list came from. rolleyes.gif But I'm sure Frankie will know the answer.

I recently gathered together all of the different Rory lists I could find and combined them into one big list, which is the one I'm now personally working off. I'm happy to email out copies if anyone wants one.

I'm about 100 pages into Everything is Illuminated and loving it. I'm sorry you're not enjoying it so much, I'mRose. How much have you read so far?

I finished Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer last night.These are my thoughts also copied into my reading list. Well this book is special. I can't begin to describe how this book makes me feel, but I will say that it is one I will remember for as long as I live. This book makes me feel like I should share it with the world but it also makes me want to hide it from others too. It makes me wonder if my grandparents went through something similar in the war, granted they were- are ukrainian but they too only speak of this time in their life if pushed. They too were involved in some awful things. This book has helped me to appreciate them more so (not that I didn't before) that they went through something like that and lived to tell their story. I will read this book many times, and I will recommend it to, to those that wish to be Illuminated. Read it.

Edited by page turner

I haven't forgotten I'm supposed to be reading this book, honest :) I was just about to start it when I had to take Alex to hospital, and now we are home he has laid claim to it - but as he is only reading a few pages a day I think it will be a while before I get it back! Hopefully I will get to read it before the end of the month but, if not, March for sure.

I've finished Everything Is Illuminated today, and I have to admit it was a bit of a struggle, but glad I read it. I've set up a thread for the book in the Fiction section with a full review (as well as reviewing it in my book blog), but I'd probably give it 3/5, however, I would highly recommend his second book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which I read a few years ago.

I can't even remember anymore where this particular list came from. rolleyes.gif But I'm sure Frankie will know the answer.

I recently gathered together all of the different Rory lists I could find and combined them into one big list, which is the one I'm now personally working off. I'm happy to email out copies if anyone wants one.

Um... The short list with 120 titles can be quite easily found by googling, for example I think there's this listopia website where you can find it. It's the list where there are books that are actually read/mentioned in the show and more recent books that can be read as a comparison of some sorts. Edit: Here's one place where you can see a list, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same short list I have.

The longer list can probably be found by googling and adding the name Shona. Here's the link.

I don't remember where the longest list (I don't know how many titles are on that one) can be found, I'll check and see if I'll have the info on my reading blog. Edit: Kylie, do you remember if it was here that someone (who?) found the list? I checked it but you have to be signed in to be able to see and therefore a registered member.

Kylie, I would appreciate a copy of that list, pretty please :)

Chesilbeach, thanks for starting the thread on Everything Is Illuminated :friends0:

Also, those of you who've already read The Polysyllabic Spree. Do you remember seeing the title Gilead in the book? As a title which Hornby read? When I found the book at the library I thought I had it on my wishlist based on the raving review on TPS, but when I checked my wishlist, I couldn't find it there.

Edited by frankie

Um... The short list with 120 titles can be quite easily found by googling, for example I think there's this listopia website where you can find it. It's the list where there are books that are actually read/mentioned in the show and more recent books that can be read as a comparison of some sorts. Edit: Here's one place where you can see a list, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same short list I have.

I don't remember where the longest list (I don't know how many titles are on that one) can be found, I'll check and see if I'll have the info on my reading blog. Edit: Kylie, do you remember if it was here that someone (who?) found the list? I checked it but you have to be signed in to be able to see and therefore a registered member.

I really don't like Listopia. It seems to me that anyone can go and add/remove books from the list so I can never trust what I see there.

The original list that appeared on the WB website was split into modern and classics, and I think that might be the one on Listopia because it was reasonably short. That list can also be found on the Rory's Bookclub website that you've linked to below (I was the one that found it :wink:). They have a couple of different versions and I think their list/s are the most comprehensive I've seen.

Kylie, I would appreciate a copy of that list, pretty please :)

I don't have your email address! Please PM it to me and I'll email the list to you. :)

I really don't like Listopia. It seems to me that anyone can go and add/remove books from the list so I can never trust what I see there.

The original list that appeared on the WB website was split into modern and classics, and I think that might be the one on Listopia because it was reasonably short. That list can also be found on the Rory's Bookclub website that you've linked to below (I was the one that found it :wink:). They have a couple of different versions and I think their list/s are the most comprehensive I've seen.

I don't have your email address! Please PM it to me and I'll email the list to you. :)

I don't like listopia either, but I couldn't remember where else I would've gotten the list. Now that you mention it though, it must've been the WB website.

Will send you my details :) Thanks!

Oh, and my rating for Everything Is Illuminated was 3/5. Seems like everyone's been enjoying it, more or less.

Hello guys! Kylie and I are going to start reading Madame Bovary pretty soon because it's a book they're going to talk about in the First Tuesday Book Club -show in Australia, and I was wondering if any of you would like to join us in reading it, after all it's also on the Rory list? :)

I'm still reading Everything is Illuminated (enjoying it but not getting much of a chance to get on with it!) but would be happy to join in with Madame Bovary next :)

Excellent, Ooshie. :) I'm about 40 pages into Madame Bovary and quite enjoying it. I'll be reading it for a while though, because I have a couple of other books on the go.

Nice to hear you'll be joining us Ooshie! And don't worry, I still need to finish my current read before I can start Madame Bovary, and I'll be expecting MB to be a slow read for me, kind of a forced effort... :blush: You'll have plenty of time to join us! :)