Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Haha, oops! I'm too lazy to go through the list tonight, but I'll make some changes to it tomorrow. Thanks for the list! I added a little credit to you on the blog- will do more tomorrow when the brain isn't in zombie mode. :)

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the list, Abby. Just gone through it, and I've read 32 of the books and have one on my TBR shelf already.

I must admit I thought the list was much longer - I thought I'd read somewhere about 1000 books, but 340 seems much more achievable. There are several books on there I would actively avoid, but if I'm going to commit to this, then I guess I'm going to have to try them!

I'm going to pick up a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird today. I was planning on getting it anyway, so might as well make a start with that one now, then I'll go back and pick up on the ones you've already read and go through those next.

What have you lot got me into? As if I haven't got enough of a challenge getting through my normal TBR shelves doh.gif

Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to check - the books you've all read so far are:

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The Crimson Petal and White by Michel Faber

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Have I got that right?

If so , I've already read Wuthering Heights about 20 years ago, and really didn't get on with it at all (rating 2/5) and I've also read The Polysyllabic Spree when it first came out, and thoroughly enjoyed it (rating 4/5). I have Wicked on loan from the library, so will be reading it in the next few weeks.

I bought To Kill A Mockingbird and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn this morning, so I'll be joining in with the read of To Kill A Mockingbird with everyone else :smile2:

I'll probably set up a page on my Wordpress blog about it, and keep track of everything there as well.

Edited by chesilbeach

Chesil, you got the books we've already read together right :) I'm glad to have you join us! :smile2: The 340 books or so is something one can achieve. My biggest fear, however, is, that what am I supposed to look forward to after I've read all the books in the list??? Well I suppose I still have good 5-6 years ahead of me before I need to panic :rolleyes:

I know, but that's not the same at all. Those books are selected by some random person/people, the Rory books are selected by the good people who've made the show. I wish they would make the movie and mention book titles every 2 minutes :giggle:

I know, but that's not the same at all. Those books are selected by some random person/people, the Rory books are selected by the good people who've made the show. I wish they would make the movie and mention book titles every 2 minutes :giggle:

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

A little bit off-topic: have you seen the new US show called Parenthood? It has Lauren Graham (Lorelai) as the mother of a teenage daughter. I think it's about several different families. It starts here tonight and I'm quite excited to see Lauren in something else although I know it won't be the same at all.

I've never heard of Parenthood, and even if it was shown here I don't think I would watch it. I don't know why but I don't like Lauren Graham in other stuff besides GG, not that I've seen her in so many things but still. I once saw this movie cover which was about a Santa Claus or whatnot and Lauren Graham was in the movie, and she was sitting on Santa's lap looking all tarty. Didn't like the look of it at all! :(

Chesil, you got the books we've already read together right :) I'm glad to have you join us! :smile2: The 340 books or so is something one can achieve. My biggest fear, however, is, that what am I supposed to look forward to after I've read all the books in the list??? Well I suppose I still have good 5-6 years ahead of me before I need to panic :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome, frankie! I'm going to get my own copy of Wicked as the one from the library isn't in great condition, and for such a thick book, I'd much rather have my own new copy, so I'll try and pick up that one and the other two I haven't read yet at the weekend. Noticed on the review of The Crimson Petal and the White on the Waterstone's website that the person had re-read it ahead of a new BBC adaptation of it due out early next year. I've done a bit of searching and found out it's going to start Richard E Grant and Gillian Anderson, and starts shooting this month.

Haven't posted on here in a very long time, but absolutely love the idea of this thread! My boyfriend and I got quite into GG a little while back although it wasn't the first series, we kept threatening to buy the first series!

Well now I am definitely going to buy the first series and am definitely up for reading through her booklist!

What is the next book that you are reading and when does it need to be read by?!?

What is the next book that you are reading and when does it need to be read by?!?

Welcome to our little (but ever-expanding) group!

We are planning to read To Kill a Mockingbird next, in honour of its 50th anniversary.

We're a pretty casual group so I think we're all planning to start (and perhaps finish) in the next few weeks. Personally, I'm aiming to have it finished by the end of the month because there's a book show on TV that will be reviewing it in early September.

Welcome to our little (but ever-expanding) group!

We are planning to read To Kill a Mockingbird next, in honour of its 50th anniversary.

We're a pretty casual group so I think we're all planning to start (and perhaps finish) in the next few weeks. Personally, I'm aiming to have it finished by the end of the month because there's a book show on TV that will be reviewing it in early September.

Thanks, I've already read this but am sure I can remember enough to join in the discussion. May even have a skim read just to jog my memory! Absolutely loved it when I read it though!

Welcome to our little group, Tasha! Glad to have you here :)

I'll definitely be re-reading this in honor of the 50th anniversary. It was one of my favorite books that was required reading back in school.

On a cute note, an old classmate of mine had a baby a month ago (yesterday) and she named her Scout after To Kill a Mockingbird :) Thought that was rather sweet.

Ooshie, I take it you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird? Another first timer here :)

For ages I thought I had read the book, frankie! I had bought a Folio Society edition, probably in the late 1980s (surely that can't be right?! :eek: ), but it has just been sitting on the shelf since then - when I started to think properly about it, I realised it was just that I had seen the film so many times I had convinced myself that I had actually sat down and read it :blush:

I have just treated myself to a two dvd version of the film from Amazon for less than £5, which has made me very happy too :exc:

Great to have you join us, TashaG and chesilbeach!

(Calilily, that is sooo cute...)

Think yourself lucky Weave - it's taking over my life at the moment wink.gif

I am sure you doing grand hen :) Are you reading all the book month by month or is it books you have read already? :)

I've already read 33 books on the list, I need to read three to catch up with the others who started earlier this year, then I'll be joining in the reading month by month, plus occasionally picking another one of the list to read on my own as there are some I've been meaning to read for ages, and others I've never heard of but am now fascinated to read!

I have to admit, there are quite a few I would never normally read or that I've been purposely avoiding for years, so some of them might be a struggle, but I'm going to give them all a go at some point. Think we could be here quite a few years though laugh.gif

On a cute note, an old classmate of mine had a baby a month ago (yesterday) and she named her Scout after To Kill a Mockingbird :) Thought that was rather sweet.

Aw, that's really nice. I have a black and white-striped tiger in my lounge room that I have also named Scout. :)

It's great to see so many joining our group. Yay! biggrin.gif

Weave, you're welcome to join in with us if you like! It's not a pre-requisite that you have watched Gilmore Girls.