Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

*Gasp* Right you are! I'll go in and amend that error! Have you read The Divine Comedy? Its an amazing work but very difficult. I tried earlier in the year and only made it through The Inferno. :D

(Glad to have you back, btw, Brida ;) )

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;)

I've also only read The Inferno, in highschool. It certainly isn't a light read :D, but our teacher always made a sort of introduction and explanation when we were reading/discussing books, so I guess that made it simpler :D

(Thank you btw :D)

Well, I have finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and have crossed it off my RG list - and I am very glad to have got it over with! I started off quite enjoying it, but as it went on I just found it more and more irritating until I just couldn't wait to finish. It probably didn't help that I thought Alice seemed a very rude and unpleasant child! :blush:

Just 2/5 from me for Alice, I'm afraid.

Frankie, I am taking a picnic hamper filled with delicious treats back onto the 'avoid Alice at any cost' boat - I should never have tried to step out onto dry land in the first place! :roll:

Well, I have finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and have crossed it off my RG list - and I am very glad to have got it over with! I started off quite enjoying it, but as it went on I just found it more and more irritating until I just couldn't wait to finish. It probably didn't help that I thought Alice seemed a very rude and unpleasant child!

My thoughts exactly! It started off quite nicely (if one excludes the poem :roll:) in the beginning and I thought this could turn into a really pleasant read. Somewhere along the way, though, I felt like I couldn't see where it was all heading. I liked all the fantastic things happening but I'd have liked it to come to a real end and a closure, things having made sense in the end.

Ooshie, I thought Alice was incredibly rude at times! Here and there it was said that she'd grown accustomed to weird things happening during that day, but her attitude sometimes proved it otherwise. She'd ask stupid questions and interrupt the animals and be a real pain. Good riddens.

I gave the novel 3/5, because it was fairly tolerable and because it was better than I'd thought.

Frankie, I am taking a picnic hamper filled with delicious treats back onto the 'avoid Alice at any cost' boat - I should never have tried to step out onto dry land in the first place! :eek2:

Save a seat for me would you? :lol: I'm gonna hop back on board and resume my place on the good old 'avoid Alice at any cost' boat and maybe add the words 'on any coast' :blush:

I'm hoping to read Alice this week, and I have taken The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Bel Canto out the library :lol:

I really hope you like TPoBaW :) Bel Canto's on the list as well, but I never remember what it is about?

Edited by frankie

frankie, I have cushions to make us more comfortable and quilts to keep us warm if we need them. I think we are on our boat to stay! Let me know if there is anything special you would like in the picnic hamper! I wonder whether anyone else will join us? I will take extra just in case :blush:

frankie, I have cushions to make us more comfortable and quilts to keep us warm if we need them. I think we are on our boat to stay! Let me know if there is anything special you would like in the picnic hamper! I wonder whether anyone else will join us? I will take extra just in case :blush:

Make sure you pack some habanero chips :roll:

I'm thinking of tackling this as an on-going project. Can anybody clarify what's going on with the lists at the start of the posts? Does the lists continue from each other? Or even does someone have a word document list of all the books in this challenge that they'd be willing to send me?

Edited by Ben

Oooh, cushions and quilts, I like your practical thinking :lol: Since it's summer, I'm going to bring lots of strawberries and perhaps a little chocolate to dip them in. What would you like to drink?

Make sure you pack some habanero chips :lol:

Noooooo :roll: Ooshie, don't bring me no Habanero chips, evil Abby is playing with you :eek2: She's referring to my American food tasting day last Friday, when I ate about 100 g of habanero chips and my ass was on fire for the whole next day. Painful!

Naughty Abby! :roll:

Strawberries with dipping chocolate? Yum. I think I might like a glass of champagne to go with that! :eek2:

Tee hee... :blush: Frankie, if you think those are spicy than I dare you to come here and visit me sometime. My dad has no taste buds and makes salsa about 10 times spicier than that. Its so hot that you'll literally want to cut your tongue off.

Strawberries and dipping chocolate sounds tasty, especially with champagne.

If you wanted to go Gilmore you could do the Lorelai- a dirty martini and Pop Tarts dipped in a can of frosting with sprinkles.

I'm thinking of tackling this as an on-going project. Can anybody clarify what's going on with the lists at the start of the posts? Does the lists continue from each other? Or even does someone have a word document list of all the books in this challenge that they'd be willing to send me?

*ahem.*

Help guys?

Strawberries with dipping chocolate? Yum. I think I might like a glass of champagne to go with that! :lol:

I was thinking about some champs, it would go nicely with the strawberries and the chocolate :lol: Cheers!

Tee hee... :blush: Frankie, if you think those are spicy than I dare you to come here and visit me sometime. My dad has no taste buds and makes salsa about 10 times spicier than that. Its so hot that you'll literally want to cut your tongue off.

Remind me not to eat anything your father cooks, unless you have gallons and gallons of milk :roll:

Ben, the two posts in the beginning of the thread are from Shona's list that's somewhere in the virtual world, you'll find it if you google it. All the books have been mentioned in the series so that's why they're on the list and they are in two separate posts because they didn't all fit in one post, me thinks. I don't have a Word document myself, I'm not sure if Shona provides one. So basically, just get reading the books from the list :eek2:

Edit: Here's a link for you.

Edited by frankie

I know some of us were talking about reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I'm not sure if it's the official July read or not!

Ben, I think you would be able to copy and paste the lists to a Word document if that's what would be most useful to you. :blush:

Ben, I think you would be able to copy and paste the lists to a Word document if that's what would be most useful to you. :blush:

Janet has a list on an Excel spreadsheet (or did back when this was started, you would have to check with her if she still has it or not) but maybe she would be willing to share it. I believe Kylie also has a list, but not 100% certian on that one.

I've just replied to your PM Abby.

I do indeed have the list and I've uploaded it to Sendspace for Abby.

I'm more than happy to post the link here, but I don't know if the list is up-to-date (if I'm remembering correctly, this list is of books mentioned in a TV show?), so it may need updating if the show is ongoing?

I'm confused - I have 2 Rory lists saved in word. A 'long' one, and one just called The Rory List - and neither seem to bear any resemblance to the one I have in Excel.

Sorry guys. :D

ETA: I think Abby is going to sort out the list within my spreadsheet for you guys. :D

Edited by Janet

I'm confused - I have 2 Rory lists saved in word. A 'long' one, and one just called The Rory List - and neither seem to bear any resemblance to the one I have in Excel.

Sorry guys. :D

ETA: I think Abby is going to sort out the list within my spreadsheet for you guys. :D

Thanks for checking on all that, Janet :D I'll take the list and update/tweak it into a Word doc and an Excel spreadsheet today and post up links (hopefully) tomorrow.

Okay, I've updated the Rory List onto a Word document but it's going to take me some time to create an Excel spreadsheet because I have to enter in all the books one by one and I'm feeling too lazy to do it all tonight.

If anyone is interested in having a copy of the Word document feel free to PM me your email and I can send it to you. I'll let you know when I finish the spreadsheet :D

Also, Janet recommended this great free software that you can use in place of Word that is compatible with all sorts of files called Open Office. If you're interested you can find the free download here:

www.openoffice.org

Ooshie! :D I've got to leave the boat for a quick while in the future: I've noticed that Through the Looking Glass, the sequel to AiW, is also on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die and so I need to read it at one point.

Bad luck, frankie! The boat will be waiting for you when you get back! :D

Phew! :D Leave me a glass of champaigne as well, don't go overboard with it by yourself :D

I liked Through the Looking Glass a little more than I liked Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. But I liked the former too, so don't go by my advice!

I'll just have to read it and see for myself then. It shouldn't be too long a read so I'm not totally despaired :)