Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Just popping in to say I'm going to be joining in with some of the books, but won't be taking the challenge (partly because I still haven't managed to watch the programme yet, and partly because I know I don't want to read some of the books and would never finish it anyway), so I'm more than happy to keep an eye on the thread to see what those of you taking the challenge decide to read, and join in the reading when it's a book I want to read.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! What new books do you have to bring to the table?

I got -

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijie

Cousin Bette - Honor'e de Balzac

Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

I thought I had Kavalier & Clay but apparently I gave it to my mum who in turn gave it to a friend and never got it back!

Oh, and I "borrowed" The Red Tent by Anita Diamant from my mum too :censored:

Only 250?! Psshaw! Piece of cake!

Yes yes, might as well finish it over the weekend! :no::censored:

Noll, by the way, have you given more thought to actually watching the show? You might like it :lol:

Chesilbeach, great to hear you'll be joining us for some of the books :)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijie

Cousin Bette - Honor'e de Balzac

Fortress of Solitude - Jonathan Lethem

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

Oooh, great haul, I'm really looking forward to reading especially the Chabon, Sijie and Rand ones, and don't mind the de Balzac either :D

I thought I had Kavalier & Clay but apparently I gave it to my mum who in turn gave it to a friend and never got it back!

What a crappy friend :)

Oh, and I "borrowed" The Red Tent by Anita Diamant from my mum too

I think that'll be great as well, there was this Bible theme with a twist if I'm not wrong, it sounds really intriguing.

I'm happy to be part of the challenge :censored: In fact, I went to the library and took out The Complete Brothers Grimm Collection because Rory reads some of them! (Its massive by the way....!)

I've read The Complete Brothers Grimm. I don't remember how long it took me, but it was quite a while. I'm not sure that I'd recommend reading the stories one after another though. I did that, and they got a bit samey after a while. Right after I finished I wouldn't have been able to give you many details of the stories as I would have gotten them confused. They were great stories though!

I have to say this even at the risk of sounding like a complete tightass: As much as I want everyone who's able and willing to join in on the group readings, I do personally wish that the books that are going to be read at a given time would be selected by the people who are actually following the whole Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge.

I absolutely agree with you, frankie; I am not currently intending to follow the whole challenge, and would never expect to influence the selection of what books are going to be read when - I am just looking forward to being introduced to some new books that I might not have thought of reading myself, and joining in the discussion of them.

How is everyone coming along with Wurthering Heights?

I am now almost half way through and hoping to finish in the next couple of days.

One part that always grabs me is when

Lockwood has the nightmare and Heathcliff comes in and asks him to leave and then begins calling for Cathy's ghost to come back.

Its always the first point in the story that, for me, brings Heathcliff's character to life and shows that human side to him.

I'm halfway through. I'm listening to it, and it makes a complete difference. When I read it I hated it, but this time round I'm hooked.

I don't like Cathy Senior - I find her manipulating and her tantrums annoying. But I think Nelly is like her, even though she is of a lower class. And I'm not sure Heathcliff and Cathy were ever happy, even as children. They were causing trouble and upsetting people - their fun seemed based on hurting others, not really on a friendship.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I finished! What's next? :lol:

:lol: I like your enthusiasm! I'm reading Helter Skelter at the moment which is on the Shona's Rory list as it happens, it's about Charles Manson and his Family. It's surprisingly long, 664 pages and quite a slow read what with all the police/court jargon.* I don't think I'm up for another challenge in a week at least.

How about you others?

* Not that the jargon is incomprehensible, the hours I've spent watching CSI Miami and all the other crime shows are paying off now, it's just very detailed writing with loads of different names and characters to remember.

Edited by frankie

I'm not quite up for Helter Skelter yet. :lol: I might see what is chosen by everyone else and then decide if I will join in. I feel like I haven't done much reading for myself lately, if that makes any sense, and I have a stack of non-list books I've been meaning to get to for a while.

I'm not quite up for Helter Skelter yet. :lol: I might see what is chosen by everyone else and then decide if I will join in. I feel like I haven't done much reading for myself lately, if that makes any sense, and I have a stack of non-list books I've been meaning to get to for a while.

I kinda agree, Wuthering Heights was such an awful read for me that I feel like I want to read books 'for fun' at the moment. And for me Helter Skelter is a personal choice, I wanted to read it long before I noticed it was on the Shona list.

However, I'll be keeping an eye on you guys, and I might join you if you decide to read something I've been really wanting to read anyway :lol:

I was thinking of reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain next. I recently read Tom Sawyer and really enjoyed it :smile2:

I was thinking maybe Middlesex seeing as I bought that one recently, or maybe Northanger Abbey which has been on my TBR pile for years.

I've recently bought The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn myself but I'm just not in the mood for that right now. Also, I've already read Middlesex and Northanger Abbey. But those two are really excellent reads and eventhough I wouldn't be joining in on those two I'd definitely recommend you to read them, they're really superb :)

These were of course just my own thoughts, I hope there are other people who'd like to join you and you could form another groupreading :)

I'm also tempted with The Wizard of Oz - might read both this month. Have you picked a book Frankie?

The Wizard of Oz is also another book from the list that I've already read.

I finished Helter Skelter which was on the list, and then tried reading In Cold Blood but the book didn't grab me so I'm gonna leave it for now till the mood strikes me better.

As for now, I don't think I have any idea of what to read next, there are just too many choices, both on the Rory list and outside.

I just bought Reading Lolita in Tehran (on the Rory list) and I think I'd like to read the books that are mentioned/discussed in the book so I would have a better understanding of RLiT. That would mean reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov at least, I'm not sure if there are other books mentioned that I haven't read yet.

What are everyone else reading, and are there novels that you'd like to read as a group?

I would love to read that book and fortunately I happen to own it as well; the only thing that's making me dread it is the length of the novel :lurker: It's like another huge big-ass book right after another (GWtW). I think I would be prepared to try it though, yes. How about you others?