Rory Gilmore's Book List Challenge

AbielleRose

Hope it's ok if I join in too?

I hadn't been planning to re-read Wuthering Heights, but I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was about 15 (yes, Kate Bush was in the charts! :lol:) and still have the battered paperback on my shelf. It will be interesting to see if I view it any differently after all this time.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't been planning to re-read Wuthering Heights, but I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was about 15 (yes, Kate Bush was in the charts! :lol:) and still have the battered paperback on my shelf.

I checked my iTunes the other day to see if I had this song because I wasn't sure if I'd heard it before. Not only do I have it but I apparently thought highly enough of it to rate it 4 stars. :D Needless to say I listened to it again and it now actually has meaning for me.

I know so many quotes, and actually understand what Joseph is saying without footnotes!

:yes: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had trouble. I get most of what he is saying and usually work the rest out by how the characters reply to him.

I'm up to chapter 26 and really quite enjoying it, although I don't particularly like any of the characters very much.

Okay people, been under my metaphorical rock for a few weeks but it's time to catch up so what have I missed challenge-wise?

Ooh! I love metaphorical inatimate objects! :lol:

We are in the midst of reading Wurthering Heights by Emily Bronte if you are interested in joining us.

This is - I think - my 7th reread of WH :lol: One of my favourite books if you hadn't already guessed by the number of times I've read it! Is there a thread for it somewhere?

I checked my iTunes the other day to see if I had this song because I wasn't sure if I'd heard it before. Not only do I have it but I apparently thought highly enough of it to rate it 4 stars. :lol: Needless to say I listened to it again and it now actually has meaning for me.

Ah, Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights, a classic of its time!

I had been worried that my very elderly paperback edition of WH would just disintegrate when I tried to open it but, apart from the pages being yellow, it seems in perfect condition.

Woke up this morning with a migraine and still feeling a bit fragile, so early to bed for me tonight with WH and some hot chocolate I think! (Well, that's my excuse, anyway.) :D

Back on topic, I'm going to go through the Rory list and make an UnRory list consisting of the titles I'd like to join in discussions on :censored:

Feel free to post your list here and we might be able to choose our next book from there. That's how we've been doing it so far; someone posts a short-list and everyone else whittles it down till we have a winner. :no:

I have to say this even at the risk of sounding like a complete tightass: As much as I want everyone who's able and willing to join in on the group readings, I do personally wish that the books that are going to be read at a given time would be selected by the people who are actually following the whole Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. My reasoning for this is that if more and more people will pick up on the challenge and will want to read some of the novels from the list without wanting to do the actual challenge, the more difficult it gets each time to pick a book that would be suitable for most of the people. So far it's been easy to pick the books because there aren't that many of us and the two books that we've done so far have been agreed on by nearly all of us each time.

This is just MHO, and I do hope that no one takes it personally and/or the wrong way :censored: And that's only my views on the selecting process, I do wish that as many people as possible would be interested in reading the books that are chosen each time.

Edited by frankie

I went through my pile of newly acquired books earlier and I have indeed picked up quite a few of the Rory titles that I was missing! That of course means, hopefully, I'll be able to get through quite a good portion of the Rory list without needing to buy any more books for a while :no: My bank manager is already thanking me :censored:

I have to say this even at the risk of sounding like a complete tightass: As much as I want everyone who's able and willing to join in on the group readings, I do personally wish that the books that are going to be read at a given time would be selected by the people who are actually following the whole Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge.

That's exactly as it should be. I plan to jump in only if I have the book/time to spare when you guys announce you're about to do something, and anyone else just jumping aboard from time to time will have to do the same, simple as.

@Kylie: thanks, but in the vein of what Frankie said and I just agreed with, I wouldn't personally allow anyone not participating in the challenge to be a deciding factor. If someone wants dibs, they have to get in on the challenge. My list will just be for myself to remember to keep an eye out when ye move onto new books.

I went through my pile of newly acquired books earlier and I have indeed picked up quite a few of the Rory titles that I was missing! That of course means, hopefully, I'll be able to get through quite a good portion of the Rory list without needing to buy any more books for a while :) My bank manager is already thanking me :censored:

Cool! What new books do you have to bring to the table?

Nollaig, thanks for understanding where I was coming from, I was kind of afraid of coming across all wrong. Although I'm not sure if the others would agree on what I said, I'm pretty sure they are less neurotic and more liberal book challenge doers :no:

Not at all, a challenge is a challenge and those who are participating must come first. If anyone doesn't like it, tough bananas! :censored: It's only fair to those making the committment.

I'm too lazy to adhere to challenges :no: