More football

Lilywhite

Mousehole in the First Division are away on the 18th, but they have a home game on the 22nd against Helston Athletic (last season's Division 1 runners-up) at 6:30. They've got another home game on the 25th at 3pm against Foxhole Stars.

Alternatively if you fancy seeing a Premier Division game, the match of the week will be on the 22nd at 7:30 where my beloved St Austell take on the league champions Bodmin Town. If you don't mind a small trip to Poltair Park, I think it'll be worth it for just a £4 per person entry fee!

Bodmin are the team to beat in Cornwall at the moment and we're looking to break into the top 6 this season!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of milk?

We kicked off the new season this evening with a 2-1 win over newly-promoted Newquay! As this was the first and only game anywhere in the league, we're top of the entire league! Until at least 4:45 tomorrow anyway! Attendance was a bit lower than expected as the game was shown live on the Cornwall Channel. From the bottom of Division One to the top of the Premier Division in the space of 4 years - good times!

Hoorah being top of table....long may it continue :D

Andy and Glendale have played games so far....won 2 and lost 1, so not too bad start. They won 3-1 at home today....we arrived just in time to see Andy take a pen...it took a rebound of goalie's foot hit the cross bar and Andy headed it home for a goal. This is most unlike him to 'use his head' for scoring....Graeme and I were quite taken aback... :giggle2:

U'15's not started as yet think it's the end of the month before league games get underway but a couple of friendliess are on the cards soon I think.

The Rangers, who are now in 3rd league (you will have heard all the goings on) could only manage a 2-2 draw against Peterhead today.....equalising only just before full time, so nearly getting beat 2-1...as hubby says they have found the level then....lol.

Good start for your boys Inver! It's interesting to see Rangers in the 3rd Division - I can feel the waves of sympathy you're generating for them!

Our reign at the top ended yesterday as everybody else played. Our place has been taken by our local neighbours St Blazey who recorded a league record 11-0 win over Penzance! Weirdly, Blazey are expected to finish around the bottom 6. The sad story of Penzance started in May when they lost all of their players. Even a week ago they didn't have a single player signed on and had to use our local forum to beg anybody to come and play for them.

It was a credit to the people of West Cornwall that they managed to get enough bodies to start the season. They were all casual players from the lower leagues, including a 57 year-old central defender! We play Penzance on 29th December so I really hope they're still around, but I fear the worst. Cornish football is on a very precarious financial footing at the moment.

Next up for us is Camelford on Wednesday when I hope we can reclaim the top spot!

Hope the Cornish footie can continue Sedge, 57yr old :o ....good on him for turning out....lol. The love of the game etc then.

Yeh we aren't/weren't great Rangers fans as you can tell...Andy being a St Johnstone fan, who we managed to go see at home to their second home tie to the Turkish team just before we went on hols. Unfortunately they were beat and put out of their short time in Europe.

Sounds like good entertainment, just the wrong result! I'm sure the points will start flowing in soon.

We managed a hard-fought 1-0 win in horrendous conditions yesterday. 2 wins from 2, six points on the board and we're 2nd in the table! We needed those points as well - our next game is at home to the champions, Bodmin Town. With the best will in the world, we could be in for a beating!

Think positive Sedge.....champions can be beaten ;) ...go the wee teams... :giggle2: Think Glendale have first of their cup games on Saturday....going to be a lovely day if the weather is like it is today :intherain:

We still owe Bodmin for beating us in the 2011 Cup Final - The Austell never forget! :smile:

Sound like we're sharing a weather system - fortunately we've got the weekend off to watch the other sides dicing with pneumonia!

The sun shone..... :cool: ....the goals came....the excitement and tension rose.

Down 1-0 when we arrived, the were awarded a pen.....Andy confidently put it past keeper and into net. 1-1. The went up 2-1, then an equaliser came. It had to go to extra time, an cracking goal took them into the lead 3-2, but then cleared away by Andy but for some reason contact made from one of our players and a pen awarded 3-3. Nailbiting but the 4th goal wouldn't come....on to penalty shootout. Our goalie in first 1-0, Andy up for taking the first pen and again confidently into the net 1-1. Our goalie saved the next 2-1, but our next player hit the bar 2-2, 3-3, 4-3 our goalie saved another, but they pulled back to 4-4, out last player scored and we won managed to win 5-4.

Although it was only a first round cup game, it felt like a final... :D .

Great stuff Inver- if you're going to win, you might as well make it exciting! Do you know who you've got in the next round?

Our first team didn't have a game today, so our 2nds sneakily put a few first teamers in their line up for their first game in the Duchy Premier Division. The result - a 9-1 win. All's fair in football!

I think it is just their league shield cup so Andy says that will be them through to 1/4 finals. And I can't count, looking at results we won 7-6 on pens! I get confused when folk miss and goalies save obviously...lol.

We suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat to the champions last night thanks to some very dodgy refereeing. Normally that would sound like sour grapes, but it was also seen by over a thousand people watching it live on the Cornwall Channel!

I was satisfied though. Over the last 2 seasons, Bodmin have put 4 goals past us each time, so we're on the up! :smile:

That was a good narrow defeat, if you see what I mean. sound like you are off to good start. Andy and 'Dale won 3-1 away from home last night, so that was a nice 3pts thank you.

On the other side, just don't ask about the pre season friendlies the U'15s have had.....OMG is all I have to say. The two previous games to tongiht were bad enough defeats, but tonights was just a total embarrassment. I really felt for Andy and his other two coaches. Didn't matter what the said they just didn't do. The other team decided to play 3 x 30 mins. This is a team that is in the A league (15's in the B) and think won the league last year and got to Scottish Cup finals. They knew they were in for a gubbing. They managed to score 1 goal but it was an own goal. Down 5-1 in first 30 mins. The other team definitely a well organised team, passing and running rings round our lot, communicating with each other. It was getting quite bad light too by the time they were finishing that the ref actually asked if he wanted to finish to the last 30, other team asked Andy if wanted to stop and he said yes. Put it this way he has never heard another teams manager/coach say to his players to stop scoring :unsure: . I think it may have been something like 18-1. Guess they put it down to a mega learning curve and they don't play them again! The season starts proper on Sunday so I hope they all go home and think about their performance.

On a cheerier note, Andy sounds like he might be in with a shout for a job as a Community Coach, via a mate putting in a word for him. Will let you know when it there is more news.

Sound like a real 'Ouch' moment Inver! It's not so long ago that St Austell were on the end of a real drubbing - our manager had to sit down with our weeping goalie at half time and talk him into playing on. Some of those players involved on that day have become some of the league's top players - never give up! If it makes your boys feel any better, Madron, one of our local teams suffered a 55-0 defeat a couple of season's ago!

55-0....I'm sorry but no ref should allow that to happen! Hope it wasn't a bad omen all this bad pre season stuff. Andy tried to phone the ref tonight to confirm OK for Sunday morning....he got his mum to say that he was away this weekend and had informed them he wasn't available. He has now tried to phone the fixture secretary to get an alternative and no answer...ho hum. Hope he gets it sorted out!

Commiserations for Glendale Inver, but it's still early int he season and things will get better.

I couldn't believe it when the referee declared our game on 20 minutes before kick-off. I haven't seem rain like this for years! The lines were washed away 2 hours before the start, but the young ref decided to go ahead anyway. Amazingly there was no standing water, but I could barely see the players from the touchline through the pouring rain. The ref called it a day after 13 minutes, much to everybody's displeasure. Surely if he considered the game playable at 3:00, then we should have been able to get through the 90 mins! All in all it was a game that should never have started. Still, it was a nice afternoon out! :intherain:

:intherain: Same here....don't think the 15's will be playing tomorrow...lots of flooding in town and most of the council pitches were unplayable today....could be a good thing after this weeks disasters... :wibbly:

Actually Andy said that despite their loss today they are put in to a second round for the losers of the first :blush2: seems a bit odd... :D . Sounds like your game should never have happened, poor young ref obviusly didn't want to be seen to make the wrong decision but looks like he did.... :D, ah well no points lost today then.

:negative: :negative: .....OMG thought it couldn't get any worse :negative: :negative: First official game of the season.....U'15's binned 0-11 at home :negative: Edited by Inver

Turning up I think....lol. Andy is at a loss as to what to say to them at the moment! They did lose two players at the end of the season and one of their tall players at the back is injured at the mo, but it can't all be down to the two leaving! He is going back to basics tomorrow at training I think......'here is a ball it is round and you kick it into the other team's goal'!