Mitch Albom - The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Kell

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Author: Mitch Albom

ISBN # 0751536822

Publisher: Time Warner

First Published: 2003

231 pages

Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in a meaningless life of fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. As the park has changed over the years - from the Loop-the-Loop to the Pipeline Plunge - so, too, has Eddie changed, from optimistic youth to embittered old age. His days are a dull routine of work, loneliness, and regret. Then, on his 83rd birthday, Eddie dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his - and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever. One by one, Eddie's five people illuminate the unseen connections of his earthly life. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life: Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer, which comes from the most unlikely of sources, is as inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself.

At first glance, I thought this would either be deeply depressing or incredibly deep; it turned out I was wrong on both counts. This is actually a very light, easy read, with a gentle style and a positive outlook on both life and death, which ultimately shows that every life, no matter how trivial it may seem at the time, impacts on every life touched. Presented in dual form as a

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, I thought this would either be deeply depressing or incredibly deep; it turned out I was wrong on both counts.

I read this book a while ago and had a similar reaction. There were parts of the book which I adored. I loved the bit where Eddie realises his aches and pains have gone and he runs for the sheer joy of being able to run again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone....it was strange how I ended up having the book. I had put it on my Christmas list and hubby had bought it for me then my mum died on the 21st Dece 2004 and I ended up reading it over Christmas....weird it was, but comforting at the same time. If you have read the book you might understand what I mean :?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Great review Kell :lol:

I read this book about a year ago and I loved it, and like so many others it helped me as well. It was a wonderful story and the characters, especially Eddie, were excellent.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this review, Kell - I read it when you first posted and have since read the book as a result. Really enjoyed it - lent it to my nan as well, and she keeps saying that she will be sat in the kitchen doing a puzzle and her mind wanders to "poor old Eddie!" I think she enjoyed it too!

• 2 months later...

I just finished this book and loved it. Kell has written a wonderful review - there is not much I can add. It makes you think how you can alter someone's life without you even trying. Eddie is so wonderfully described - I felt him come alive - almost like an old uncle.

...............I wonder who my 5 people are!

• 8 months later...

41RJ6TYB83L_SS500_.jpg

Author: Mitch Albom

ISBN: 0751536822

Genre: general Fiction

Pages: 231

Format: Paperback

Publisher: Sphere

With the recent passing of my father, this is one book I 'needed' to read. I was gob smacked my eldest son even thought about buying me this book for xmas, let alone actually surprising me with it on xmas day.

This was a wonderful little book, with a lot of meaning to it. It helps you to understand why certain things happen to you in life, and how we are all connected.

This book is basically about a man who dies, and is met by five people, who in some way affected how he lived his life. Some are family while others are strangers. I really can't go on to tell you more, as you have to read it for yourselves. All I can say is, I found the book left me wanting more. I wish the book had been bigger so I could go on reading. It's a light read and some people would finish it in a day.

It's a very comforting read and one worth having in your book pile to be read.