Mitch Albom - The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Kell

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I enjoyed this book - I think it's an interesting idea for a story - but I felt that the characters lacked depth.

I would recommend it as a novel for when you want to read something undemanding and I can see how it could be a comfort for people who have suffered a bereavement. If this is what heaven is like then it's something to look forward to! :D

7/10

I read this not long after my mum died and it kinda helped me through it a bit. :D

Thanks everyone....it was strange how I ended up having the book. I had put it on my Christmas list and hubby had bought it for me then my mum died on the 21st Dece 2004 and I ended up reading it over Christmas....weird it was, but comforting at the same time. If you have read the book you might understand what I mean :?

I would recommend it as a novel for when you want to read something undemanding and I can see how it could be a comfort for people who have suffered a bereavement.

7/10

As you can see that is how I felt Janet...glad you enjoyed it though.

I loved this book, and Inver, I certainly agree that it can be a great comfort. I read it not long after a 10 day period in which an old boyfriend (who I had stayed friends with), and then my father-in-law died, both unexpectedly. I did find the book to be a comfort. I have For One More Day on my tbr, but goodness only knows when I will get around to it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought this was a great book. Really good read.

I agree with what somebody said about the characters somewhat lacking depth, but I think the story concept carries you through.

Would also scream at anyone who liked this book to read Albom's "Tuesdays With Morrie."

I just finished this book. I was looking for something comforting and pleasant to read on a long flight, and this book fit the bill perfectly. As a few others have mentioned in this thread, it is not an intellectually demanding book, by any means, but I found it to be relaxing and soothing. I particularly liked the idea of the interconnectivity of lives. All in all, though, I'm not sure this would be a book I would choose to read if I weren't especially looking for something fluffy and undemanding.

Now I'm moving on to Lord of the Flies, so that I can promptly disturb myself again and undo the soothing work that The Five People You Meet in Heaven did. haha

I saw The Five People in Eason's yesterday, nearly picked up a copy but didn't coz I can't really afford it right now.

And I saw Tuesdays With Morrie (same author, better book) in my college bookshop two weeks ago, and didn't pick that up either *sigh*

Is Mitch Albom like, a particular christmas favourite or something? :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished reading this book & I loved it (am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear). I thought it was a really good book - really me think about what 5 people I might meet in heaven. I think that it's a great idea that the people whose lives we affected are the ones to explain our existance to us. Definately a good book & one I would heartily reccommend reading.

I remember finding this book very satisfying and enjoying it a lot, and have subsequently bought For One More Day for my TBR pile, but for some reason I keep putting off starting it. I think perhaps I liked The Five People You Meet In Heaven so much that I'm worried I'll be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was a very curious view of heaven, you meet 5 people who explain to you the meaning of certain things that happen in your life. Eddie's journey after his death is very sad, he learns about things he never knew about in his human life, but were pivital in what happened. As well as following his journey through heaven to the 5 people, you're also told about Eddie's past birthdays and also told a little about various years of his life. I thought it was well written, I liked the way it was telling 3 threads of a story yet didn't feel like it was jumping. It was a very easy read and although not one of the best books I've ever read, it was certainly very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished it and was disappointed. This is what I wrote on my reading log:

I wasn't overawed by it. I found the language too plain. There were lots of short sentences and at times it felt like I was reading a children's story. I didn't really think the characters had much depth either. I found the pearls of wisdom a little patronising and for those reasons overall I was disappointed. I did like the overall concept though, and in more skillful hands it could have been a good book.

I loved this book, and Inver, I certainly agree that it can be a great comfort. I read it not long after a 10 day period in which an old boyfriend (who I had stayed friends with), and then my father-in-law died, both unexpectedly. I did find the book to be a comfort. I have For One More Day on my tbr, but goodness only knows when I will get around to it!

I agree,my best friend's, who died 3 years ago,mother gave me this book to read not long after my friend died and i can say it most defnitly was a source of comfort,however i don't think you necesseraily need to have suffered a bereavement to enjoy and appreciate this book. It is a great weekend or holiday book,i finished it in one day but it is quite enjoyable.:blush: I also read For One More Day and enjoyed this immensely aswell:)

• 5 months later...

Although I found the 'It's Eddie's Birthday' bits annoying at first, I thought the book was a good read and his 4th person was my favourite.

I'd love to see the movie starring John Voight as Eddie aswell, Trailer here.

I also now want to read Tuesday's with Morrie which does sound like a better book.

Mitch Albom is an awesome writer. I have read his books and enjoyed them all very much. I find his stories have meaning and a nice message/ending. I loved this book, but Tuesday's with Morrie is one of his better ones.

Although I found the 'It's Eddie's Birthday' bits annoying at first, I thought the book was a good read and his 4th person was my favourite.

I'd love to see the movie starring John Voight as Eddie aswell, Trailer here.

I also now want to read Tuesday's with Morrie which does sound like a better book.

I didn't know there was a film, I'll def be checking it out :) thanks Ernie

the-five-people-you-meet-in-heaven.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

From the author of the phenomenal number one bestseller TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, comes this enchanting, beautifully written novel that explores a mystery only heaven can unfold. Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in the toil of his father before him, fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. Then he dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people who were in it. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life. Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer is as magical and inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself.

Eddie dies on his birthday attempting to save a girl when part of a pier ride malfunctions. When he gets to heaven he meets five different people who explain life and parts of Eddie's life which lead him to rethink hi anger and bitterness. This is a journey that will release him for heaven.

I read this book in a day - it is really good. It is not a long book, only 208 pages, but is a wonderful read. Albom draws you in and it really feels like you are going through these memories with Eddie. You feel pain, hurt and happiness as you read.

Because Eddie died on his birthday there are several chapters that are birthday memories. Ranging from the age of five up to his sixties. I really liked these. They showed tenderness and a glimpse into how Eddie's life was changing.

There are many issues discussed in this book - such as the war and how that affected life and parent issues, particularly violence from his father. Albom deals with these wonderfully and shows that with help things can be forgiven.

I liked all the characters. It was lovely how some of the people Eddie met in heaven he had only briefly met in life, or not met at all, but how they played a part in his life. I particularly liked Tala, a little girl. She had died young in the war but she was sweet and forgiving, and loving. I felt for Eddie too. He lost his wife young and the war had left him maimed, leaving him sad and stuck in a rut. I loved being there as he sorted out his life in heaven.

I highly recommend this book. I loved it. I can think of no complaints.

10/10