In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

Now it appears that the classified documents published by Wikileaks contained the names of Afghan informants, people who have been helping the coalition forces. Nice one, Wikileaks. :irked:

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things bother me. I do have a problem when national security is put at risk because someone wants to "expose" something. What often happens is that while things are being put out in the mainstream, they are forgetting that the enemy is watching and reading the same thing as we do! They do not have the freedom of speech and access to military operations over there so the public is pretty much unaware. The Taliban puts out what it WANTS us to know because they control the media. Americans tend to put the need for safety below our "right to know". Corruption and such should be exposed but there has to be a better way.

We had to servicemen who disapeared last week. One died during a gun battle. The other had been taken hostage. His body was left for the military to find earlier this week. I think it was because of those reports. His cause of death was not released, they were just told where to locate his body. Its irresponsible. Maybe they need to have friends and loved ones in Afghanistan and Iraqi to understand how leaking this type of stuff puts them in harms way.

I speak from the position of a service member and the wife of a now retired Marine. I was also a police woman. I hate to think that someone not looking at it from every possible angle would jeapordize so many lives to sell a paper.

My favorite quote is by Ron White (a comedian)

On his arrest at a bar for drunken disorderliness....when read the miranda rights "you have the right to remain silent" Ron replied..."but I don't have the AbiLiTy!

• 2 weeks later...

This is so sad...the boy who was shot is a relative of a friend of mine. The entire family is in shock. Yesterday, it appeared that he had accidentally shot himself in the head, but now it seems he was shot by his brother. :(

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Investigators-say-Elma-6-year-old-was-shot-by-8-year-old-brother-100442954.html

OMGs! I'm so sorry, Echo - that's so tragic! It's awful when something like this happens, but even worse when it's a family member who has to live with the accident they caused. Seinding much love to you and yours. :hug:

Unfortunately, the child passed away. His family is donating his organs, though, so they're happy that other families will benefit. I can't imagine how his brother, who is only 8, is going to live with the guilt. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Holidays

I did not realise this and I thought I was hard done by (well not really as I do get more than the average) I didn't realise there was such discrepancy in the US and that people didn't get an entitlement. And there was me bemoaning not living in a Catholic country and getting more holidays. :D

I saw a news article today in the irish independant. A female doctor climbed down the chimney of her lovers house and got stuck. She was found 4 days later dead :S Not a nice story to read, but I just couldn't help wondering , how in the name of god did she decide to climb down, or did she change her mind at the last minute and slip? Apparently her partner had left the house unnoticed, probably hoping she'd give up and leave and that's when she decided to take the chimney route. Very sad and unusual.

I saw a news article today in the irish independant. A female doctor climbed down the chimney of her lovers house and got stuck. She was found 4 days later dead :S Not a nice story to read, but I just couldn't help wondering , how in the name of god did she decide to climb down, or did she change her mind at the last minute and slip? Apparently her partner had left the house unnoticed, probably hoping she'd give up and leave and that's when she decided to take the chimney route. Very sad and unusual.

Hi Eliza, I read that today too and its so sad, apparently her and her lover have fallen out, he did not want to speak to her, and then as you mentioned, he left the house unnoticed, what an awful thing to happen.

Holidays

I did not realise this and I thought I was hard done by (well not really as I do get more than the average) I didn't realise there was such discrepancy in the US and that people didn't get an entitlement. And there was me bemoaning not living in a Catholic country and getting more holidays. :D

Yeah, we don't get anything guaranteed by law. But most people who work full-time get about 14 days per year.

Yeah, we don't get anything guaranteed by law. But most people who work full-time get about 14 days per year.

14 days thats terrible we start in my place at 22 which rises to 27 after 5 years and thats nothing compared to some other european countries. I use all of mine, sometimes on holiday and other where I just take a day off. Even those who work part time are entitled to leave I think by law (but don't quote me on that).

Nope, it's not required by law here, Pickle. In my experience when you start with a company you generally get 2 weeks, then you get more once you've been there longer. IMO I think it's a good thing because it helps people want to stay at places and earn their time off, you know? I've been with my company for 10 years and get 4 weeks vacation plus 3 personal days, and I worked hard for it! :D After 15 I'll get 5 weeks, then 20 gets me 6. We also have the option to buy a weeks worth of vacation, which they take out incrimentally from your paycheck. If you don't use it though they pay you back for it but it gets taxed, so if you buy it you better use it!

I count myself very lucky, I started off with 20 days leave then after 12 months it went up to 25. Now after 10+ years I get 30 days plus 8 days public and priviledge leave and I can also build up flexi time too. :D

I count myself very lucky, I started off with 20 days leave then after 12 months it went up to 25. Now after 10+ years I get 30 days plus 8 days public and priviledge leave and I can also build up flexi time too. :D

Reminds me of my leave allowance in the Revenue although we got 10 and a half bank holidays and priviledge days as well as flexi.

Wow, I didn't know that about the lack of leave entitlement in the US. That sucks!

I currently get 27 days paid annual leave (although this will rise to a maximum of 33) plus 8 bank/public holidays. I'm also extremely lucky in that I get sick pay too and if I remember correctly even on long-term sick we still get full pay for the first 6 months (not that I've ever had to use it mind). I guess I'm quite lucky in that respect.