What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

Indeed Imaginarium has been out for ages and (at least in London) has now gone away again; I myself only caught it at the most minuscule screen before it disappeared from cinemas.

I'd agree with Dimitra that the film was fantabulous, Gilliam is a madman and a genius rolled into one; it was like sitting in the middle of a Magritte painting - it helps that Magritte is my favourite painter of all time - while someone stirred your brain with an elegantly carved silver spoon.

The way they solved Heath's not being around to finish the film was simple yet ingenious, requiring very little tampering with the script or existing portions of the film. To say more would be to spoiler, although I can say that Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell (who, being particular friends of Heath all took time off from whatever they were doing and 'filled in' for him for as long as their schedules allowed, with their salaries going to Heath's daughter) did a good job of pulling the film together and saving Terry from utter bankruptcy.

I am incredibly glad I saw this, not to mention proud that I very randomly got to meet Terry, shake his hand and get his autograph when he was in Milan to promote the film.

Many thanks for your review! Here in the U.S.A. they have not yet released it: one interview said it would happen at Christmas, and another said after Christmas.

I have to admit: The Brothers Grimm almost sent me to the exit within 20 minutes, so I am hoping for a big comeback here! :D:jump::D

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself was forbidden from seeing The Brothers Grimm - it being apparently terrible was the reason OH didn't want to come with me to the cinema to see Parnassus, hence my going with a friend who also thought it was the bee's knees.

If you liked What Dreams May Come, you'll love this (WDMC is the only film I can think of which can even begin to kiss Parnassus's toes in terms of visual stunningness... it seriously looked like Terry spent the entire budget of a standard film on the first ten minutes of Parnassus).

It's not just visuals though, there's a story to be told and it's told well.

I also wanna see Where The Wild Things Are it seems like a movie I'd like. I also wanted to see Paranormal Activity lots of people said it was scary, but now I'm kind of like.. Meh.. too much hype. xD

I saw The Invention of Lying a couple weeks back, it was.. slow. Good storyline, bad ending, but very very slow. And I can't remember the other movie I watched before that.. :S

We are waiting for Avatar to come to this area, which I think is next week. Normally we go to the cinema in Dorking, but they can't afford to hire the 3D version, so we will probably have to go to Epsom instead.

I'm not sure whether I want to see Avatar yet. I'll wait for the reviews.

I saw 2012 yesterday. Not bad. Probably better than what I was expecting from an end-of-the-world flick. A few cringe-worthy moments, but that's what I was expecting.

I saw Paranormal Activity over the weekend and loved it. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. There was a great build up and the actors were really good at creating some tension. Two bits that stood out for me were:

Mika going up into the attic. I hate going up into mine in the daylight with someone with me!

and

when the thing started touching her and dragged her out of bed

I find the tension in films such as this and What Lies Beneath has me a lot more on edge than slasher films.

I'm treating myself to a movie this weekend if it's the last thing I do! I'll either being seeing 'A Serious Man' or 'Fantastic Mr. Fox,' both by some of my fave directors.

Oh, and this movie I'm treating myself to is in addition to you-know-what, which I'm seeing Friday night. I'm talking about seeing something I haven't already watched 4 times :17:.

I'm looking forward to seeing Avatar 3D, hopefully sooner rather than later! I seem to be in the minority regarding Paranormal Activity. Usually that type of movie freaks me out, but I just didn't like it at all and found it tedious and boring. Apparently various endings were shot, but obviously they chose the one they thought would give the biggest shriek (unfortunately not here!).

I'm going to see 'A Serious Man' tonight, peacefield, and then I really want to try and fit in a third visit to see that other one some time this week as well.

Woo-hoo on both counts for you, Chesil!! :17: Please let me know how you find A Serious Man, as it's by the Coen bros and a couple of my fave directors (plus they're from my home state so I have to be biased). And I hope you get to squeeze in the other one this week :D. Goodness knows it's a long time until the DVD comes out!

Ok, just got back after seeing 'A Serious Man'. I didn't really know much about the film before I got to the cinema, but this particular one produces an A4 fact sheet/write up about each film they show, so I had a quick read of this before I went in to the screening, but I still wasn't sure what to expect!

There was a sort of mini film before the titles, which I was a bit confused with, but by the end of the film I could see the relevance

- I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but best to be on the safe side. As far as the rest of the film goes, I enjoyed it a lot - it was an interesting and unique take on themes often covered in films. The cinematography and design were great and evoked the period very well.

My only complaint? The score. All the way through I kept thinking how similar some of the score seemed to the original Twilight film, and when I watched the credits at the end, lo and behold, it was by Carter Burwell. Not impressed.

Great review, Chesil, and I'm glad you liked it! Well, all except the score, LOL. How crazy though that you knew right away who it was?! I can't wait to see this one though, and no doubt things will look familiar to me since they filmed not far from here too. I always enjoy the Coen's cinematography, so I'm excited to see it :17:. Oh, did you see any interesting trailers beforehand?

I'm embarrassed to say we talked all the way through the trailers, so I have no idea what they were :17: I usually hate people who do that, but I hadn't seen my friend in a couple of months, and the cinema we went to is an indie/arty type of cinema and doesn't have the big, brash sound system that blasts out the trailers, so I hadn't even realised they'd started. We did stop talking as soon as the film started though.

I watched Avatar last night. Just WOW!!! Not, only terrific effects, but also compelling story-telling. you've got to watch this!

:I-Agree:Amazing isn't it? Big blockbuster action type films aren't usually my thing, but this is visually stunning, original and a great story. Really worth seeing it in 3D as well I think.