What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally off to see The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus tonight... w00t! I so hope it'll be good, I met Terry Gilliam a little while back while he was doing the rounds promoting the film and he's a lovely, warm, witty bloke so I really really want to like it.

I'm just about to go and see 2012. I'm up for a little bit of total destruction and mayhem!

How was it, Mac? It's not normally my type of movie, but the chance to swoon over John Cusack is always tempting...

I saw District 9 at the cheap theatre this afternoon. Second time I've seen it and loved it even more! :smile2:

How was it, Mac? It's not normally my type of movie, but the chance to swoon over John Cusack is always tempting...

As long as one goes with the attitude that you're going to switch off the brain and enjoy the action, it's good fun. Full of clich

Don't bother going to see 'The Men who stared at goats'....I didn't understand it :D funny in bits, but a bit odd and confusing. Only thing that was good about it was George Clooney and Ewan McGregor. :lol:

Thank you; I did. It was brilliant and Michael Caine is superb in it.

Just been talking with OH about seeing this - the viewings are quite late but your comment has helped me to decide to go :D

Just been talking with OH about seeing this - the viewings are quite late but your comment has helped me to decide to go :irked:

Did you enjoy it Judy?

Went to see Paranormal activity on Saturday. It was good but not as scary as the hype would suggest (is it ever?)

Did you enjoy it Judy?

Went to see Paranormal activity on Saturday. It was good but not as scary as the hype would suggest (is it ever?)

I thought it was a good film - but felt that Gran Turino (its American equivilant) was cleverer and more balanced - plus I found it very violent and quite depressing.

Nativity yesterday was a welcome relief! :irked:

The Imaginarium of Dr.Parnassus, it was absolutely fantastic!

Has that been released?!

I have heard nothing about it: in fact, the last I read anything about it, the news was dismal about any release before next summer!

For those who do not know, The Imaginarium of Dr.Parnassus is a Terry Gilliam movie which had Heath Ledger , whose death obviously caused problems for the still-unfinished film. Apparently some script adjustments took care of the problem(s).

So tell us more! :D

Indeed Imaginarium has been out for ages and (at least in London) has now gone away again; I myself only caught it at the most minuscule screen before it disappeared from cinemas.

I'd agree with Dimitra that the film was fantabulous, Gilliam is a madman and a genius rolled into one; it was like sitting in the middle of a Magritte painting - it helps that Magritte is my favourite painter of all time - while someone stirred your brain with an elegantly carved silver spoon.

The way they solved Heath's not being around to finish the film was simple yet ingenious, requiring very little tampering with the script or existing portions of the film. To say more would be to spoiler, although I can say that Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell (who, being particular friends of Heath all took time off from whatever they were doing and 'filled in' for him for as long as their schedules allowed, with their salaries going to Heath's daughter) did a good job of pulling the film together and saving Terry from utter bankruptcy.

I am incredibly glad I saw this, not to mention proud that I very randomly got to meet Terry, shake his hand and get his autograph when he was in Milan to promote the film.