What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

Finally saw Distric 9 yesterday.

I found it to be heavy, bleak, depressing and quite gory... and a top notch, WHOA!!! film. I squirmed, jumped and averted my eyes a fair bit, however nothing was gratuitous: the film is deep, layered, important. There's so many underlying themes the head spins in a good way, and a final message of hope so hopelessly depicted I couldn't help but let out the blubbering I'd been holding back for a while (for those of you who've seen it, one word will suffice:

flowers

... waaaah :D!).

In conclusion: recommended, but beware - this is not a film you can watch lightheartedly.

Edited by BookJumper

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nicely put, BookJumper, and I agree with everything you said. This was one of the best films I have seen in a very long time. So many things that happened in this film you can parallel with other events that have happened in the world. I would love to see Sharlto Copley get an Oscar nod for his performance!

Finally saw Distric 9 yesterday.

I found it to be heavy, bleak, depressing and quite gory... and a top notch, WHOA!!! film. I squirmed, jumped and averted my eyes a fair bit, however nothing was gratuitous: the film is deep, layered, important. There's so many underlying themes the head spins in a good way, and a final message of hope so hopelessly depicted I couldn't help but let out the blubbering I'd been holding back for a while (for those of you who've seen it, one word will suffice:

flowers

... waaaah :friends0:!).

In conclusion: recommended, but beware - this is not a film you can watch lightheartedly.

I loved District 9 too. I cried like a baby watching it.

I was so desperate for that alien and his son to get away... I was practically on the edge of my seat. I did find some parts (like when we were seeing the aliens that had been tested on and the aliens being shot) quite upsetting but I didn't find it at all OOT. It really did play around with my emotions though. I started off hating that main guy (can't remember his name) and ended up really feeling for him.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to see 9 last night, pretty cute film :welcome2:

I wanted to see 9 but it looks kinda sad. I know I sound wimpy but I get really attached to teh characters if they are in grave peril. For example, I cried at the first five minutes of WALL-E

Has anyone seen UP?

Has anyone seen UP?

I haven't yet but my sister and one of my best friends went to see it and said it was lovely, apparently it's got a really moving beginning but get cheerier as you go along. Re: the beginning, it made my friend cry - the hardened cynic who I've only ever seen cry at A.I. in 18 years...!

I love Nick Hornby's writing, Inver. How were Carey Mulligan and Alfred Molina in it? I think it opened up here in the US in limited release a couple weeks ago, so hopefully that means it's out in theatres by me now :tong:.

Nothing at all. I've not been to a cinema in years. While I do enjoy the atmosphere of it all I rather feel all the other people being there spoils it.
May I suggest going to see a film once it's been out absolutely forever? Me and OH went to see Wild Hogs (brilliant film, incidentally) shortly before it closed and the cinema was deserted, so we treated it like one big private viewing - shoes off, feet on the seats in front, maximum level of comfort and relaxation achieved :tong:!

I'm easily annoyed by my fellow cinema-goers. There always seems to be at least one group of people to keep talking throughout the film. On one occasion, these guys sitting in front of us had taken their shoes AND socks off and had their feet all up on the seats for all to see :tong:

OH and I had the screen all to ourselves once, that was a rare delight!

I haven't yet but my sister and one of my best friends went to see it and said it was lovely, apparently it's got a really moving beginning but get cheerier as you go along. Re: the beginning, it made my friend cry - the hardened cynic who I've only ever seen cry at A.I. in 18 years...!

Yes, the first ten minutes are very sad indeed. My boyfriend had tears in his eyes and the only other film I have seen him cry at was The Notebook :tong:

It is very funny though but not really a kids film I don't think

Today, I went to see "A christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey on 3D it was magical the visual effects were breathtaking!

I plan on seeing this, and in 3D too. I can't remember the last time I saw anything in 3D!

You can add me to the people who've enjoyed An Education, peacefield - I went to see it with a friend yesterday and we laughed, cringed and suffered quite contentedly; I'd give it a solid 9/10.

Excellent to hear, BookJumper! Can't wait to see this one :).