What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

The last film I went to see was Avatar and, though the blasted 3D gave me a headache during the first 10 minutes, I'm glad I saw it at the IMAX. It left me absolutely speechless - yes, the story was clich

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone seen the girl with the dragon tattoo yet? It came out in the UK yesterday

I hope to go and see it tomorrow - it's only on at the bigger cinemas, which for me means a trip to either Kingston or Guildford, but I am sure it will be worth it. The trailer looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D tonight. It was pretty good, I thought.

I'll probably be seeing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in the next week or two, and I'd love people's opinions on it (particularly on how bad the bad scenes are). Did you end up seeing it, Talisman?

And Dan, I saw on another thread that you were going to see it tonight. How'd it go?

Went to see Shutter Island yesterday. I liked it. Not what I expected by far, and at times it was predictable, like when

him actually being a patient in that place, not an outside reseacher, or him having mental problems..

that was no surprise. Or

his partner actually being a doctor there. Dr. Sheehan..

. Could go on like that for a while. But predictable doesn't always make for a bad film. It was intriguing, reminding me a bit of another film I love,

A beautiful mind

. That needed to be in spoilers because the theme is much the same..

conspiracy theory at first, unravelling to where you find out the lead character is not as sane as you thought, or he thought.

Also got the same vibe as The Aviator, Leonardo's acting really reminded me of him as Howard Hughes again, only far more likeable.

This film got me thinking too, is one of those films you need to watch more than once, when you know the clue, the whole film would change I think.

I enjoyed it.

DH and I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this afternoon. I thought it was a really good adaptation. They'd left out a few bits but nothing that spoiled my enjoyment of it. The essential story was right and I thought the actors were all excellent - especially Lisbeth. I hope it comes out on DVD.

Hubby hasn't read the book. He thought it was slow to start but enjoyed it overall.

I think because I knew what was coming, the film felt much faster to me than the 2

Edited by Janet

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a couple of weeks ago and concur with most of Janet's observations - I too will be buying the DVD as soon as it comes out, and can't wait to see the other 2 films. I have read all 3 of the books and definately thought the 2nd one was the best !

We also saw (Coran wasn't interested in Dragon Tattoo) Alice in Wonderland last weekend. It was okay, but I have seen better films. Johnny Depp was brilliant though, as was Helena Bonhan Carter, but it wasn't for some reason quite what I was expecting. I wasn't sure what I was expecting to be honest. We saw it in 3D - maybe I was a bit spoilt by seeing Avatar, as the effects didn't seem all that stunning somehow. I wasn't sure whether 3D really added anything.

The next film I want to see is Robin Hood - mainly because Russell Crowe is in it !

The next two films I plan on seeing at the cinema are Clash of the titans (April) and Prince of persia (May) - looking forward to both. :lurker: I saw a trailer for a film called 'whip it' today -supposed to be girl power for the 21st century - looks quite good tbh.

I saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed. Stephen Fry's Cheshire Cat was *squeeee*-worthy, Helena Bonham Carter made for a complex, misunderstood Red Queen and Johnny Depp's Hatter was quite interesting when I could actually understand what he was saying (though I do believe that the shifts in accent thickness were intentional).

However. Anne Hathaway was just bizarre as the White Queen (I wish she'd been played by Amy Adams, who has mastered the fine art of prancing around like she's in a fairytale without looking like a demented wet rag), Alan Rickman's Caterpillar was woefully underused, Crispin Glover's Stayne could have pressed that smouldering anti-hero button harder and, generally, there was no 'whoa!' factor such as the one I got after seeing Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Alright, but I expected better from Tim Burton.

I was also a bit underwhelmed, Giulia. I pretty much forgot the movie soon after I left the theatre. I did love the Cheshire Cat though. :lurker: I must say I got a few giggles out of Anne Hathaway doing the ridiculous queen bit, but then I haven't seen Amy Adams.

I also got a few giggles out of Anne Hathaway, trouble is I don't think we were meant to :lurker: Amy Adams played Giselle in Enchanted (a must-see film if you haven't, so cute, and one which I most certainly did not forget about the instant I left the cinema!) and is therefore the expert in behaving like a fairytale muppet and still coming off as real, emotionally complex and adorable.

Os and I went and saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday afternoon and then in the evening we saw Clash of the Titans.

I really enjoyed AiW but I'm always completely taken in by childlike fantasy stories. I know it was Tim Burton but it could have done to be a bit more colourful.

CotT was ok. It felt more like a computer game than a movie. I wouldn't rave about it but it was entertaining enough. Hooray for the men in skirts though! Lovely legs!

I went to see Percy Jackson the other day out of sheer boredom. It was... okay. I enjoyed some of it, but most things just put me off. I know it's probably supposed to be some sort of new take on Greek myth, but the interpretations of the gods were just bizarre... And it certainly isn't nearly as entertaining as that fancy movie poster would have you believe...