What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to watch Surrogates today, really enjoyed it :D Quite a funny thing happened too, before we went to the cinema my BF and I decided we were gonna get some pick & mix sweets for during the film, so as we settle into our seats, a little skit by Ricky Gervais comes on the screen for The Invention Of Lying, so I pick my sweets out of the carrier bag and put them on my lap and Ricky starts making a joke about the fat girl sat in the front row eating sweets....you guessed it, we were sat at the front row and I'm not the slimmest of people, and so as I looked behind me, EVERYONE in the cinema was staring at me with my sweets on my lap laughing, luckily I took it in good humour and laughed along but it was just such impeccable timing! Now I really want to go and see The Invention Of Lying :blush:

The last film we sent to see was Creation on Monday night. It has had a lot of criticism from scientists for concentrating on Darwin's life story rather than the science behind his theories, but personally I think this is a good thing if it brings the film to a wider audience.

If this rainy weather keeps up, we're planning on ditching our driving plans tomorrow and heading to see It Might Get Loud. I also was excited to see that A Serious Man has a limited opening starting tomorrow, so I would really like to see that ASAP.

I did end up seeing It Might Get Loud today and it was excellent!! It was so cool to see the likes of Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White all up on screen jamming away the hours. It was a nice mix of biography of each of the guys, their specific guitar styles, the guitars they use and how they ended up where they are musically. It was so neat to see these guys who are from different generations still be able to connect through the beauty of their music. I could watch any good guitarist, especially these three, for hours on end and I wouldn't get bored. I highly recommend if anyone is thinking of seeing this one :lol:.

I saw Surrogates yesterday and thought it was really good. It's set in a future world where humans have robots (surrogates) that they send out into the real world to do their stuff for them. Very thought-provoking.

I saw 'Zombieland' yesterday and it was very gory but very funny!, Woody Harrelson was hilarious :D

I loved this line ~ 'Nut up or Shut up' :lol:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus :P:10_confused::D:lol: It's a good film, really entertaining, but I have no idea what was happening! It was worth seeing for Heath Ledger/Johnny Depp :lol:

I saw The Imaginarium last night too. I found the plotline very clever.

Parnassus was making deals with the devil because he wanted to be immortal but the he became mortal and started from a younger age so that he could woo that woman he saw in teh street. the deal was that he could have that if he handed over any children they might have by the time they turn 16. At the age of 60 his wife fell pregnant. the devil had tricked him.

Tony was a bit of a weirdo. He was selling organs from third world children. His punishment was to be hung by the neck until dead but he cheated his way out of it. At the end the devil made another deal with Parnassus, if he could end Tony's life then he would give the daughter back. Parnassus tricked Tony into being hung.

The devil then said he didn't know where the daughter was because she is free - he cannot possess the daughter as she never sinned. She was just the prize.

At the very end Parnassus is given another chance, he finds his daughter and knows that she is happy and has her ideal life now. The devil winks at Parnassus at the end so I think it is over... I think Parnassus is just immortal and that he will die naturally.

The original sin was when Parnassus gave up on his faith and turned towards the devil - that is how the devil 'got him'

phew! that is what I think anyway. That is a very rambling and illiterate bunch of writing there but if you can get through it then good :D

It was good to see Heath Ledger though. I feel so bad for him - his career could have been so amazing.

Johnny Depp is my fave actor - I love him

That has helped clear it a bit for me. It was a good movie but it was very complex (or at least I thought so) and there were children in the cinema who were 8/9/10 who were just plain bored. I think it's because the trailers appear to be quite colourful and it's only a 12A (at least in the UK) which means that some people may have felt that it was suitable for children. However, I really felt for the two kids in front of me who were really bored (probably not understanding :P). I think I'll have to watch it again just to catch up on the bits I missed :D

That has helped clear it a bit for me. It was a good movie but it was very complex (or at least I thought so) and there were children in the cinema who were 8/9/10 who were just plain bored. I think it's because the trailers appear to be quite colourful and it's only a 12A (at least in the UK) which means that some people may have felt that it was suitable for children. However, I really felt for the two kids in front of me who were really bored (probably not understanding :P). I think I'll have to watch it again just to catch up on the bits I missed :D

I went at 9pm so it was all adults but I knew it was a 12a and I don't think I would want my children watching that. Like you said, it is quite complex but also I thought it was quite dark and whilst it doesn't dwell on human suffering it still showed people hanging by their necks. I wouldn't want my children watching that to be honest.

Maybe I'm just being silly though