The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Nollaig

Just thought I'd come and add my two-pence here.... I read Twilight and New Moon a while ago, when they first came out. At the risk of getting eaten by fangirls, I have to say I can't really see what all the fuss is about.

They're not awfully written, but nor are they literary masterpieces. I really wasn't moved to get the third one when it came out. Bella is a 'Mary-Sue' and Edward....vampires should not sparkle. It's not right :blush: I guess the werewolves were sort of cool but, then again, lots of people do werewolves.

I think to write of the age old battle between the lycanthropes and the vampires, and write it well, one needs an original take on it. While there were some inventive bits in Twilight, like the sparkling (as odd as it was) to me it just felt like an average vamp vs. werewolf book of no particular speciality.

What makes the books attractive besides hot guys and an angsty love triangle? (To you, I mean. I dislike angsty romance.)

Feel free to throw things at me now. Just nothing too sharp or that will stain, please.

Edited by Dusky

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the romance, I like the characters and it is a nice easy, satisying read. A very guilty pleasure for me! Twilight was the first book that I had read in ages that left me wanting more straight away, so much so I had to go out first thing the next morning to buy New Moon. I really cared about the characters (well most of them) and I wanted to know what happened to them.

Kookie is really into the Twilight book I purchased for my 'research'. Now she wants her own copy of the DVD ... good grief! I've created a monster! :D

Wooo-hoooooo Kookie!! Way to go! A girl after our own hearts :D. You should be proud, Charm!

Now be sure to get her the deluxe edition! Then she can watch the version with commentary and all the behind-the-scenes stuff :).

I buckled and downloaded the movie the other day. I saw it once at the cinema but it was before I read the book and I thought it was pretty terrible.

It was better than I thought, obviously. I still think it didn't focus enough on the reason I liked the first book so much, but I guess that was kind of difficult to translate into a movie.

TSK.

I'm still waiting for the release of the DVD here it's still going to be a month before release. I saw the film twice at the cinema though. And since I just finished Breaking Dawn at the end of last month I still had my fill of Edward (my Edward not Rob Pattinson).

Now I'm getting a bit anxious and I want to see the film again. How did Rob do Edward again, it's been since christmas since I saw it.

TSK.

I'm still waiting for the release of the DVD here it's still going to be a month before release. I saw the film twice at the cinema though. And since I just finished Breaking Dawn at the end of last month I still had my fill of Edward (my Edward not Rob Pattinson).

Now I'm getting a bit anxious and I want to see the film again. How did Rob do Edward again, it's been since christmas since I saw it.

The first time through I thought it was ridiculous, but watching it after having read the book I felt he did a pretty good job.

I do agree it's been done good,the film. Of course some pieces are missing but they can't put everything in there. I had just finished the second book when I went to see Twilight, the movie for the first time. By the time I went to see it for the second time a month had passed, I had gotten into the soundtrack(which I love by the way) and actually went to put the songs in the right places in the film.

The month in between had to do with the fact that it was released here in Belgium at the end of November and it got released in the UK in December, where I was at the time of release and didn't have anything to do one evening :D

:) *cheers on Kookie* :lol:

Wooo-hoooooo Kookie!! Way to go! A girl after our own hearts :D. You should be proud, Charm!

Now be sure to get her the deluxe edition! Then she can watch the version with commentary and all the behind-the-scenes stuff :D.

I knew you guys would say something like this .... what have I done? ...:D

The first time through I thought it was ridiculous, but watching it after having read the book I felt he did a pretty good job.

I agree. I think he had a lot of pressure on him because in the book Edward is so beautiful and perfect. I think he did a great job :D

I also agree that there are bits missing from the book that make the film a little strained. I felt that in the film they fell in love too quickly. Whereas in the book you can actually track it.

Well done on making another fan of Twilight Charm! :D

I agree. I think he had a lot of pressure on him because in the book Edward is so beautiful and perfect. I think he did a great job :D

I also agree that there are bits missing from the book that make the film a little strained. I felt that in the film they fell in love too quickly. Whereas in the book you can actually track it.

Well done on making another fan of Twilight Charm! :D

Exactly. In the book it was really pretty cool how it all happened. In the movie is was just like BANG! its done.

In my opinion, the falling in love part is the best bit of the book so I did miss that in the film. I do love the film though as I like to hold the film and the book as seperate things in my head.

As for RP playing Edward, I think he did a brilliant job. I know people moan about him, but everyone builds up their own image of how he will be in their head so whoever played the part wouldn't have lived up to everyones expectations.

I missed the part where Edward grabs the desk untill the wood groans under the strenght of his hands when she first sat beside him. It was the one thing I really really missed.

But beside that in the restaurant scene(film) I just thought the reading peoples minds part was hilarious

Ditto on what everyone has said about the two of them falling in love too fast in the movie, unlike how it happens in the book. The buildup was my favorite part! I'm trying to think though, how would they even begin to show slow-falling-in-love in the movie? In the commentary, Hardwicke mentions how some of the notes on early drafts of the script is that they indeed do fall in love too fast, but she never really addressed how they slowed it down. Can you imagine a movie from an early script rather than the one we actually got to see?

I thought RP did very well also, but I guess I'm a bit biased. Also the fact that I read the books after the hype started, so by the time I saw the film for the first time RP was in my head while I was reading them (and there he'll stay, lol).

In the film, he seems to follow her around for a few days and then she decides she loves him. He makes a few comments about staying away because he's not safe and she still follows him. This is without any conversations on their own so I'm not sure when she decides she loves him in the film. There seems to be no basis for it. That annoys me. Although I do like the films.

Sorry I'm waffling a bit now :D

I know what you mean Stephanie. I liked their lunch dates in the book and how he walked her to her lessons etc. He also came to check that she was okay after the biology lesson as she is a bit queezy at the sight of blood which sparked more rivalry with Mike.

When he picks her up to take her to school in the book and they get out of the car (RP looks VERY hot at this point in his shades), he puts his arm around her without any hesitation. Considering this is meant to be their first phycial contact, nothing was made of it.

I also believe that the meadow scene could have been handled a bit better. She touches his skin etc for the first time here in the book, this isn't covered at all in the film.

Yeah I agree Kimmy :D I love the meadow scene in the book - when he freaks out and runs away. It shows the edge to him which isn't highlighted in the film. I agree about the shades scene in the film :D That's a great look. I would have loved to see the blood testing scene too.

Today, for the first time, I've noticed an odd discrepancy between the book contents and the book cover. I'm re-reading Twilight, and I got to the chapter where Edward has saved Bella in Port Angeles, and at the end of the chapter are the lines:

About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how potent that part might be - that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

But in the blurb on the book cover, and in the film, the line is

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

At first I thought it was a difference between the film and the book, but was amazed when I put down the book and noticed the back cover that it was different as well. Surely, if you pick out a section to quote on the back cover, it ought to at least be the same as what's in the book!

Yeah I agree Kimmy :) I love the meadow scene in the book - when he freaks out and runs away. It shows the edge to him which isn't highlighted in the film. I agree about the shades scene in the film :D That's a great look. I would have loved to see the blood testing scene too.

I feel the urge to go and put the film on now :D

Today, for the first time, I've noticed an odd discrepancy between the book contents and the book cover. I'm re-reading Twilight, and I got to the chapter where Edward has saved Bella in Port Angeles, and at the end of the chapter are the lines:
Well spotted chesilbeach! I hadn't noticed that at all. I will check my book later. Which cover version of the book have you got? Do you think it is different depending on which version of the book you have?

Today, for the first time, I've noticed an odd discrepancy between the book contents and the book cover.

I never noticed that. I think I prefer 'dominant' though.

I started re-reading Twilight today as I finally got it back from my sisters. But I'm not really enjoying it as much as I have done in the past. I think it's because I know the story too well now and I'm being really critical of the writing style. Plus, when I spot a line which made it to the movie, I see/hear Kristen and Robert. Just not drawn to it as much. Maybe it'll change when I read the rest of them. :D

I feel the urge to go and put the film on now :)

Well spotted chesilbeach! I hadn't noticed that at all. I will check my book later. Which cover version of the book have you got? Do you think it is different depending on which version of the book you have?

I've got two paperback copies :D both with the apple in the hands, one 2008 edition and one 2009 with the advert for the DVD on the last page, and both have exactly the same, with potent on the inside and dominant on the back cover.