What really bugs you?

Chimera

Echo & Nollaig: I discussed this with a friend a while ago, mostly because it's been so freakishly hot here in Finland. The trick is not to take a cold shower, but a warm/hot one, because that makes your pores (?) open up or something and after the shower you'll feel cooler than usual for a period of time. I tried it and it did help a bit.

It sounds counterintuitive, but I'll give it a try today and see if I cool down more. I took a warm/lukewarm shower yesterday and was sweating like crazy for about an hour afterward.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it just a while ago, and felt very hot and icky right after it, but once I had gotten dressed and out of the steamy air in the bathroom, I am actually a bit cooler. I did have a bowl of cheerios with ice cold milk too though :lol:

I tried it just a while ago, and felt very hot and icky right after it, but once I had gotten dressed and out of the steamy air in the bathroom, I am actually a bit cooler.

Hm, did you really get dressed in the steamy bathroom? That would definitely contribute to sweating. 

Echo, I hope it works out for you :) 

Yay, more proof of it working :)  About the hot shower though, it will dry the skin more than a cold shower would, I think, and of course the longer the shower the more dry your skin will get.

This is true. Another issue is whether you have hard or soft water. Mine is hard, which does dry the skin. :(

I tend to use skin-softening soaps and moisturizers to counteract the drying.

This is true. Another issue is whether you have hard or soft water. Mine is hard, which does dry the skin. :(

I tend to use skin-softening soaps and moisturizers to counteract the drying.

We have pretty hard water, and I naturally have very dry skin, so obviously this doesn't help. I always use moisturizing body washes, but I need to get into the habit of putting on lotion afterward.

• 2 weeks later...
We have pretty hard water' date=' and I naturally have very dry skin, so obviously this doesn't help. I always use moisturizing body washes, but I need to get into the habit of putting on lotion afterward.[/quote']

My daughter suffers from dry skin and we found Oilatum added to the bathwater has helped a great deal. Though I don't know if it is available in your area Echo.

Edited by Vladd

Something that happened to me today. I was at an activity day for kids along with a bunch of other parents/carers (not my own kids but I look after them). I hate it when parents use this as an excuse for a meeting amongst themselves and don't even watch their kids. Quite a few times most of the children were running wild in the woodlands and not one of them got up unless the child came to them. It took a little girl falling out of a tree for a collection of mothers to actually see what their child was upto! You don't have to watch them every minute but you should know whether your child is in a tree!

Why do I have to pay to get my hands on my university transcripts, which I can't do without if I want to pursue an academic career? Alright, it's only £6.50, but that's not the point - the point is that it's a question of principle. Exactly what do £4000 of tuition fees cover?!

• 1 month later...

Rude people with a superiority complex.

What makes one person better than any other? In my book it's kindness, compassion, applied intelligence, modesty, good manners etc.

It's NOT money, celebrity, snobbishness, a bigger car, better figure etc etc. So why do so many people think they count?

That men feel like they are so much sicker when having a cold then women do.

I know! My boyfriend turns into an absolute baby when he gets sick, and always insists that his cold is SO MUCH worse than mine. :rolleyes:

When you're with a group of friends watching a movie, and one or several of them feel the need to constantly check their phone for texts, or send a text themselves, or find an excuse to look something up on the internet. Do people not realize how rude it is? Can you leave your phone in your bag for 2 hours and devote your attention to just having fun with your friends? Ugh, I just can't get over the inconsiderate-ness of it.

When you're with a group of friends watching a movie, and one or several of them feel the need to constantly check their phone for texts, or send a text themselves, or find an excuse to look something up on the internet. Do people not realize how rude it is? Can you leave your phone in your bag for 2 hours and devote your attention to just having fun with your friends? Ugh, I just can't get over the inconsiderate-ness of it.

That's so rude, I agree whole heartedly. It's like, why did you bother coming over at all to meet me and the other friends if you're going to be more interested in the texts you got on the phone. Like, go home and be by yourself and text you ass off. When I'm with friends, I don't bother with my cell phone at all, unless I know another friend is coming over and is texting about when they'll make it or something like that. We do use the internet quite a lot for checking out stuff but that's because we all want to know the stuff.

I have a few friends who are such total computer geeks that when they come over to have a few drinks before we go to the bar, some of them actually bring their laptops with them and IRC the whole time. Another friend IRCs over the cell phone or plays games. I've tried telling them off but it's no use. Luckily I now know who these people are and won't invite them over unless I'm fine with being on the computer myself the whole time.

Hehe, I remember when I met my BF the first time after we'd met at an Anathema gig and after we had talked over IRC a LOT. I was visiting friends in Helsinki and the I met with him to go eat sushi and then walked over to his place. He had his computer on and was talking to people over IRC and I said to him in a very nice way, why do you do that when you have people over, I think it's kind of rude and I might as well leave if you're going to carry on with that. He then realised I was right and he'd actually left me, his guest, unattended. After a couple of months when we were already an item he told me that he had actually been really impressed that I told him off about it. :blush:

Edited by frankie

At this very second, the constant hammering from my neighbour's flat, I know I shouldn't moan, he has only been decorating since January :irked: :irked:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks I've just joined, but over the last two years or so my Mother-in-Law and myself have come across "overstuffed" chairs, sofas, etc; , in all manner of books of all sorts both fiction and non-fiction. Does anyone have any explanation for this strange expression ? Presumably "stuffed" is enough and it doesn't need to be mentioned

Regards

Gordon

Someone 'borrowing' your things, without asking and then proceeding not to even return them when finished, so you have to go looking for your own stuff when you want to use it! Really, really annoys me. The thing is, if they'd just ask in the first place I'd probably say 'use away', but at least I'd get the chance to say 'leave it back when you're finished' or even know where to start looking for the thing I'm missing! :irked:

What makes one person better than any other? In my book it's kindness, compassion, applied intelligence, modesty, good manners etc.

When you're with a group of friends watching a movie, and one or several of them feel the need to constantly check their phone for texts, or send a text themselves, or find an excuse to look something up on the internet. Do people not realize how rude it is? Can you leave your phone in your bag for 2 hours and devote your attention to just having fun with your friends?

Couldn't agree more!

At this very second, the constant hammering from my neighbour's flat, I know I shouldn't moan, he has only been decorating since January :irked: :irked:

:-( that would drive me insane!

Someone 'borrowing' your things, without asking and then proceeding not to even return them when finished, so you have to go looking for your own stuff when you want to use it! Really, really annoys me. The thing is, if they'd just ask in the first place I'd probably say 'use away', but at least I'd get the chance to say 'leave it back when you're finished' or even know where to start looking for the thing I'm missing! :irked:

That would too!

My pet hate: people who talk over you when you're trying to say something - and interrupt you and talk louder than you to try and drown you out Grrrr!!!

People who sniff all the time..soryy I have had my work colleague doing it all day, she doesn't have a cold its an attention seeking device and although I have my headphones on I can still hear her.

People who ask polite questions and then betray their lack of interest by not listening to the answer. For instance:

Housemate: 'Hey, how are you?'

Me [pretty much in tears]: *shrug* 'Been better. You?'

Housemate: 'I'm good thanks' *walks out of front door*

... just don't ask, it's simpler and more honest.

• 2 weeks later...