What really bugs you?

Chimera

Back in Italy I once fell down half a flight of underground steps onto the platform. I couldn't move, let alone get up; I was lying flat, clutching my ankle, crying my eyes out [an ambulance later revealed a dislocation, I needed to borrow a wheelchair from A&E to get home], yet the only people who eventually stopped and struggled to get me to my feet were a middle-aged nun and an elderly couple. Literally hundreds of perfectly able-bodied students and city workers just looked past me and went on their ways.

That's an odd one though. There's a famous example mentioned in a few books where a woman got murdered in the street (I think it was a murder), witnessed by loads of people from their homes and nobody did anything. I think it's mentioned in 59 Seconds by Richard Wiseman and Freakonomics. Not sure.

I think Wiseman says that a lot of people don't help almost out of embarrassment and also because they think someone else will. If you look directly at someone and ask them for help it kind of lets them know they can. It puts the repsonsibility on them rather than it being spread out over everyone...so he explains it much better than I have but you get the point :D

Edit: I hope that didn't sound like I was trying to excuse everyone's actions or lack of them. It was still a horrible thing.

Edited by Steeeeve

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echo that's awful! When I got hit by a car last year there were people complaining because it caused a traffic jam (oh I'm so sorry me getting hit by a car has inconvenienced you), but that's much worse.

That's an odd one though. There's a famous example mentioned in a few books where a woman got murdered in the street (I think it was a murder), witnessed by loads of people from their homes and nobody did anything. I think it's mentioned in 59 Seconds by Richard Wiseman and Freakonomics. Not sure.

I think Wiseman says that a lot of people don't help almost out of embarrassment and also because they think someone else will. If you look directly at someone and ask them for help it kind of lets them know they can. It puts the repsonsibility on them rather than it being spread out over everyone...so he explains it much better than I have but you get the point :D

Yeah I've heard that one before. Also the worry that people may be putting themselves at risk. Sad but true.

Edited by Echo
consecutive posts

When people start to tell you something, and then stop. I'm guilty of doing this myself, but in my defense if it's genuinely annoying someone not to know, I WILL tell them. But conversations like this:

"Oh! That reminds me! .....Wait, nevermind."

"What?"

"No, it doesn't matter."

".....What?"

"Seriously, just forget it :D"

"What."

"NEVERMIND!"

"WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WH-"

Those really annoy me. Don't half say something.

:D I do that all the time. I'm always thinking "Ooo You Know What?" then realise it's something I shouldn't be telling that person, or it's really not interesting. I agree though, it is really annoying. It makes me more desperate to know, then when you find out it's like "Is that it?" ... "Yes, now you know why I didn't bother telling you" :lol:

Nearly everything bugs me as I have a very short fuse but I get annoyed by brainless bimbos who hang off the arms of sports stars. Apparently this is a worldwide phenomenon and not just confined to Australia. Do they know that they irritate most people? Do they care??:D

How did the book fair go Kylie? Did you get many books on your list. You may have mentioned this on another thread but I did not notice so sorry if I am getting you to repeat yourself.:D

Hi Nicola :D I haven't mentioned much about the books yet. I still have to get them all in order. I haven't even had a chance to tick them off my lists yet, but I think I did well. I'll be updating my reading blog tomorrow. :D

Another thing that bugs me: when you're having a really lovely evening somewhere, and one little incident happens to spoil the night. :( I was at an art exhibition last night having a wonderful time with my friend. We mainly went to see Van Gogh's Starry Night, which was very popular with everyone.

We went and stood near the painting and then edged closer when the way cleared. I'm of average height and my friend is tall, so he stood behind me and stooped over and put his head on my shoulder so he was the same height as me. He checked beforehand that he wasn't blocking anyone's view and we were standing a couple of feet back from the rope so we were in the front but there were people on either side.

So we stood there for just a few minutes in a group of other people looking at the painting. Then a woman arrived next to us and said 'excuse me, I can't see around you and no-one else can either'. I understand that everyone wants to see the painting, but it was accepted by everyone else throughout the entire exhibition that you wait until people move on before you view the painting.

We were not blocking everyone's view and we couldn't have shrunk ourselves any smaller. Why can't people be patient for a couple of minutes while the people in front get their fill and then move on? We had people walk right in front of us to view paintings but we were able to wait patiently until they moved. I travelled 3 hours to see this one painting and this was my second attempt at it. I was not about to give it a passing, cursory glance. :lol:

It really put a damper on things. My friend is so nice and polite and conscious of other people and I was so upset on his behalf that I couldn't help but remind the woman that 'everyone will get their chance to see the painting'.

/rant (wow, I've been ranting a lot lately, sorry!)

Man, Kylie, how annoying! That woman sounds really rude, saying that to you and then speaking for other people like that. That's what art exhibits are, waiting your turn to see something and being polite in the process. Especially when you have an exhibit like that where there are such well-known pieces that everyone will want to see, you just have to be patient!

You can only see so much of a painting from far back or off to the side, you need at least a minute or two to look at it as close as you can (without setting off alarms) and from a nice vantage point. I'm glad you said something to her.

I get really annoyed at the museum when people go right up to a middle of a painting and stand there forever. Like they are oblivious that there might be someone else wanting to have a peek. The impolite people I guess are annoying to me.

I think Wiseman says that a lot of people don't help almost out of embarrassment and also because they think someone else will. If you look directly at someone and ask them for help it kind of lets them know they can. It puts the repsonsibility on them rather than it being spread out over everyone..

Nowadays in certain areas it not safe because you don't know if you going to help someone you get attacked.

In this and every other similar instance, I have always asked for help to people directly; the 'certain areas' dilemma didn't apply either - the example above happened in Milan's city centre, in a safe & sound university district with no gangs etc. It's just that, quite simply, people in big cities often are too self-focuses to give a :D about anybody else's pain.

Man, Kylie, how annoying! That woman sounds really rude, saying that to you and then speaking for other people like that. That's what art exhibits are, waiting your turn to see something and being polite in the process. Especially when you have an exhibit like that where there are such well-known pieces that everyone will want to see, you just have to be patient!

You can only see so much of a painting from far back or off to the side, you need at least a minute or two to look at it as close as you can (without setting off alarms) and from a nice vantage point. I'm glad you said something to her.

I get really annoyed at the museum when people go right up to a middle of a painting and stand there forever. Like they are oblivious that there might be someone else wanting to have a peek. The impolite people I guess are annoying to me.

It was more annoying because we'd been trying to be so conscious of others all the time. I wasn't as close as I would like to have been and certainly nowhere near as close as I could have been standing. Later on I went back and got closer, but off to the side so I wasn't blocking it. I only stayed for about two seconds because I was too worried about blocking others' views.

Kylie, don't you realise that that woman was obviously far more important than you and couldn't possibly wait a few moments? :( Some people are so rude... hope you still managed to enjoy the painting. :D

That's terrible! It reminds me of an incident here a few years ago. A distraught woman was standing on the Ship Canal Bridge in Seattle (which is part of Interstate 5, a very busy freeway), contemplating suicide. This bridge is very, very high. She had caused traffic to stop, and while the police were trying to talk her down, the irritated drivers were all shouting at her to jump...which she did. Somehow she survived, but just barely. I can't believe people would urge a distraught woman to end her life, just so they can get out of a traffic jam! :lol:

There was a bit in the paper a few days ago... A woman had been threatening to throw herself off a high place and was holding up traffic. An idiot DJ called Steve Penk (no, me neither) said over the air that she should hurry up and do it, then played Jump by Van Halen!! :D

Back in Italy I once fell down half a flight of underground steps onto the platform. I couldn't move, let alone get up; I was lying flat, clutching my ankle, crying my eyes out [an ambulance later revealed a dislocation, I needed to borrow a wheelchair from A&E to get home], yet the only people who eventually stopped and struggled to get me to my feet were a middle-aged nun and an elderly couple. Literally hundreds of perfectly able-bodied students and city workers just looked past me and went on their ways.

I remember once I was in town with my mum and an elderly lady was lying on the ground. Everyone was just ignoring her, and we actually heard people saying things like "fancy being drunk at this time of the morning". She wasn't drunk, she had had a bad fall. We called an ambulance and stayed with her until it came, but no-one else bothered. I don't know why people jump to conclusions like that. :D

My personal bug-bear is when you have been using a product for years and then suddenly it had the dreaded words "New and improved recipe/formula" plastered all over it. And now it's rubbish!! This has happened to me recently with Morrison's chicken and pasta bake, Aldi's fromage frais and Nivea lipsalve. They never actually improve things. Stop ruining things - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! :D

My personal bug-bear is when you have been using a product for years and then suddenly it had the dreaded words "New and improved recipe/formula" plastered all over it. And now it's rubbish!! This has happened to me recently with Morrison's chicken and pasta bake, Aldi's fromage frais and Nivea lipsalve. They never actually improve things. Stop ruining things - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! :lol:

Or when it's completely discontinued! That always seems to happen with my favourite/can't-do-without products :D

It bugs me when they change shampoo smells. I didn't get a referendum on Herbal essence infusions. They smelt better before. Oh same goes with fabric conditioner....and where do they come up with the ridiculous names?? Are they kidding? Are they on drugs? Stop improving, repackaging and rebranding and stop sticking 50p on the price. :motz::motz::motz:

The supermarket really bugs me. I can feel my teeth grinding as I pull into the car park. There's so much to hate.

This probably sounds dumb, but it REALLY annoys me when people chew with their mouth open. First of all, I do not want to hear you gnawing on a piece of food. The sound alone drives me up a wall, but when someone is facing you and their mouth is gaping open and you can see it... ugh... gross. No thank you. I would have become a doctor if I had wanted to examine partially digested gastrointestional contents.

The supermarket really bugs me. I can feel my teeth grinding as I pull into the car park. There's so much to hate.

I hate it when they change the layout of the store. You get used to the new layout and then they change it again! :motz:

Our neighbours, they save all of their arguments for the weekend and then argue for two days :motz:

A couple up the street had a fight at twenty past seven this morning. The wife came out in her pj's followed by her husband calling her very very unflattering names. She planted him with one of the greatest right hooks i've ever seen. He got up and ran inside, she ran after him but he got the door closed so she picked up her ornamental frog from the garden and put it through the window. Crazy!

A couple up the street had a fight at twenty past seven this morning. The wife came out in her pj's followed by her husband calling her very very unflattering names. She planted him with one of the greatest right hooks i've ever seen. He got up and ran inside, she ran after him but he got the door closed so she picked up her ornamental frog from the garden and put it through the window. Crazy!

Blimey ned :motz:

Kylie, don't you realise that that woman was obviously far more important than you and couldn't possibly wait a few moments? :motz: Some people are so rude... hope you still managed to enjoy the painting. :P

:motz: My mistake! I'll try to remember my place in future. And yes, I still enjoyed the painting a great deal.

The fact that you have just reminded me of that bugs me:lol:

Certain parts of the NHS; (No Hope if you're Sick); 'Wrightington Hospital in particular whom it seems have a policy that each time you phone it is mandatory for it to ring at least 30 times before it's answered, main reception included!

Jim

Edited by Jim Mappelle

Stroppy memos from my boss like the one I got this morning stating that standards of hygiene has slipped and if it continues he will take 'appropriate action'. Like, getting another member of staff in to help, or acknowledging the fact that I worked twice my normal hours for 10 weeks while one of the other housekeepers was off sick or bothering to say thank you for that - what's that I see in the sky - a pink pig !

He's all hot air anyway, he won't do anything !

Raven reminded me of this in another thread - Pubs that don't have a dancefloor but still play their music so loud you have to shout to be heard. I don't understand the point of it. And it usually happens that the music will be quiet till a certain time then when it hits about 8pm they start blasting it out.

Maybe I'm just an old man.