What really bugs you?

Chimera

The thing that used to annoy me more than anything when I worked in a supermarket were the selfish idiots who expected you to not only scan, but also pack their entire load of shopping, and did not lift even one finger to help or even say thank you ! Also supervisors who stood around chatting and ignoring your calls for help. Small change I never minded - except at really busy times like Christmas.

What annoys me now is going to the supermarket and finding something I like is on three for two and that they only have 2 left !

What really annoys me though is late night phone calls from idiots such as a certain relative of mine, which interrrupt our sleep and leave us tossing and turning for the rest of the night, especially when I have somewhere important to go the following day.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that used to annoy me more than anything when I worked in a supermarket were the selfish idiots who expected you to not only scan, but also pack their entire load of shopping

When a cashier doesnt pack my stuff automatically as he/she scans it that really really really :friends0: me off.

My local CK's have the most miserable socially inept cashiers on earth they scan it and just throw it in a pile at the end of the counter, then give you a dumb look as if to say go on then! grrrrrrrr and I feel like saying you're a cashier it's your job to put it in a :lol: bag!!!!!!!:hug:

When a cashier doesnt pack my stuff automatically as he/she scans it that really really really :friends0: me off.

My local CK's have the most miserable socially inept cashiers on earth they scan it and just throw it in a pile at the end of the counter, then give you a dumb look as if to say go on then! grrrrrrrr and I feel like saying you're a cashier it's your job to put it in a :lol: bag!!!!!!!:hug:

I think it depends where it is. If it's like a big supermarket where the end of the counter is at the bottom of a ramp and they just sort of slide the items down then it should be packed by the customer (although some places have the dedicated packers now). In those places the cashier never gets a let up. They don't have time to be packing people's food for them.

Also I don't expect cashiers to be especially cheery. Nine hours of monotony for low pay where they get treated like **** by most people. I can't say I'd be all that happy doing that.

In fact one thing that always bugged me is customers telling me to cheer up. Or anyone telling me to cheer up. I can't swear on here but I think everyone can guess what I feel like telling them to do.

As if I'd be so happy at work I wouldn't be able to keep a smile off my face. Or as if when I'm not smiling I must be miserable!

I think it depends where it is. If it's like a big supermarket where the end of the counter is at the bottom of a ramp and they just sort of slide the items down then it should be packed by the customer (although some places have the dedicated packers now). In those places the cashier never gets a let up. They don't have time to be packing people's food for them.

Also I don't expect cashiers to be especially cheery. Nine hours of monotony for low pay where they get treated like **** by most people. I can't say I'd be all that happy doing that.

In fact one thing that always bugged me is customers telling me to cheer up. Or anyone telling me to cheer up. I can't swear on here but I think everyone can guess what I feel like telling them to do.

As if I'd be so happy at work I wouldn't be able to keep a smile off my face. Or as if when I'm not smiling I must be miserable!

I dont expect them to be cheery, but the cashiers i'm talking about are down right rude have no social skills and have no business being in customer service, at the end of the day if you are in customer service being cheery whether its fake or not should be a basic skill.

I agree with you where they slide your stuff down a ramp, but in my experience thse places are the ones where the cashier will offer to help you every single time. Like in Asda, my local one is like an aircraft hanger but the cashiers will help you no question.

Personally I always felt as a cashier that, where convenient, it was just plain politeness for the customer to pack their bag. Specially if there was a queue at the checkout. But I deal in efficiency, not decorum. I'm more logical. To me, taking all your cr*p out of the basket and putting it on the belt is utterly pointless and usually annoyingly slow, and then standing there waiting for me to pack it is just stupid. I'll take it out of the basket, you pack.

But that's not to say I didn't do what they wanted - I did.

What really bugs me right now? People who say one thing, and then ambiguously say something else that potentially completely contradicts the original statement. It's infuriating.

I doubt customers could pack their bags here even here even if we wanted to. There's no two ways about it; the cashier packs the groceries for us. I'm not sure about the set-up elsewhere in the world, but the bag is right below the scanner so they just scan and place the item straight in the bag. It would be much slower for the customer to pack themselves.

Here in the States there are mainly two kinds of grocery stores, the huge super market type where you bag your own, and then more expensive stores where they have 2 people at each register, the cashier and the bag-person. Otherwise there are other small places where the cashier rings you up and bags. It really just depends on where you go :friends0:.

Really? I don't mind packing my bags but that's because I've had enough 15 yr old's place my milk and bread in the same bag to know not to trust them. I just went to the store Sunday morning and bagged my own stuff. :friends0:

As a former cashier/sacker they do make you watch a video and train here (at least both stores where I worked did) but that doesn't always mean they will follow the 'training'.

I doubt customers could pack their bags here even here even if we wanted to. There's no two ways about it; the cashier packs the groceries for us. I'm not sure about the set-up elsewhere in the world, but the bag is right below the scanner so they just scan and place the item straight in the bag. It would be much slower for the customer to pack themselves.

Where I worked we had big wide slanted counters next to our scanners, designed to slide stuff down and to hold a large quantity of stuff. That to me does not say, 'bag as you go'. Also, you have to stand up to physically reach the end of said counter.

Although, they stand in other countries don't they? Here we have legislation about standing for a certain period of time and being allowed to sit after that. I had an American tell me I was doing really well with my chair behind my checkout because in America 'everyone has to stand for 9 hours'. I felt like saying, 'tough, my country is better then, don't take it out on me'. Not to mention I often had to stand for nine hours at the ice-cream/cigarettes kiosk in complete violation of said legislation ANYWAY.

We don't really have any sort of slide for the groceries go down. They just lift the bag onto the counter when they're done packing and we lift it into our trolley (if we have one). It's interesting how countries differ in these tiny points.

Our cashiers have to stand all day. I think it's a terrific idea to have a seat for them. I used to work at Maccas and had to stand for 8-hour shifts. Even though I got to walk around at least, it's still a killer!

Poor cashiers :friends0:

I'm sorry but when I go shopping which I hate anyway, it is the job of the staff in the shop to make it as efficient and painless experience as possible, I do not want to deal with an overgrown stroppy teenagers problems I want to spend my money then go.

It's customer service! If you dont feel happy then fake it, if you cant fake it then leave.

I've actually stopped using my local store as much because of their stroppy staff and I would rather drive double the distance to a place where they are happy to help you/take your money.

It's customer service! If you dont feel happy then fake it, if you cant fake it then leave.

That's exactly why in the end I did leave - I couldn't put that mask on anymore. It was just too difficult, bearing in mind that at the time my partner was seriously ill, having lost more than 2 stone in less than 6 months.

The supermarket I worked in (for about 2 years) was one of the largest in the country and one of Sainsbury's flagships (I don't suppose it matters that I mention the name when I left there more than 6 years ago). They had over 200 cashiers, and yet just 3 bag packers - most of the time the supervisors used to help, when they weren't standing around chatting that is ! Most people probably won't realise this, but the average cashier lifts around twice their own body weight in groceries every other hour - by asking us to both scan and pack, that is doubled to four times our body weight, and I am smaller and lighter than average - at least I was then ! This then places an unacceptable strain on our backs, necks and shoulders - especially from a seated position, which we need in order to operate the conveyer belt properly (if you are my height anyway). This is the reason why after a year and half in this job I had to go and see a chiropractor - and also one of the reasons I left, that and boredom and being left on the till for over an hour one day calling for some relief so that I could go to the toilet - that gave a whole new meaning to the term peed off I can tell you !

Going back to the bag packing though, not only were they expecting us to put our health at risk, but they were also slowing us down, meaning that we didn't hit our speed targets, and were therefore constantly being moaned at for being too slow. Quite apart from the fact that we were being asked to do two jobs while being paid for just one. Many people (present company excepted) seem to think that people who do these jobs are uneducated and a bit thick, as if that is some kind of excuse for treating us badly, but they are the ones who are uneducated, as they clearly don't think about how their actions affect others.

All of the above is why I always treat cashiers and shop staff in general with the greatest courtesy and respect, even if the company they work for happens to be run by idiots - it's not their fault and they are just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. In the end I got fed up with selling meaningless **** to people with more money than sense and got out of the industry altogether to work in a nursing home. It was one of the best things I ever did.

Well that's my rant over for the day !

Edited by Talisman

When I used to work for Kwik Save (that's a blast from the past), they had a system where the cashier had a spare trolley at their checkout. The customer would wheel their laden trolley up to this other one, the cashier would have to lean right across and down and physically pick each item up out of the customer's trolley, enter the price (this was when we had to memorise all the prices), and place it in the empty trolley. The customer would then take this trolley over to the side to pack at their leisure. No wonder I knackered my back working there. :friends0:

I don't expect cashiers to pack my bags for me in the supermarket I go to (Morrison's). Sometimes they ask if I need help, but I always say no.

I know being a cashier is a lame job and don't expect them to be overly cheery or anything; I also don't expect them to pack my stuff.

However, considering it's quite obvious I need help (I have problems standing up and my coordination and multitasking skills are appalling so you can really see me struggle as I narrowly avoid falling over while trying to pay and unstick the silly plastic bags at the same time) it would be nice if they asked rather than looking at me like I'm a spaz.

Yes, I know I'm a spaz. Can I have a hand now please? I never say it but boy do I feel like it.

I know being a cashier is a lame job and don't expect them to be overly cheery or anything; I also don't expect them to pack my stuff.

However, considering it's quite obvious I need help (I have problems standing up and my coordination and multitasking skills are appalling so you can really see me struggle as I narrowly avoid falling over while trying to pay and unstick the silly plastic bags at the same time) it would be nice if they asked rather than looking at me like I'm a spaz.

Yes, I know I'm a spaz. Can I have a hand now please? I never say it but boy do I feel like it.

I'd be complaining to the Manager without a seconds thought, it's why they are there! if they are not helping you they are not doing their job. why cant people grasp that?

A cashiers, any shop staff's health and/or hapiness is not, as a customer your concern

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

I totally agree being a cashier must be a totally un-fun type of job to have, and I always try to be polite and friendly to shop assistants wherever I am.

But I do like it if they pack for me while I am still unloading my trolley and I take over once I get to the other end, as otherwise there is a huge of backlog for me to start packing and it takes ages and holds up the rest of the queue. Most cashiers here do that automatically as they can just put the items in the bag instead of shoving it down the slope, and most help with your last bag as well once they have finished scanning and you are still packing at the other end.

What I hate is when they deliberately scan really, really slowly when you are still unloading your trolley, but then once you are at the packing end whiz your stuff through like lightning so there is no chance for you to keep up (not many of them do this, but I had one today - I am still feeling all flustered!). And then ask you for your money etc when you are still rushing to pack, and make it clear they are cross when you finish packing first and then pay them.

Although it's not obvious to anyone looking at me, I have a bad back and very bad neck and sometimes I am so weak I can barely stand up, and bending forward to unload my trolley and also to pack is often very, very painful for me, so all help I get is always very much appreciated and I always make sure to say thanks for it. :friends0:

I have problems standing up and my coordination and multitasking skills are appalling so you can really see me struggle as I narrowly avoid falling over while trying to pay and unstick the silly plastic bags at the same time)

In a situation like this, it goes without saying that the cashier should offer help as a matter of course - like you say, it is what customer service is all about.

Poor cashiers :friends0:

I'm sorry but when I go shopping which I hate anyway, it is the job of the staff in the shop to make it as efficient and painless experience as possible, I do not want to deal with an overgrown stroppy teenagers problems I want to spend my money then go.

That's all well and good JCW but they're people too. I DIDN'T have a choice about being a cashier - I didn't have the option of leaving because I had no other way to put myself through college and I'm from an 800 pop. town with two supermarkets and a whole lot of nothing else!

And I'm only playing Devil's advocate here because I was a superb cashier, the one thing that was ALWAYS complimented was my outstanding customer service, but the point is stroppy or not they're people too and you shouldn't be so dismissive just because they're cashiers. That's not fair. It's not an easy job, and while I agree a job is and a job and has to be done as such, the way you say 'poor cashiers' is really insenstive and selfish.

/Rant.

But I do like it if they pack for me while I am still unloading my trolley and I take over once I get to the other end, as otherwise there is a huge of backlog for me to start packing and it takes ages and holds up the rest of the queue.

I always filled up my area, then stopped to pack it all up, if the customer was helping then great because we'd discuss what went where, then refilled the area again, then finished packing. It would have been impossible to pack directly as the counter was so high. I also ALWAYS waited until everything was packed and the purse or wallet was in their hand to say how much it cost, and made the next customer wait until my previous one had their stuff under control - nothing annoys me more than trying to grab all my bags while someone else's **** is being flung towards me.

Also, it's worth pointing out this method IS how Ireland does things, anywhere you go that's what it's like, I wasn't just not arsing with the packing. Except in Lidl and Aldi where you pack yourself like it's a race. I couldn't work there, it would go against my nature to force customers to pack quickly like that.

Edited by Nollaig

A cashiers, any shop staff's health and/or hapiness is not, as a customer your concern

It should be - because happy staff give better service. We should all remember that, and walk a mile in their shoes before we start to criticise.

It should be - because happy staff give better service. We should all remember that, and walk a mile in their shoes before we start to criticise.

Thank you June. You are EXACTLY right.

I was given a very hard time by some customers, and I kept a smile on my face, but sometimes I just wanted to pack in it and forget about college. It works both ways - I ALWAYS try to make people's lives more pleasant in my interactions. In shops, I'll take everything out of the basket though I hated that as a cashier, I'll pack all my own stuff because I prefer to anyway, I'll say 'how are you?' and 'please' and 'thank you' and 'have a good day'. If they're cheery, they'll appreciate it, and if they're moody, they'll think I'm being sarcastic and that's what they get. All employees everywhere are people too, and their health and happiness is important.

When someone is in the bathroom and you need to go to the toilet but they take their time, then when you are in there and they need to go they bang on the door and shout until you open up :lol:

Hear, Hear, exactly that I think most of the time! My reply to my brother banging on the door is 'imagine I am Grandma, you wouldn't be cursing her and telling her to get out now would you and you can go wee in a bottle anyway, I cannot as I do not have a she wee :hug:

NEWSFLASH - You are going to have to deal with ******** whatever job you do, they are part of life unfortunately.

Indeed, people are *beeps* everywhere, we should all be polite and aid whoever we come into contact with if they need it and we have the time. I even felt bad today about a woman trying to get out of her garden gate with a double buggy this morning when passing her garden walking home. Honestly she looked the type to tell me to F Off if I had tried to help but then also thought her face was sending messages of 'oh thanks for nothing, walking by when i'm struggling' so sometimes you can never win. As for the shop thing, THANK GOD FOR SELF SERVICE MACHINES or I would have killed someone by now (although they can be annoying but less annoying than having to come into contact with certain people) :friends0:

I have been disturbed in my cave every evening for the last week by MP and council wannabes.

Is it any wonder they get growled at?

Oh Lord how I loathe them and their fakery, their feigned empathy, their oily charm. Eeeewwww.

Whilst I'm sure in amongst that shower there are some decent folks and MP's that genuinely do a good job looking after their constituents rather than their careers, but I think that they are in a massive minority.

My last MP was one of the horrors that is being taken to court over the expenses scandal, the four of them are hiding behind parlimentary privilege, and I read in the news today that they are entitled to legal aid:motz:

I'm entering a short story comp, my entry is about a woman who loses her job, her home, her partner and after reading about her MP's excesses breaks into his country home and holds him hostage.

It's a two hander. It might not win, but at least its topical, and very therapeutic.

It's not a true story. YET!!!!!!