Susan Boyle / Britain's Got Talent

SueK

I thought Susan Boyle was great and it took a lot of courage to go up on that stage, she sung her heart out, good for her!

I think the stripper (Fabia?) had guts to do that! I was a bit taken aback though by the time it got to the end of her act, no one really knew where to look :lol:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed Flawless.. Wasn't there a dance group like that last year? The name escapes me. I would love to see them go far; sick of singers and singing competition, so I think it's time for an act with some veriaty to win it.

I was so disappointed with the witch. I was hoping she would do some magic :lol:

As if they phoned her back up to "get rid of the curse" :roll:

What was her talent? I didn't see her do anything apart from the curse thing. I know she had a cauldron on the stage but I'm unsure what she was doing.

I really enjoyed Flawless.. Wasn't there a dance group like that last year? The name escapes me. I would love to see them go far; sick of singers and singing competition, so I think it's time for an act with some veriaty to win it.

Yes,there was a very similar group to Flawless last year,although their name escapes me. I think they went quite far in the compettion. I thought they were better than the eventual winner last year,George Sampson,though I did like his 'Singin' In the Rain' routine.

All she did was waggle herself about and they all said yes! I thought they were gonna tell her to get off the stage, I really didn't get that. No talent whatsoever. :lol:

Same here! I was gobsmacked that they put her through! I expected them all to push their buzzers as soon as she started stripping. I mean what?? :eek:Totally shocked :roll:

Same here! I was gobsmacked that they put her through! I expected them all to push their buzzers as soon as she started stripping. I mean what?? :eek:Totally shocked :D

All she showed was that Britain's Got Guts! :lol:

Good Evans - Mum and son can sing really well, Dad has an OK voice, but the daughters are terrible! I know they'r eonly little, but they're dreadful! They should NOT have gone through just because the kids were cute! :lol:

Flawless - superb dance act that live up to their name!

Stavros Flatley - hilarious and genuinely brilliant! I LOVED these guys! :lol:

I must add, however, I've not actually watched the programme - I just caught these on YouTube.

Edited by Kell

Susan Boyle.......A Star is Born.

She is absolutely amazing. The girl can sing, what a voice. Anyone that enjoys music cannot help but like her singing and she is a Princess on top of it all, with her personality.

All she showed was that Britain's Got Guts! :lol:.

Well thats one word for them :D

Flawless - superb dance act that live up to their name!

Stavros Flatley - hilarious and genuinely brilliant! I LOVED these guys! :lol:

Couldn't agree more!:lol:

Can I be a little contraversial here and suggest that, were Susan Boyle gorgeous, nobody would have taken any more notice than they would of a girl on X Factor? Leona Lewis used to work in a chippy, but because she's young and pretty the world didn't go nuts. It was the EXACT same with Paul Potts.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.. she does have a nice voice, but as I said before, I have heard that song sung better.. and yes, it was live. I also think that if she was young and pretty, the reaction wouldn't have been the same.

Sorry Michelle, I didn't read the entire thread, I just knew a few different people had been saying she was amazing.

No, she's not. She's good. She can sing. Not as well as Paul Potts - HE had me in tears. As opera singers go, Susan was mediocre to me. I've heard that song sung much better, but not only is she loved BECAUSE she's ordinary looking, people exaggerate her talent and suddenly become entirely unsuperficial about appearances. It's all about making a point, not having talent.

ETA: Oh yes, I did see your post, and responded briefly at the time. Anyway, general point is: Michelle and I are right, people. :lol:

Edited by Nollaig

No, she's not. She's good. She can sing. Not as well as Paul Potts - HE had me in tears. As opera singers go, Susan was mediocre to me. I've heard that song sung much better, but not only is she loved BECAUSE she's ordinary looking, people exaggerate her talent and suddenly become entirely unsuperficial about appearances. It's all about making a point, not having talent.

And I agree completely. I personally know several people who have far better voices than she does. That's not to detract from the fact that she has a lovely voice, but it's not an amazing voice. It's all down to perception - nobody, looking at her, would think she could sing at all, and then she opens her mouth... Like you said, if she was young and thin, they would have thought differently and, in fact, may well have turned her away as ALL the young, pretty ones do unless they're amazing.

Ah me, Paul Potts he broke my heart. I am not kidding. And I bought for my family member his first CD and it still makes me tremble.

I am never understanding for the most part when I have the privelege of viewing at a friends, how one wins and one doesn't. I do not always think it is so cut and dried.

But the number of different people trying to win is beyond my thinking. I would not have 'the guts' as you say. And I was in a rock band for quite a while and we had a good following. That is one thing, but to go on the national television, me I am too scared!

Disagree with her having an average voice. She will be making a recording in the near future, I am sure, and then we will see how well it sells. Besides, it takes more than just a voice to be a great singing artist. Frank Sinatra did not have a "great voice", but how he delivered the song was was head-and-tails better than anyone else.

On the subject of looks, Britney Spears can't sing at all and if she looked like Susan Boyle she would be working at McDonalds. :lol:

Well, you sorta just proved my point there.

A) Susan Boyle will record something and it will probably sell. I agree. (And I believe she's mediocre.)

:lol: Britney Spears can't sing, and she's internationally reknowned.

C) Therefore, it's not about talent, it's about your image. And the common aul old whose never had fame is just as good an image as size 8 with blonde hair and a school girl outfit.

:D

(Also, let it be known I'm not arguing, this isn't personally picking on you Muggle, I just have strong opinions about the entertainment/music industry.)

Edited by Nollaig

Well, you sorta just proved my point there.

A) Susan Boyle will record something and it will probably sell. I agree. (And I believe she's mediocre.)

:lol: Britney Spears can't sing, and she's internationally reknowned.

C) Therefore, it's not about talent, it's about your image. And the common aul old whose never had fame is just as good an image as size 8 with blonde hair and a school girl outfit.

:D

(Also, let it be known I'm not arguing, this isn't personally picking on you Muggle, I just have strong opinions about the entertainment/music industry.)

Yes you are, picking on me. :lol:

Let me ask this. How many people do you know that look like Susan Boyle that are very popular singers. I know of few or none. I really don't believe its her looks, she can sing very well and has no training yet.

I'm not picking on you! I'll do the same to anyone else who disagrees! I just like a good discussion. I don't even know you, it can't be personal :lol:

People like Susan Boyle, don't get famous like everyone else. Rick Waller, Michelle McManus, Paul Potts, all these people need to go on shows and get a vote for what is more their image, (or lack thereof) before they get anywhere.

20 years ago there were plenty of unattractive people making music, usually rock music. These days it's much more about image. And I'm not just talking about appearances, I'm talking about stories, backgrounds, presentation. Feeling sorry for someone, or feeling like you can 'relate' to someone is as much a boost as a good figure.

Why I thought Susan was amazing was for the fact I loved the reaction she gave people, they did not expect it at all,as well,as her voice.

Her voice was great to me (no one is perfect and saying oh I've heard better is sad, we shouldn't compare although its a natural thing we should just accept she has a special talent, although I know the whole idea of the show is to compare people.)

I assumed she would have had no training and it is raw talent, that always amazes me no matter what people look like or their age.

I agree with what Roxi is saying about image though, and how we used to have lots of great singers, for example Mama Cass Elliott and Stevie Wonder. Would an overweight or blind person with talent be as famous these days?....I'd like to think so but sadly think there is only a small chance and it would probably stem from pity not complete appreciation.

Edited by chrysalis_stage