Susan Boyle / Britain's Got Talent

SueK

Why I thought Susan was amazing was for the fact I loved the reaction she gave people, they did not expect it at all,as well,as her voice.

Her voice was great to me (no one is perfect and saying oh I've heard better is sad, we shouldn't compare although its a natural thing we should just accept she has a special talent, although I know the whole idea of the show is to compare people.)

I assumed she would have had no training and it is raw talent, that always amazes me no matter what people look like or their age.

Well said!!!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People being so superficial as to think ugly women can't sing is no reason to praise Susan.

Also, I'm not saying she can't sing or she isn't talented - she is. I'm simply saying that the fact that she doesn't match the stereotypical 'image' is getting her more attention than it should.

People being so superficial as to think ugly women can't sing is no reason to praise Susan.

Also, I'm not saying she can't sing or she isn't talented - she is. I'm simply saying that the fact that she doesn't match the stereotypical 'image' is getting her more attention than it should.

Yes I agree, but this day and age it adds to the appeal. She is also not ugly in my opinion.

Maybe some people are opening their eyes and realising people who don't fit the now stereotype need more praise for their talents so that we can change the ideas of the current generations stereotypical ideals and get back our talented singers instead of fake girl and boy bands flaunting themselves everywhere and miming.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Oh I'm not saying she's ugly, I'm generalising.

Also, people had the same 'realisation' with Rick Waller in 2001, Michelle McManus in 2003, and Paul Potts in 2007.

They're not realising anything.

Oh I'm not saying she's ugly, I'm generalising.

Also, people had the same 'realisation' with Rick Waller in 2001, Michelle McManus in 2003, and Paul Potts in 2007.

They're not realising anything.

Yes thats the shame of it, but things can always change we need to stay positive or we have nothing lol

But I also thik everyone will praise her while the programme is on but the majority will forget about her later unless she becomes appealing in more ways than one.

Indeed. It's all pretty irrelevant anyway, because she is going to disappear again. My problem with her is that I don't think she's as good as people make her out to be. Paul Potts WAS, I loved him. I just think if you stick any old common person who can sing a bit up on that stage, the whole country will break down in tears and applause every time - because it's themselves they see on the stage. That's all there is to it.

I agree with Roxi. The public like to support the underdog. This could be because they aren't very attractive or maybe becuase they get a sympathy vote like Gareth Gates did. I strongly believe that if GG did not have his stutter, people probably wouldn't have liked him so much. The people going on these shows must realise this too. How many times do people give a sob story to the judges on these talent shows in the hope that it helps get them through to the next round? I'm not trying to be heartless or uncaring, but how does this make any difference to a persons talent/ability? Susan Boyle is good, but not great. Given the right training etc she could improve, but so could most people. Amanda Holden really annoyed me during that particular performace. Tears in her eyes, a standing ovation, what was that all about?

I have just realised that I am ranting, sorry!! :lol:

The sob stories is why I don't watch those programmes they do my head in. Everyone has a story to tell.

Chrysalis is agreeing with my way of thinking although she likes Susan.

I am agreeing because I can see the common sense in it and I like Susan because she hasn't done anything to make me not like her :lol:

No, thanks Kimmy, support is appreciated. I agree with you entirely, and even Chrysalis is agreeing with my way of thinking although she likes Susan.

Well, I certainly don't agree with your way of thinking AND your opinion of Susan. I believe you are greatly misstaken and I think that Susan will receive some voice training and do very well for herself in the music field. :lol:

Her voice was great to me (no one is perfect and saying oh I've heard better is sad, we shouldn't compare although its a natural thing we should just accept she has a special talent, although I know the whole idea of the show is to compare people.)

Whay is it sad?! My point was is that people are saying she has an 'amazing' voice, and I was simply saying that I've heard that song sung a bit better.

Whay is it sad?! My point was is that people are saying she has an 'amazing' voice, and I was simply saying that I've heard that song sung a bit better.

Indeed. If we're going to stop comparing people, I think I'll take up a singing career. :lol:

I see saying there is better is subtracting the talent people do have, when all you need to say is she was good or bad really....(not saying its wrong to say you have seen better as long as the talent she does have is not belittled) It just makes me sad when so many people who are rubbish get told they are good.

We could be here all day, it should be in the debate section lol

I still say she was amazing, not her voice but her performance, it amazed me at the time and that is why I use that word. Ofcourse there is better and worse in everything.

People mean amazing in different ways, they don't all mean she was amazing and the best they had ever seen and heard she just amazed them at the time for different reasons.

To be successful in any field, generally, takes talent of one kind or another.

It would be unrealistic to think that everyone liked Susan Boyle and her singing. Some of us liked her and some did not. Comparing her to other singers is alright but remember, it is just one person's opinion and we are permitted to have different tastes. I greatly dislike rap and "hip-hop", others do like it.

I find it best not to disparage someone for having different likes than me.

I wonder if Susan knew that she would cause all of this attention by going on the show?!

What I did like about Susan is that she put the panel in their place. When will they ever learn not to judge a book by it's cover?! :lol: I would like to know what credentials Amanda and Piers have which mean they know enough to judge people's talent?

I do agree with Michelle's earlier post when she said that she had heard the song sung better. I really love Les Mes as a musical, and I Dreamed a Dream is one of my favourite songs from it. I have seen this performed in the West End and it made the hairs on my neck stand up - it was amazing. Susan Boyle didn't make me feel that way. That's just my opinion though, lots of other people obviously loved her performance.

I watched tonights show and cried laughing at some of it but I loved the sax player (I think he was called Julien) and the 12 year old lad at the end Shaheen, he had a great voice.

Watched last nights show, and liked Julian (sax player), and Shaheen (twelve year old singer).. think there was someone else as well, but can't remember, wasn't a brilliant show.

I couldn't believe the attitude of the lead girl in that 3-girl group. They were first on. She was saying that they were going to be better than Pussy Cat dolls and Spice Girls etc but you just had a feeling they were going to be c**p;). Her two mates just didn't look like they'd got the X factor but she was soooooooo rude.

Loved the sax player - and the budgie that didn't open it's mouth:lol::lol: