Darling, Delectable, Delicious Dexter

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never you mind rubbing your hands young lady, get reading the third and fourth!! :lol:

:blush: Maybe I'm just waiting for the new beginners to catch up!

It's like opening Christmas presents. I never open them all on Chrismas Eve (which is the time we do it in Finland), just a couple, and then I open one pressie a day or so. I make them last for a week at least :lol: I guess I'm the same way with Dexter now.

:lol: Maybe I'm just waiting for the new beginners to catch up!

It's like opening Christmas presents. I never open them all on Chrismas Eve (which is the time we do it in Finland), just a couple, and then I open one pressie a day or so. I make them last for a week at least :lol: I guess I'm the same way with Dexter now.

Oh don't listen to me, I'm just jealous cause you have them ahead of you and I've finished the lot! :lol: ... and I have to wait .. sniff sniff :lol:... for nearly ....two yeeeaaarrrsss!! baaahaaa :blush:

Oh don't listen to me, I'm just jealous cause you have them ahead of you and I've finished the lot! :lol: ... and I have to wait .. sniff sniff :lol:... for nearly ....two yeeeaaarrrsss!! baaahaaa :lol:

I know, I almost did the "You're just jealous because I have new Dexie books to read and you don't! :tong:" -thing but then I started to feel sorry for you :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

*takes a deep breath*

So I've been hearing a lot about these Dexter books and, having loved the TV series, I thought I'd keep an eye out for the books during my wanders through secondhand bookshops yesterday. I forgot who the author was (I was thinking it was Jeffrey Deaver because I think there is a crossover of fans here) but eventually my eyes lighted on Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Linday. (That's the first in the series, right?)

So here I am. Another potential Dexter fan. Are you all happy now? :lol: It's very hard to resist so many recommendations :she: I can't promise I'll get to it soon, but I'll certainly try!

*takes a deep breath*

So I've been hearing a lot about these Dexter books and, having loved the TV series, I thought I'd keep an eye out for the books during my wanders through secondhand bookshops yesterday. I forgot who the author was (I was thinking it was Jeffrey Deaver because I think there is a crossover of fans here) but eventually my eyes lighted on Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Linday. (That's the first in the series, right?)

So here I am. Another potential Dexter fan. Are you all happy now? :lol: It's very hard to resist so many recommendations :she: I can't promise I'll get to it soon, but I'll certainly try!

I already noticed on Book Activity thread that you've gotten the first (yes, the first!) book of the Dexter series, well done and congratulations :lol: So glad to hear you've enjoyed the TV-series, they're really great aren't they :smile2: How many seasons have you seen by the way?

I can assure you that we are quite happy to see new fresh bloo... I mean new potential readers out there. I'd like to end my post quoting one of Nirvana's legendary songs: regarding reading the book: Take your time, hurry up, the choice is yours, don't be late :lol:

:she: Thanks Frankie. I've seen two seasons (I think we're pretty behind here). I somehow missed the end of the first season so I didn't find out who the ice-truck killer was until the second season. I really enjoyed the way the second season ended though :lol:

:she: Thanks Frankie. I've seen two seasons (I think we're pretty behind here). I somehow missed the end of the first season so I didn't find out who the ice-truck killer was until the second season. I really enjoyed the way the second season ended though :lol:

I've only seen two seasons as well, I think Finland is way behind, too :lol: I agree with you on the second season ending although I have to say that I hated it when

Doakes died. I didn't want Dexter to get caught so I guess it had to happen, but I was so sorry to see Doakes die. I just really liked him and he would've made a great guy for Debs.

The first Dexter book is basically the same way the first TV season is but there are a couple of different things happening to make it more interesting for those who've seen the TV series first. The other books totally differ from the TV series. Happy reading when you get to it :smile2:

I bought Darkly Dreaming Dexter today. Looking forward to reading it. You guys wax rhapsodic about it so much, I just had to buy it. :she:

Hope you enjoy it Mac :she: I'm shooting through the second one, I've not been feeling at all like reading lately, but Dexter is dragging me kicking and screaming into book land because I just can't put it down :lol: I'm glad that this book has a storyline that's not on the show, so I don't know what's coming, and I can't wait to see what happens at the end of Dearly Devoted :lol:

So here I am. Another potential Dexter fan. Are you all happy now? :smile2: It's very hard to resist so many recommendations :she: I can't promise I'll get to it soon, but I'll certainly try!

I bought Darkly Dreaming Dexter today. Looking forward to reading it. You guys wax rhapsodic about it so much, I just had to buy it. :lol:

Brilliant news! I hope you both like him as much as we do. :lol:

I can assure you that we are quite happy to see new fresh bloo... I mean new potential readers out there.

:lol: Very appropriate Frankie!

• 3 weeks later...

i read all the 1st 3 books in 3 weeks!!1 currently i'm on 'by design'... and damn!!!! this series just getting more and more addictive!!!

oh, the chapter 2, the boody honeymoon section is just sooo funny... can't stop laughing :D

i bought all four books from online bookstore, i bought the british version and yeah, the covers waaaayyy moooreeee better than the US version.

ow, and about the tv series.... for me season 1 is the best, the 2nd n 3rd... naaahh not so great.... the books is way better.

when i read the first book, it feels like Michael C Hall was reading the book out loud for me. But not with the next 3 books. Dexter in the book and on the tv were just different...

yeap, Dexter is such a flawless character (on books).

unfortunately, there was a lil' flaw on Dexter's personality on the tv series, it was on season 1

when dex hit paul with a kitchen utensil

. shame on the tv writers.

Edited by levine

• 1 month later...

I was reading this thread (and having a bit of a giggle :)) and realised there were no actual descriptions of Mr Lindsay's books. As a couple of members are now reading a Dexter novel, I thought I'd bring up this thread again and post the synopsis for the books, as we have quite a few new members who I think might be interested in him. :)

'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' ~by~ Jeff Lindsay

Synopsis from Waterstones:

Dexter Morgan isn't exactly the kind of man you'd bring home to your mum. At heart, he's the perfect gentleman: he has a shy girlfriend, and seems to lead a quiet, normal life bordering on the mundane. Despite the fact that he can't stand the sight of blood, he works as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police. But Dexter also has a secret hobby: he is an accomplished serial killer. So far, he's killed 36 people and has never been caught because he knows exactly how to hide the evidence. And while that may lead some people to assume he's not such a nice guy, he tempers his insatiable hunger for brutality by only killing the bad guys. However, Dexter's well-organised life is suddenly disrupted when a second, much more visible serial killer appears in Miami. Intrigued that the other killer favours a style similar to his own, Dexter soon realises that the mysterious new arrival is not simply invading his turf but offering him a direct invitation to 'come out and play'...

Dearly Devoted Dexter ~by~ Jeff Lindsay

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstones

Miami's best-dressed serial killer is back and on the prowl, at least he would be if he could shake off his permanent shadow. Ever since their paths first crossed, Sergeant Doakes hasn't let Dexter Morgan out of his sight. Dexter may well be the Miami PD's blood-spatter analyst, but Sgt. Doakes has a pretty good idea of how Dex likes to spend his free time and he's determined to catch him in the act. Dex hasn't killed in months and is getting twitchy. To throw Doakes off his scent, he's spending more time with Rita, his girlfriend. But no matter how many cosy nights they spend in front of the TV, Doakes is still watching. Then a body turns up, horribly mutilated and barely alive. To trap the torturer, Doakes and Dexter will have to work together, if they can trust each other. It's a devil's pact and one of them will have to be the bait...

Dexter In The Dark ~by~ Jeff Lindsay

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

Dexter Morgan is busy planning his wedding to Rita to complete his nice-guy disguise. But when a student is found burnt, molested and headless - seemingly sacrificed to an ancient god - and Dex is brought in as forensic analyst to help investigate, he realises he could be dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is. Soon it seems the dark passenger in Dexter's head has gone into hiding. And when something creeps out your friendly neighbourhood serial killer, you know it's serious ...As Halpern and Dexter are stalked by death, it looks like it's getting personal - especially as Dex now has a family to protect. Gradually, Dexter realises his stepchildren might share his extracurricular interest in death. Could he help them target their bloodlust, just as he steers his own? But to do that, Dex must cope with a certain mutilated sergeant from his past, and more importantly ...stay alive ...

Dexter by Design ~by~ Jeff Lindsay

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

Being a blood spatter analyst who hates the sight of blood has always made Dexter's work for the Miami PD tough. But it means he's very neat when it comes to his out-of-hours hobby: murder. Of course, the fact Dexter only kills bad people helps too. Now Dex is facing a disturbing situation. He's used to blood at work, and blood when he's out with the dark passenger (the voice that guides him on his deadly outings). But he's not sure what to make of the man who says blood is art. Using bodies as his canvas, someone is out there expressing themselves in the most lethal and painful of ways. If Dexter's to escape the scalpel and avoid becoming the latest exhibit, he needs somewhere to run...

:)

• 5 weeks later...

QUICK ANNOUNCEMENT RE: DEAR DEXTER & HIS DEVOTED DELECTABLES SOCIAL GROUP

In an effort to tighten things up on the forum, we've been going through the social groups and have closed one or two that were a) Very quiet & :lol: Better suited to the main forum where it can be seen by more members.

Dexter is such a popular book and television series, it was felt best to close the social group and keep the active thread on the main forum as the focus for Dexter discussion, whether it be about the books or TV series.