Double dexter

Yes, they should be read in order.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread has made me want to check out these books. Have just requested the first one from my library. I'll probably have to read it before the others that are waiting. I didn't watch the TV series when it was on here. I meant to, but kept forgetting to set the video and missed it. If it's like Bones and ends up not like the books I don't think I'll bother. I liked Bones at first, but not anymore. Much prefer the books.

• 1 month later...

I finished it, it was enjoyable but probably not as good as the first two.

The third one is my least favorite, and I always tell everyone to not let that get to them and just continue with the series, as the fourth novel is good and the fifth is the best I've read (I've read the first five so far). So I'd say stick with the series :)

Finally saw the pilot episode of Dexter! Quite enjoyed it, as did the Wife :D looking forward to some more.... plus another 6 series :)

Wohoo! I love the TV show, and only the first season is based on the (first) book, I think the other seasons are very independent. I've only seen the first two seasons, though.

Edit: Bookmonkey, I wouldn't compare Dexter with Bones. I dare say you will end up liking both the books and the TV series :cool:

I love Dexter, although I'm not so keen on the tv series, but I don't watch much tv anyway, I don't have time and when I do have time, I'd rather read :)

I finished Dexter is delicious a few months back, have to get the next, double dexter and then eagerly await another one that is due out next year.

It's a nice light hearted read, bit of a change from your usual serial killers, and he's strangely compelling isn't he :)

I love Dexter, although I'm not so keen on the tv series, but I don't watch much tv anyway, I don't have time and when I do have time, I'd rather read :)

I finished Dexter is delicious a few months back, have to get the next, double dexter and then eagerly await another one that is due out next year.

It's a nice light hearted read, bit of a change from your usual serial killers, and he's strangely compelling isn't he :)

That's exactly what it is, it's so different from the usual stuff. And he's such a character :) Which novel has been your favorite so far?

We gave the series a shot and were underwhelmed on all counts, to put it nicely.

I wonder if the books use the same premise? I.e. a psychopath presumptuously killing people who weren't convicted of what they were accused off? As is the justice system never settles for accusing the wrong people, for various reasons.

In some stories even Sherlock Holmes took the law in his own hands - as a last resort. I'm all for this distinction between morally and legally acceptable actions, and even apply it in real life in a small way. But this character looks for an outlet for his need and enjoyment of killing. No one else thinking he shouldn't be free in society?! And how can he be any more sure than others in the system, that he does get the actual "bad guys"?

Often he phrase "two wrongs don't make a right" is misused as an excuse for passivity. But it would fit perfectly here. Am I really so alone in that assessment?

After reading the books and seeing how fastidious he is to make sure he has the right person, he follows and studies them, I don't agree with that. The tv series is no way of gauging how the book is, it is just entertainment in its own right and only the first series was based loosely on the books.

I can't comment on the books yet, and I'm not planning on reading them. But even accepting what you say, that he supposedly IS sure he gets the "right people", it's still just a means for him to satisfy his psychopathic inclination. It's not about justice, it's about indulging his pleasure in killing. (I may be mistaken, but killing for fun still counts as "wrong", yes?) The resulting "justice" is a by-product with him.

Just because it works out "right" in the end, he's not exactly the hero you'd admire for the strength to do whatever it takes. He just does what he likes; the way others spend their life playing video games.

Never mind, I take it this thread is for fans. I'm out. :smile:

The whole point of the storyline in books and tv series is that Harry has diverted a Psychopathic killer from killing innocent people, to killing criminals. As he works in forensics he can check into things a normal vigilante can't.