Worst film accents?

Suburbanite

Any film where Sean Connery is playing someone that isn't Scottish (The Hunt for Red October being the most amusing!).

And you've also got Philip Glenister's terrible American accent in the recent ITV series Demons - what was he thinking?!

Any film where Sean Connery is playing someone that isn't Scottish (The Hunt for Red October being the most amusing!)

I thought he had his own accent in that and spoke in russian at some point! He isn't usually one for doing other accents!!

There was a film in which Brad Pitt played an IRA terrorist with an irish accent - terrible it was:lol:

At least with Sean Connery you get what it says on the tin, he doesn't do accents.:roll:

Sean Bean tried to do an American accent in a horror film on TV recently, he still sounded like "'ow do lass - by 'eck" but he was like that in Lord of the Rings as well.:)

Sean Connery = Scottish acent only

Sean Bean = "Ey-up, lass. My nyame's Shyarpe"

Arnold Schwarzenegger = own accent only

Jean Claude Van Damme = own accent only - usually with implausible explaination wirtten into script

Actually, speaking of Connery - in Highlander he plays an Egyptian with a Scottish accent, but Christopher Lambert plays a Scot with a French accent. Then you've got an American plahying a Russian without an accent too.

Other dodgy attempts:

Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (and Christian Slater in same).

Brad Pitt in any film where he's supposed to be Irish.

Leonardo de Caprio - epic fail as an Irishman in Titanic - deserved to drown!

Tom Cruise with another dodgy "Oirish" accent in Far and Away.

This is what happens when you bank on a "star" rather than an "actor"... :)

Edited by Kell

Actually, speaking of Connery - in Highlander he plays an Egyptian with a Scottish accent, but Christopher Lambert plays a Scot with a French accent. Then you've got an American plahying a Russian without an accent too.

I thought Connery's character in Highlander was Spanish? (with a Scottish accent of course!).

Sean Connery = Scottish acent only

Sean Bean = "Ey-up, lass. My nyame's Shyarpe"

Arnold Schwarzenegger = own accent only

Jean Claude Van Damme = own accent only - usually with implausible explaination wirtten into script

Other dodgy attempts:

Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (and Christian Slater in same).

Brad Pitt in any film where he's supposed to be Irish.

Tom Cruise with another dodgy "Oirish" accent in Far and Away.

I concur on all of these - but reeaally Kell, poor old Leo - You made me snort my cuppa over the keyboard! :)

Kevin Costner, as mentioned, very scary accent in 'Robin Hood, Princes of Thieves'.

Gerard Butler, again, as mentioned :), dear lord what was he thinking, worst irish accent ever in 'Ps, I love you'.

Other dodgy attempts:

That whole film was an epic fail - they all deserved to drown IMO. :)

i thought that Timothy Spall's black countray accent in Auf Wiedersein Pet was fantastic.

I absolutely loved all the accents in Auf Wiedersehen Pet, had a bit of trouble catching what Jimmy Nail (Oz) was saying at times his accent is so strong.

I thought Connery's character in Highlander was Spanish? (with a Scottish accent of course!).

Nope, he was Egyptian, but his "current identity" was Spanish. I love that film, despite the array of dodgy accents - it's a classic. :lol:

From Wiki:

Ram
Edited by Kell

Brad Pitt in Seven Years in Tibet (but then again I think he is a very average actor anyway).

Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven (and Twelve, etc.)

Sean Connery in anything where he is supposed to be anything other than Scottish.

One of the ones that bothers me the most is Drew Barrymore in "Ever After". Her accent is just painful to listen to. :lol:

Oh...and Keanu Reeves in "Dracula".

And I don't think I've ever seen Sean Connery in anything where he hasn't had a Scottish accent.

Does Keanu Reeves voice, face expressions or overall acting ability ever change lmao? He seems so 'wooden'! It kinda fits in The Matrix though.

Does Keanu Reeves voice, face expressions or overall acting ability ever change lmao? He seems so 'wooden'! It kinda fits in The Matrix though.

I agree, he pretty much typifies an actor that is extremely samish in everything IMO.

On topic, I'm not sure if it was just me but I found the accents in Valkyrie to just be ridiculous. I accept that they didn't want to do it all in German for commercial reasons, but you had guys trying to be Nazi accents whilst talking in all sorts of ridiculously strong accents such as American, English, Scottish - I just found it to be ridiculous.

Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven (and Twelve, etc.)

Oh, come on! You can't judge Ocean's movies by realism! They're meant for lighthearted entertainment and jokes. They're all about making a joke, even down to Cheadle's accent, which is hilarious.

Oh...and Keanu Reeves in "Dracula".

Oh yes, i forgot that one. It was a terrible accent, he was still talking like a beaudacious dude, in transylvania.

Going back to Sean Bean though, I don't really care what accent he has, he's just eye candy.:lol: (Cant' wait for Red Riding tonight).

Going back to Sean Bean though, I don't really care what accent he has, he's just eye candy.:lol: (Cant' wait for Red Riding tonight).

A few years ago there was a Marks & Spencer advert in which he suddenly appeared dangling a pressie (on his finger!), with a little wry smile on his face - it's the first time I'd truly 'noticed' him!

I find that dodgy accents just make me think of 'Allo 'Allo, and immediately takes away any cinematic integrity the film might otherwise have! This works to the film's advantage sometimes! :friends0: