Reading in the car?

Cadenza

Just come back from holiday today so...

Just wondering can you read in the car on a journey or does it make you ill? Does it matter what length of journey you are going on? Personally, on long journeys I always used to feel sick reading in the car, but now I have a set routine I go through so I don't feel sick and can read on the move. What about anyone else?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sick if I read in a car for any time at all. Strangely though I can read ok on a bus, at least for up to an hour (I've never been on a bus for any longer than that, except with a hangover on a train replacement service, all I wanted to do then was sleep).

I used to get carsick a lot but it doesn't seem to happen much these days. I just back from a long car trip with my partner but I didn't get any reading done, only because I would have felt like I was ignoring him. :)

I can only read in the car on motorways where the roads aren't too bumpy and there aren't many turns - it is just straight! But town and country driving - nope can't do it, makes me feel very sick. I can read on planes and trains though - not boats though - too busy being sick to read!

- not boats though - too busy being sick to read!

To the artist formerly known as KB! :lol:

Can I recommend Acustraps? :) I was always unwell on boats until I got these. My symptoms would range from a nauseous sloshing sensation to the full blown....well you know where I'm heading with this.:D

These strap things are fab. You measure three fingers down from the crease where your hand meets your wrist, then you firmly strap the velcro wristband on with the knobbly bit smack in the middle of your inner wrist.

Do this before you get on the boat/ship, and DO NOT take off until you are back on land. I did 4 Channel crossings in December and was able to read, eat, drink (coffee), chat - you know, I was normal.

Edited by Chrissy

Can I recommend accustraps? :D I was always unwell on boats until I got these. My symptoms would range from a nauseous sloshing sensation to the full blown....well you know where I'm heading with this.:lol:

As someone who regularly goes to a lump of granite in the middle of nowhere (and with a bit of luck might soon be living there), I know only too well. I find that I have to stay on deck no matter how bad the weather is - and I have sailed in some pretty awful weather - when the waves were coming right over the boat. My worst crossing took 9 hours when it was supposed to take only 2 ! Other times though it can be like a mill pond. You can just never tell.

Will definately check out those straps though - thanks !

I can't read in a moving car or bus - it makes me hurl. But planes and trains are both fine for me. Actually, I've not trued since Xander arrived and pre-baby I used to hurl just sitting in the back seat and I don't any more, so maybe things will have improved...

As I said in another thread, I can't even look at a map in the car! :D In boats I have to stay on deck, then I'm fine.. I don't think I'd be much good on a cruise! :lol: I used to be fine on trains, but the new ones are too smooth, and the only time I went on a plane I felt slightly nauseous, so reading was out.

On the subject of the wristbands, I tried them when I was pregnant, and they didn't help, but I haven't tried them since.

That's very interesting to know other people get car sick while reading while others don't.

personally I have no idea! I never had a car growing up, when I met my husband he had a car, but I've never had the opportunity to read while in the car as he is always blabbing about something or the other, says having a conversation in the car helps the journey to go faster. I think it's to stop him from daydreaming :lol:

Agreed, a wasted reading opportunity!

Batty

I'm another who gets very travel sick, especially while reading. The down side is I spend a lot of time travelling to and from uni and try to read to distract myself (It's 2hr bus journey there and 2 hrs back!). I find that it helps having a bottle of water, or some mints of some kind - that's what gets me through. I can't read in the car though, at all.

I used to get very sick when I tried to do anything in a car, even just play around with a doll or something... Long journeys to go on holidays were a nightmare when I was a kid!

Now I still get nauseous/ dizzy but not as much... If I have a really good book on the go that I absolutely want to get on with I'll manage to brave it with some breaks. Otherwise no way.

No problems on buses/ tramways/ trains/ planes... I'm not sure about boats.