What was for lunch?

Michelle

I think I'm one of the few people that isn't overly keen on Tim-Tams.

:welcomeboard: Say it ain't so! :tong:

Plus Twisties as well (that was the first thing I bought as soon as I arrived. I was suffering withdrawal BIG TIME!). Yum, yum, YUM! :D

OK, Twisties withdrawal I can understand! I love chicken most, followed by regular cheese. Have you tried the new type? Can't remember what it's called, but they're very addictive.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call their midday meal 'dinner' before. That's just weird! :welcomeboard: (Although no weirder than me naming my evening meal after a beverage, I guess!)

The only time I call it 'dinner', is the rare occasion that we eat our main meal in the middle of the day (sometimes on a Sunday, and often when we're on holiday we eat a big meal midday, and snack later) - to me, 'lunch' is a snack. Mind you, I call it 'lunch time', no matter what size the meal, so I guess I am just weird! :tong:

:welcomeboard: Say it ain't so! :tong:

Shocking, but true! :) I'm much more of a savoury person.

OK, Twisties withdrawal I can understand! I love chicken most, followed by regular cheese. Have you tried the new type? Can't remember what it's called, but they're very addictive.

Is that the Wicked Cheese or something? I've had them, but I think they also have another one that looks like Cheezels. I love them all, but the original Cheese and Chicken ones are my favourite. I tell ya, I'd forgotten how good they are! :D

So, for lunch today, I had Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Oh man, I missed it so much! :welcomeboard: I've decided to pack up a box (or maybe several :D) of Aussie food that I can't get in the UK,

So WHERE can you not buy Macaroni and Cheese? Geesh... here, they have a whole macaroni and cheese section of the store! There's about four brands of the regular powdered-cheese versions and you have your choice of about five different shapes of noodles, two brands of Organic in three shapes of noodles and types of cheeses, two brands of Velveeta-style cheese, then there's Betty Crocker's tuna and/or hamburger helper macaroni and cheese, and that usually comes in different kinds of cheeses... then there's the "one serving throw it in the microwave" ones... and I'm sure I'm missing some.

And then I buy the real cheddar cheese, regular organic pasta, and come home and make it from scratch. :D

I think I'm one of the few people that isn't overly keen on Tim-Tams. :tong: For UK folks, Tim-Tams taste very similar to Penguins. I have loads of Vegemite in the UK - it's one of the few Aussie foods I can find there. :)

OK... for US folks... what are Tim-Tams, Penguins, and Vegemite?

So WHERE can you not buy Macaroni and Cheese?

I haven't found a good one in the UK. :welcomeboard: I don't like the frozen ones; I prefer the ones that you microwave and add the cheese powder.

Maybe Angerball was referring to Kraft macaroni and cheese as being superior to other types?

Yus, I was. :tong: I find the flavour so much stronger than the other brands I have tried. So, what brands are available in the UK? I swear I've looked, and have only seen the frozen or chilled meals. Are there any others available? I only really shop at Morrisons, and occasionally Tesco. Maybe I should try Sainsbury's or Asda.

I haven't found a good one in the UK. :welcomeboard: I don't like the frozen ones; I prefer the ones that you microwave and add the cheese powder.

So, what brands are available in the UK? I swear I've looked, and have only seen the frozen or chilled meals. Are there any others available? I only really shop at Morrisons, and occasionally Tesco. Maybe I should try Sainsbury's or Asda.

I'm not sure I've seen microwave ones with added powdered cheese. You could try batchelors pasta 'n sauce, it might be similar perhaps.The cheese and brocolli one is quite nice although I don't eat them myself anymore because they are full of hydrogenated fats.

there are the batchelors pastas as has been said, or Ainsley Harriot does a good mac and cheese dried meal. You could always make your own. Now you mention it I think I have only seen frozen and tinned varieties. Have to keep a look out..

Right yo are making me hungry. I want macaroni and cheese. I think Angerball should bring us all some back with her..

Doesn't sound very appetising.

:) No, it doesn't. But the cheese tastes delicious! :welcomeboard:

You could try batchelors pasta 'n sauce, it might be similar perhaps.The cheese and brocolli one is quite nice although I don't eat them myself anymore because they are full of hydrogenated fats.

Tried them, and I'm not too keen on them. That's another thing I miss. Continental (Aussie brand) do about 20, maybe more, flavours of the Pasta and Sauce packets. I used to live off them at uni. :tong: They're so quick and easy.

there are the batchelors pastas as has been said, or Ainsley Harriot does a good mac and cheese dried meal. You could always make your own.

He does? I'll have to keep an eye out for his brand. I have to admit, I haven't tried any of his food, though I do have one of his couscous mixes sitting around. As for making my own.....:D....perhaps not. I'm not very good at making my own anything in the kitchen. :D

Right, for lunch today, I'm having rice with barbeque chicken! Yummo!

Don't forget a boxful of Tim-Tams Angerball! And the Vegemite! (If you're a Vegemite person.)

I heard of someone getting their Vegemite confiscated off them in either some USA state or Canada, because it has added folate or something that is not allowed there. Can just imagine the poor person clutching onto their vegemite, tears running down their cheeks, pleading to keep it :welcomeboard::drama:

Okay, finally caught up here... to quickly add to the lunch/dinner conversation... I've always called the late night meal "dinner" and the midday meal "lunch" in English. It's simply because in French they're "dîner" and "déjeuner" respectedly. I remember being totally confused with this whole "lunch" thing, 'cause we never used English words when talking about food, and therefore I had no idea what everyone was talking about... Now that I think of it, it was rather weird. I wonder why we didn't...

And as for the mac and cheese, I've never understood that dish. And I abhor microwave food! Food is the greatest pleasure in the world, in addition to fashion that is, and it should be treated with proper respect.

My lunch today? Mussels in white wine, mâche salad with nuts and pear and sparkling water.

And I abhor microwave food! Food is the greatest pleasure in the world, in addition to fashion that is, and it should be treated with proper respect.

Then you'll be horrified to hear that I'm eating a microwave meal right now, as I type. :welcomeboard: Sour Cream and Mushroom Pasta and Sauce mix. Yum! :tong:

!! - I always cook from fresh. I don't like micro food either, Once every few weeks I might treat myself to a pot noodle or micro meal or something like that. I think Mum's deserve a treat now and again. I would never buy such things in with the shopping though. As for mac and cheese, you can always make your own cheese sauce and pour it on macaroni.

And as for the mac and cheese, I've never understood that dish. And I abhor microwave food! Food is the greatest pleasure in the world, in addition to fashion that is, and it should be treated with proper respect.

Hmmm... well, I love home-made macaroni and cheese... noodles with home-made cheddar cheese sauce dumped over them. It's simple, but I love it!

I don't go for microwave food either, but for health reasons. They say that microwaved foods alter the chemical make-up of the food, so your body can't use the nutrient... that even microwaved water kills plants! So I only use mine in emergencies.

As to food being the greatest pleasure in the world... I have to admit that I've never understood that point of view. I eat because I have to to survive. Sure, there are a number of foods that I love enough to get a hankering for, but if I could somehow survive and not have to worry about ever cooking and eating, I'd really be quite happy! I'm weird, I know...

Hmmm... well, I love home-made macaroni and cheese... noodles with home-made cheddar cheese sauce dumped over them. It's simple, but I love it!

I don't question its deliciousness, what you just described sounds nice indeed! But for me the idea of soaking the pasta in cheese, as much as I adore cheese, is weird. I do love garlic pasta, where you have nothing but pasta, olive oil, garlic and some herbs (can't remember them in English, and can't be bothered to reach for the dictionary, sorry!) with a dash of parmesan on top. But too much is too much in my mind. I know, it's weird, but I just don't get it.

I don't go for microwave food either, but for health reasons. They say that microwaved foods alter the chemical make-up of the food, so your body can't use the nutrient... that even microwaved water kills plants! So I only use mine in emergencies.

For me, it's the taste. Microwaved food just tasted funny.

As to food being the greatest pleasure in the world... I have to admit that I've never understood that point of view. I eat because I have to to survive. Sure, there are a number of foods that I love enough to get a hankering for, but if I could somehow survive and not have to worry about ever cooking and eating, I'd really be quite happy! I'm weird, I know...

Okay, no offence, but you are weird. Sorry, just kidding. No, I guess it's about culture, and more importantly, the family culture. I don't remember a day when we haven't discussed about food. My mother's idea of a perfect day was some successful shopping and great dinner. And we had many of those. For both areas she applied a strict "quality over quantity" policy. We had hours-long conversations about food. I was always brought up to appreciate food, and fine cooking. It was important in our family. For some, it's not. I don't think it's a good/bad thing, or right/wrong thing. It's more like... more like a "we had a blue car, you had a red car" kind of thing.