Life Changing fiction?

Yes I have. I have read certain books and have made me question religion. They just made me think 'Yeah I suppose that's possible too, no more impossible than what we were led to believe in the first place.' They left me not sure what to think anymore.:welcome2: Hate that feeling!

A book called " Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond- it is absolutely fasinating! It explains why cultures through out the world have developed in the way that they have and why some nations have become the conquerers rather than the conquered. Its basically determined by the three elements of the title as well as things such as geography.

I'm curious Katie, why didnt you like 1984? I thought it was great: the type of book which really enlightens you on what might happen (in an exagerated way of course) if we're not careful. Terifying but so gripping...

It was dull and depressing and the problem I have with Orwell is his books are more about him than a story. 1984 did not grip me at all, I just thought it was boring and rubbish.

The Corrections was probably the first book that made it clear to me that i could love reading. Up until that point i had mostly read factual books. Ninteen Eighty Four and Animal Farm are other important books to me, but only in the sense that they reinforce what i already believe.

The book that is really making me think about it's subject long after reading is Birdsong. The first world war. Which seems as if it has always been around, gets brought into sharp focus by Faulks. Soon realising that you have releagated it to an annual anniversary and the buying of a poppy, without ever giving it too much thought. Since finishing Birdsong i have bought, The Unknown Soldier by Neil Hanson and War Of The World by Niall Ferguson. Directly because of reading Birdsong

I have to agree with you there. I thought it was awful and one of the most depressing books I've ever read.

That is kind of the point, laying out the depressing future that could happen (and lets face it, we are not *that* far away from it.)

That is kind of the point, laying out the depressing future that could happen (and lets face it, we are not *that* far away from it.)

Maybe you are right and we are not that far away from it but I don't want to spend my time on my otherwise enjoyable hobby reading something which is depressing. If I want to see what the future has in store I'll go see a fortune teller!

Maybe you are right and we are not that far away from it but I don't want to spend my time on my otherwise enjoyable hobby reading something which is depressing. If I want to see what the future has in store I'll go see a fortune teller!

:) so if you want to see the future you will go to see a fraud? In that case, I have for sale an excellent racing haggis, only 1000 pounds.

• 1 month later...

This is a response to Wonders Disciple. I brought Birdsong on recommendation but never made it past the affair (3rd chapter?). The story seemed a little hurried and Faulk's style doesn't endear itself to the literary canon it occupies.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!