Merlin

Mia

I'm kind of disappointed that it is finishing because it's a good slice of Saturday night TV, but at the same time I think it is better is goes whilst it is still good rather than dragging on to the point where it has outstayed its welcome.

This series, whilst good, has been a little repetitive with similar scenarios from earlier series being repeated and the lack of Arthur knowing about Merlin's abilities is starting to get annoying (although that did make for an excellent plot twist the other week).

I'm looking forward to seeing how they finish it though and I’m wondering what they will replace it with (my bet is something with spies, ala Bugs).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree. Gwen being a puppet is just an old story worn too thin now - there's no real threat in it because we know if Arthur is to die it will be at Mordred's hand (and I personally suspect that is what's going to happen, based on the way Colin Morgan has been talking) so there's no real thrill in seeing her attempts to kill him foiled. Who HASN'T tried to kill Arthur?! The episode where Merlin was Morgana's puppet, hilariously failing to kill Arthur, was brilliant, and the extent of what should have been done with such a storyline. Morgana isn't scary either, all she does is run around the woods complaining about injustice and being outwitted so often the count must be nearing that of the Roadrunner's outwittance (if that's not a word it should be!) of the Coyote.

Now, the episode with Uther's ghost, and the episode with the Disir/mortally wounded Mordred were EXCELLENT, two of the best in recent years, but aside from that... I feel there is so much potential in Mordred, in the magic reveal, in the construction of Albion, hell even in Aithusa, that we just haven't seen, and now almost certainly won't with only five episodes to go.

Point of interest, Eoin Macken (who plays Gwaine) openly agreed with a fan on Twitter that this latest series has failed overall, so I'm not holding out any hope for the finale.

Yeah, it's been pretty boring so far. Shame, because I very much enjoyed the previous couple of seasons.

Also, it would be nice if Morgana could magic up some water and shampoo and wash her blimmin' hair :D

I feel there is so much potential in Mordred, in the magic reveal, in the construction of Albion, hell even in Aithusa, that we just haven't seen, and now almost certainly won't with only five episodes to go.

The more I think about this the more frustrating I think it becomes. We'll obviously have to wait and see what happens, but there is so much that still needs to happen and can they really tell all of that story in just five episodes? What causes Mordred to turn against Arthur and how convincing can that turn be given the amount of time the series has left to run? (and next week's episode appears to be about sorting the Gwen problem).

Also, I wanted at least a series with Merlin really letting rip with the magic, I guess that's out of the question now . . .

Also, I wanted at least a series with Merlin really letting rip with the magic, I guess that's out of the question now . . .

Yeah I think everyone wanted that but I have a feeling Arthur is going to find out just as he dies or something instead. And we couldn't have a whole series without Arthur. Grrrr.

Yeah I think everyone wanted that but I have a feeling Arthur is going to find out just as he dies or something instead.

^ That would be the pants.

I've lied to you the whole time I've known you, but never mind, eh?

Edited by Raven

I've lied to you the whole time I've known you, but never mind, eh?

The order of events as I expect them:

Penultimate episode: Merlin is forced to use magic in some way in front of Arthur, episode ends on Arthur's WTF face

Final episode: Arthur is outraged, yada yada but comes to terms with it and realises magic can be good; this somehow indicates the implicit success of Albion - then Arthur dies.

Or something.

I blame Colin Morgan for what he said in a particular interview recently. It's possible Arthur lives, but he was talking as if he's going to die. Though he could be trying to throw us off the scent....

• 4 weeks later...

I watched it last night and I have to say although it did make me shed a little tear i personally think it was the right thing to do. Personally I'm hoping a box set of all the episodes is released at some point in the future so that i can watch it all through from the beginning!

Me too, I have the first two seasons on boxset, and I will buy the other three seasons individually if I have to, but I think I'll hold out for a while to see if there's a five season mega boxset, and I'll sell on my first two seasons instead.

I thought it was very good. The only thing that spoiled it slightly, for me, was that final shot in the present day - it just seemed unnecessary and jarred me out of the experience.

Hope the BBC come up with something good to replace it, it has been the most enjoyable Saturday evening show I've seen in a long, long time :smile:

I kind of liked the last scene simply because it shows Merlin has lived for centuries, implies he's still out there today, and that he is still waiting for his King to return. *sobbing*

SPOILERS! I have no idea how to work the spoiler tag.

But yeah it was a little jarring. Also hated the way they handled Gwaine, no proper send-off or anything. We also never found out if the ban on magic was lifted in Camelot - yes peace was brought, peace from Morgana, but that isn't an end to the war on magic. I'm HOPING that Gwen lifted the ban, after realising that Arthur's most faithful friend was a sorcerer who kept a secret all these years for the sole purpose of serving Arthur.

^ Although they didn't show it, I'm guessing Merlin hung around after Arthur's death so you'd hope that was the case but we never saw it I guess it's just conjecture.

I'm still in two minds about this, some of the bases were covered, but there were plenty of things left unaddressed (like the above), and it all felt a little rushed to me.

A few weeks back Merlin was telling Arthur magic was bad; a few weeks later he's suddenly all "I'm a sorcerer, hug me!" and the two don't really go together (although both were attempts to save Arthurs life). I would still have liked to see some stories where Arthur knew about Merlin; for Mordred to turn over a period of time rather than over one episode and for some of the wider issues to be addressed. As it is, Merlin got the powers he was destined to receive, but what did he achieve with them? He drove off an army (which he's done before) but he failed in his main goal of saving Arthur. It was all a bit bleak, really although it was never a story that was probably destined for a happy ending anyway.

I agree, Raven. They wasted Series 5 on the Gwen plot, which was entirely unnecessary as we already had the fantastically-acted and heart-breaking episode where she was enchanted into kissing poor puppet Lancelot. One of the greatest episodes they ever did, leading to Gwen's temporary exile and ALL the betrayal we needed. (And as Bradley James himself said, they could have taken that further simply by removing the magic bracelet and making the betrayal authentic - apparently the bracelet was thrown in last minute to relieve Gwen of responsibility for her actions, which is why in the episode Gwen herself never even realises she was enchanted, only Merlin and Gaius do, and they never actually tell anyone).

What Series 5 should have been was the introduction of Mordred, the magic reveal, the inevitable fallout between Merlin and Arthur, Mordred's gradual turning (in a less ridiculous way than what actually happened) with perhaps Merlin saving Arthur at some point during it, proving magic can be good as well as developing his powers to their maximum, Arthur finding some peace with the idea of magic in Camelot, an idea to be enforced after the final battle with Morgana (we never needed to SEE that enforcement, just have confirmation of it), and then have Merlin and Arthur fighting side by side for the final battle which Arthur loses not because Merlin fails, but because it was always destined to be that way.

That's what I wanted for Series 5. Essentially what was had in the final three episodes, but spread out over the 13.

As for Merlin saving Arthur - as I said in my ramble above, Arthur didn't die because Merlin failed, he died because he was destined to. Merlin has, on many occasions, tried to outwit fate and in all cases, since Series 1, anything he has done has only led to the fulfillment of fate's prophecy. I think it was understated, unfortunately, but Merlin's greatest flaw was his refusal to accept he could not change fate, no matter what he did, and that is one of the more tragic elements of the entire show.

Regarding his earlier denial of magic due to wanting Mordred to die at the hands of the Disir - I think the result of that (Mordred living) was the point at which Merlin began to realise that while he had a destiny to fulfil, that destiny was not one he could control in any way - Mordred WOULD kill Arthur at the Battle of Camlan. It was just in his nature, even when he knew he could not change that, to endlessly fight against it, and maintain hope that just MAYBE, it would help.

The finale was the perfect wrap-up for a different story than the one the writers originally set out to tell. It was originally about the war on magic, somewhere along the way it just turned into the war on Morgana, and I guess the writers saw that as analogous to the former. At least, I like to think they did. That's probably just head-canon on my part, though.

If anyone has actually read this far, I salute you.

I'd not realised that every prophecy had come to pass; it kind of makes things a bit bleak if there is no self-determination.

It's hard to see how they could have finished the series any other way than having Arthur die, but I do think Merlin and Arthur should have had some time when they were working together. It would have been interesting to see how their relationship would have worked if they had been more equal.

And one other thing, did you notice that Merlin wore the same clothes for about a decade?

There was a an episode in Season 3 where Merlin went to the Crystal Cave and foresaw Morgana's attempt on Uther's life - but it was actually his actions in attempting to sidestep that (injuring her, and then healing her out of guilt, alongside admitting to Gaiuse her parentage within her semi-conscious earshot, by way of explanation as to why Gaius could not let her die, even if it meant using magic) which resulted in her amassing the anger and determination she needed to later make an attempt on Uther's life. That's the most overt example of the foretelling/prophecy thing, but in every other instance it has been the same. The knowledge of the event is every bit as foretold as the event itself, and it is the knowledge and attempts at cirumnavigating the events that actually caue them. And yes, it is quite sad. I do wish they had spent some time as equals too.

And yes, Merlin was wearing the same clothes for ten years LOL. Arthur always wore his red shirts though, and I think occasionally a cream/white one. He only had a few outfits more than Merlin, and Merlin is only a servant after all!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I thoroughly enjoyed Merlin, I think it was the best of the Saturday night fantasy-type series, and I like the way the characters sort of grew up along with the show.  I think it did have to end the way it did, after all that's the prophecy.  I wasn't sure about the last bit with Merlin trying to hitch a lift, it did jar slightly with the sadness of Arthur's departure, although perhaps it was intended to be a bit more upbeat.

Can't believe it's nearly three years since this show ended. I rewatched it only earlier this year. For all its flaws, such a wonderful show.

I thoroughly enjoyed Merlin, I think it was the best of the Saturday night fantasy-type series, and I like the way the characters sort of grew up along with the show.  I think it did have to end the way it did, after all that's the prophecy.  I wasn't sure about the last bit with Merlin trying to hitch a lift, it did jar slightly with the sadness of Arthur's departure, although perhaps it was intended to be a bit more upbeat.

I don't think he was hitching a lift, I think 

that was just to indicate just how much time had passed - the implication was that Merlin is still out there today, in 2015 and beyond, watching over Avalon and waiting for Arthur to return. :) Which, in a way, is kind of happy, because for all the other sad prophecies that came true, it means that the one about Arthur's return is also true, and Merlin will be there waiting for him :)