Merlin

Mia

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say - Sir Lancelot!! Mmmm. :welcome: I thought he was going to be a regular character - I was gutted when he rode off at the end. Still, I think he might be back.

I suppose I'd better comment on the rest of the episode! Another good one - the griffin was well done, and I liked the discussion of the unfairness about the rules governing who could be a knight. King Uther is an utter tosspot and an idiot to boot: Lancelot just saved his only son's life, so he rewards him by throwing him in the dungeon because he lied about being noble. That's gratitude for you. ;) Then he says later about the rules being wrong - hello, you're the KING. Why not change the rules?! :D I really hate this character. :006:

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode. And did I mention that Sir Lancelot was absolutely gorgeous?! ;)

Can I just say - Sir Lancelot!! Mmmm. :D I thought he was going to be a regular character - I was gutted when he rode off at the end. Still, I think he might be back.

Anyway, I enjoyed this episode. And did I mention that Sir Lancelot was absolutely gorgeous?! :lol:

:mad:

I agree with every single word you just said! :D

:she:.....but what has happened to the dragon...thought it was gonna be in it every week!!

Can I just say - Sir Lancelot!! Mmmm. :D I thought he was going to be a regular character - I was gutted when he rode off at the end. Still, I think he might be back.

He was Isaac Mendes in the 1st season of Heroes...

.....but what has happened to the dragon...thought it was gonna be in it every week!!

Er... I was too busy ogling Lancelot to notice the absence of the dragon!! :D

He was Isaac Mendes in the 1st season of Heroes...

Really?! I thought the name seemed familiar but I never realised it was him... He seems much more attractive as Sir Lancelot, cos I never fancied him in Heroes! :D

• 1 month later...

I've forgotten to post about this lately, but it's consistently good (and Uther's consistently a complete and utter :D) . I really like the relationship between Arthur and Merlin, and think both actors are perfectly cast (in fact, all the cast are spot on).

One thing about this week's ep though - Arthur must be a bit dim to swallow the lie about who was the sorceror. Hasn't it occurred to him that if the village already had a sorceror in Merlin's friend, then it surely wouldn't have needed any help against the bandits?

Another good episode, another instance of Arthur being a dimwit! Yeah, killing a unicorn is always a good idea. :)

Still, it was nice to see Arthur doing the right thing and being willing to sacrifice himself for Merlin. And I enjoyed the humour too - rat stew anyone? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was the last episode last night! It was a good end to a good series. I liked it when Merlin called Arthur a prat! :D Also the bit where Arthur and the dragon had their major fallout - there'll be trouble to come, mark my words. :lol: Plus, there seemed to be the first hint of a possible romance between Arthur and Gwen. There were a few things that didn't seem to make sense though, or perhaps I just wasn't thinking straight...

1. When Gaius was giving Arthur the life-restoring water, Uther came in and was all suspicious, snapping at Gaius and demanding what he was giving him. As Gaius is the court physician, surely Uther wouldn't have been suspicious of him giving a potion to Arthur?

2. The boat to the Isle of the Blessed: Arthur used magic to get it to move. How did Gaius get across? There were no oars. Or does it mean that Gaius has magic too? From their later conversation, Nimueh seemed to know him well and it was implied that Gaius knew magic...

3. Nimueh's fireballs - the first one was powerful enough to explode the stone walls. The second one that hit Merlin merely scorched a hole in the front of his tunic. Hmm...

Anyway, I've really enjoyed this series and I can't wait for it to return. :D Preferably with Sir Lancelot. :)

• 9 months later...

Well, the opening of the new series was another good one. :D Very enjoyable, and McKenzie Crook (or whatever he's called) was great.

The only nitpick I have with the writers was Arthur and Merlin's relationship, which for no apparent reason seems to have reset to its starting point. By the end of the last series, Arthur and Merlin were virtually friends, trusting each other and saving each other's lives. For some reason, in this first episode they have gone back to the master/servant relationship they had at first, with Arthur being a bit of a pig to Merlin. This was probably just to allow Crook to shove his way into Arthur's service, but it didn't make any sense to me in terms of the show's progression. :friends0:

Thoroughly enjoyed it, ticks all the boxes for me and makes for a good run in to Christmas!

I'm still having a hard time watching this and NOT thinking of John Boorman's Excalibur whenever the pace lags a bit...

I have a similar problem. Every time Arthur does something I find myself thinking, "Connery wouldn't have done that . . ."

I apologise in advance to fans of the series :friends0:.

I watched an episode of this - once, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Excuse me, but: a mix-race Guinevere, in those days? Uther Pendragon is suddenly back in the land of the living? Arthur kills the gryphon? and give Merlin a beard, will you???

My biggest problem is, this doesn't seem to follow any written source whatsoever: it disregards Mallory (which would have been the obvious choice) as well as T.H. White (i.e. the version followed by Disney's The Sword in The Stone) completely, it's like they just took the names and invented a whole new story around those - one that doesn't even make historical sense.

I watched an episode of this - once, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Excuse me, but: a mix-race Guinevere, in those days? Uther Pendragon is suddenly back in the land of the living? Arthur kills the gryphon? and give Merlin a beard, will you???

...it's like they just took the names and invented a whole new story around those - one that doesn't even make historical sense.

:friends0: Oh yes, it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "taking liberties"! But once you ignore all the above and the jarringly modern slang ("spondoolicks" being a prime example) and just go with the flow, it is rather enjoyable!

Another good episode tonight! Loved Arthur trying to "slum it". Well done Guinevere for telling him off, that was great! And the kiss... aww.

Strange how no-one, not even the king, noticed that the guy supposedly taking part in the tournament was riding Arthur's horse! :motz:

• 2 months later...