E books / Kindle / Sony Reader

Adam

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody had an electronic book delivered to work a few months ago. I assume it was one or the other. It looked great, with a page on each side just like a book. I'm not sure about it myself though. There's just something about ink and paper ...

Still, it would save on shelf space.

• 4 months later...

This may not be a good thing to put on a book forum, but... has anyone seen one of these in real life? As a book and gadget addict (remember the robot dogs?) I love the idea. Paper books will always be the best, no doubt, but I spend a lot of time travelling for business and it would be great to have several books that don't take up much space. Hand luggage is everything to me!

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook

What do folks think?

Edited by Michelle
threads merged

If I were going to go for an e-reader, it would e the Sony one - it's so sleek-lookng and has a lovely book-like cover to it, unlike the clunky, cheap-looking Kindle (which would have NO place in my home, I can assure you!). Real books will always be the main thing for me - i just love them - but I can see where an e-reader would be very handy when you're out and about. If I were going to be spending a lot of time away from home, I would definitley have one just to save on packing half my library to take with me!

I would get one of those. I would have ebooks and comics on it. That would be great.

*edit*

any idea of the cost?

*edit 2*

nice to see waterstones will be flogging ELECTRONIC books for "much the same price" as physcial books. *shakes head*

Edited by beef

When I went to a Sony trade fair a few months ago (I work for an electronics retailer) they were unable to tell me anything about these things at all, and had none on display. This is a shame, since I would have liked to have seen one.

The idea of e-books does have a certain appeal for authors, since it potentially cuts out all the middle men, who are all too keen to take a slice of our hard earned income (everyone thinks authors are stinking rich, but actually most of us earn less than 5K a year and have second jobs), since the books can be downloaded direct from either the authors or publishers own website. There are security issues to consider though, since it is far too easy to copy work without paying for it, and far too many people still consider that this is their God given right, forgetting that we own the work and also have rights - to sue the pants off them if caught ! And believe me, I would !

Personally I don't think anything will ever replace paper copies either, not completely. I can see that there is a market for educational books and certain types of non fiction - a searchable e copy of The Bible for example would be brilliant, but not for fiction.

Personally I don't think anything will ever replace paper copies either, not completely. I can see that there is a market for educational books and certain types of non fiction - a searchable e copy of The Bible for example would be brilliant, but not for fiction.

There are already electronic bibles you can search and I want one because I sometimes don't have time with the children to read in the morning before we go out. It would be great to be able to slip something into my handbag I could read while out, and search when OH is quizzing me. I would still need an actual bible though. I flick through mine too much.

Reading this thread visions of that scene in The Time Machine where they don't know what real books even are, never mind what they look like.

There are already electronic bibles you can search and I want one because I sometimes don't have time with the children to read in the morning before we go out. It would be great to be able to slip something into my handbag I could read while out, and search when OH is quizzing me. I would still need an actual bible though. I flick through mine too much.

I did come across a downloadable copy that you could order somewhere, if I can remember where, or come across it again, I will let you have the address. I could do with one too, would be very useful for my next book - if I ever have the time to start writing !

In The Times, on Tuesday there was an article in these new computer hand held books and that they would take the place of "Normal books" I disagree. I love the feel of a new book and the smell of an old book. experts say it is a fad, but is it? It would be expensive to bookcross or drop into the bath too.

Then! in this months Book and Magazine collector there is a new machine called an espresso book machine which you can print any book which the computer searches for and prints it into a paperback all within seven minutes!

Oh I do hope that these things!! will not catch on.

CJ

I disagree as well. Technology is okay, but not when it tries to impose on my beloved pastime. I'm sure some may like the idea of hand-held computer books in the same way as online books. But I think it would be creepy to "replace" something I think of as warm and inviting with cold, hard plastic. That would be way too sci-fi for me! :D

Funny - we were talking about this at work yesterday; specifically the Sony ereader. I love curling up with a good book in my favourite armchair, and I don't believe that an electronic screen could ever evoke the same feeling of contentment. Crazy as it sounds, I love looking at my books, I love the feeling of starting a new book, and I don't think I'm alone in that.

I suppose if people are pushed for space (for example if they want to take a load of books on holiday, or don't have the room for many bookshelves), there could be advantages - the ereader holds about 160 books I believe....but for me, there is no substitute for the real thing!

Personally I hope that the Espresso machine does catch on. It has been in America for a while now, and is being trialled in selected Blackwells stores later in the year, according to The Bookseller.

The advantages are mainly for print on demand authors like myself, who face a continual fight to get stocked in stores and get any sort of exposure at all, mostly because of the perceived notion that all self published books are inferior quality. This is not the case, as my publishing company and countless others are beginning to prove.

When we do manage to get into shops, because of the ridiculous returns system and extortinate discounts that booksellers and wholesalers demand (as much as 60 percent in some cases, meaning that the book store earns four times what I do - who wrote the damned thing ? !) then it is hardly worth the effort. That is why some 80 percent of authors are forced to take second jobs and the majority of us earn less than 5K a year from writing (the most I have earned in a year from mine is around

Talisman, don't get me wrong. If I had the money, I would probably invest in some kind of e-reader and intend to when I can. I can definitely see where it would be very handy for the times I want to when not at home, I just don't think that this new format will ever replace paper books. I just think that just as with people reading online using their laptops and PCs, the new e-readers coming out are simply going to act as a compliment or addition to the choices available to us bookworms!

But I do feel your pain about the misconception that all self-published are of poor quality. I've only ever had a few books I've purchased in 30 years of buying that have fallen apart on me. (Well, except when I read them literally to death! ;)) I don't know which of the books I've purchased were self-published, but with the amount I buy, there had to more than a few! The fact that more and more writers are making less and less money is definitely not a secret, and I do think the stuff you speak of happening in the industry is downright criminal! :006:

You definitely have my sympathies. Another reason I suspect you might be losing out, is sales through firms like Amazon. (Which you may actually be referring to in you post.) I KNOW that they charge authors to both list and promote books, and that they are always coming up with new and creative ways to charge you yet more fees...as well as trying to insist that you have to go through their printing services, which are KNOWN to be of very poor quality - they also screw the consumer by charging outrageous shipping rates. All of which hurts your sales. On your end because of both the never-ending fees to use such a service to sell your books, and again with stores and chains who act as your book seller, applying strong-arm to force you into giving them massive discounts. This of course, cuts hugely into your profit margin.

And then, your profits are further hurt because many people like me will not buy online, because of the shipping fees cost far more than the book itself! Suppose I see on on "sale" for $3.50 Canadian, I then calculate what the shipping charges and it comes to far more than a brand spanking new release that is around $40 in the local book store.

It's all very frustrating - for authors, publishers and consumers! It would seem that only the booksellers are winning. :D

Believe me Talisman, not all consumers are unaware of the plight of writers such as yourself. But more definitely need to be!

I disagree as well. Technology is okay, but not when it tries to impose on my beloved pastime. I'm sure some may like the idea of hand-held computer books in the same way as online books. But I think it would be creepy to "replace" something I think of as warm and inviting with cold, hard plastic. That would be way too sci-fi for me! :006:

OK, not quite the same thing, but the "cold, hard plastic" view of technology can be a bit of a sterotype. Properly designed, technology can be beautiful, entertaining and engaging. My AIBOs are a case in point. When people meet them, within seconds they forget that they are technology and start to treat them like real pets.

I am warming to e-readers. I have MS and go through periods where my muscles are weak and I don't have feeling in my fingers. This makes holding a book and turning pages very hard, and these may be able to make reading easier for me when I am having a relapse. I am going to investigate. :D

Look to the future is all I can say. Think of the convenience of having one book with all your other books inside it which is basically what the reader is. I've seen the quality of the display on the Reader. Sure., it's strange to begin with, but so's anything new. I think once you got used to it, your pre-conceptions would melt away.

I think technology has to have a place in modern society. I believe that inventions like the sony reader certainly will find its niche in this day and age but I doubt it very much that it will ever displace the actual book. I remember when the first newspapers started to have their editions online. People worried that the traditional paper version would disappear from the shelves. Without having any actual figures I can't deny that sales may have fallen slightly but overall I think the good old paper style newspaper still gives its cyberversion a run for its money. And so it should!