What's the weather like?

Virginia

I was bemused this morning reading a rather hysterical piece in the Daily Fail (nothing like ramping up a drama) quoting someone from the Met office saying that though France, Spain and Portugal are hotter, and coping with forest fires too, 'it's a different sort of heat', in other words much worse somehow even though it's not so extreme.

FYI, it's  forecast to be about 42° at about 6 this evening and the wind is getting up which is not good news for the fires across the river. We're quite safe here, but the smoke plume is horrendous and the sky is red from flames at night. We have a couple of refugees here who were evacuated, one is a feline who is noisily expressing her disapproval. Our cats are equally cross.

Yes, the weather forecaster last night was so doom laden and grave looking I'm surprised he didn't put a black cloth on his head, like when judges in olden days pronounced a death sentence on someone.

I remember childhood holidays in France and Spain when it was sweltering - no aircon back then either!  

Hope you and your guests stay safe.

It's a bearable temperature here too.

I'm managing to get some chores done and I'm learning something new about my Kindle just about every day. The challenge is not to buy too many Kindle books! Today's effort was: The Complete Works of Plato (print length 6938 pages) and The Complete Works of Friedrich Nietzsche (print length 3371 pages). Where am I going to find the time to read all that? *laughs*

I managed to finish my bargello stitched coaster yesterday and have started another today. It turns out that they are ideal projects in the heat because they are small.

1 hour ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, sorry

Air conditioning :) 

2 hours ago, Virginia said:

How expensive is it to install an HVAC system or a window unit in the UK?

They're really uncommon here in houses. Generally they're seen to be a bit of a waste of energy, since it's not warm enough to use them for the vast majority of the year. I did a quick search because your question made me wonder and it came up at around £2000 for one unit.

I understand you also have an added (mesh?) layer against your windows, to stop insects from coming in during summer? Only because I was talking to group of women from America at a conference a few years ago and they were horrified that the windows in their accommodation just let wasps in! Absolutely makes sense when I thought about it. 

We've had periodic bursts of quite heavy rain today, it was lovely :lol:

Air conditioning is not something that's ever been common here either (apart from some businesses). However, heat pumps are becoming very common and as well as heating they can be used for cooling. They're not cheap to purchase and install but apparently work out cheaper than a lot of other heating/cooling options.

Edited by poppy

2 hours ago, poppy said:

Air conditioning is not something that's ever been common here either (apart from some businesses). However, heat pumps are becoming very common and as well as heating they can be used for cooling. They're not cheap to purchase and install but apparently work out cheaper than a lot of other heating/cooling options.

So they tell you.  Be very careful if you're thinking about heat pumps, I've seen chatter on the internet (and it is chatter) that they are not the solution to heating bills/cost of living rises that they are advertised as.

15 hours ago, Hayley said:

Air conditioning :) 

Ah. I've been wanting air condiditoning in our house for years and the argument is : we don't get enough super-hot weather to justify it. Since it's not my property there is nothing I can do about it. 

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Put an e on ther

Lots of shops and businesses now have air con, as do newer trains on overground and some underground lines - others however are sweltering even in the winter.

We generally don't have the same insect issues as the US and other hotter countries (thankfully!) apart from occasional swarms of flying ants (and the occasional ant infestation at home, which is really annoying especially as it always seems to happen around 11.00 at night....), but I remember seeing those mesh screens when I've been to Florida on holiday.

23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

So they tell you.  Be very careful if you're thinking about heat pumps, I've seen chatter on the internet (and it is chatter) that they are not the solution to heating bills/cost of living rises that they are advertised as.

Yes, I'm rather sceptical too. It's not an issue for us at the moment as we have plenty of available firewood on our property, so use a log fire for heating. 

1 hour ago, poppy said:

Yes, I'm rather sceptical too. It's not an issue for us at the moment as we have plenty of available firewood on our property, so use a log fire for heating. 

Better off being sceptical, I'd say.

The weather here has somewhat Glasgow Fair qualities insofaras it's raining but it's not as heavy or as frquent as we are used to.  I'll take it, though.

That's so interesting! I live in the Southern portion of the US, which is SWAMP HOT. The humidity is killer. Add to that, there's the flying no-see-ums, mosquitos, and flying Palmetto bugs (roaches with wings) I can't imagine NOT having screened-in windows. I suffer from seasonal eczema and psoriasis and the heat makes it unbearable so air conditioning is a must. Landlords are required to have air conditioning in their units because death-related heat is a real thing. It's one of the few things tenants can withhold their rent payment (only in the southern states).

Simple window units run from a few hundred US dollars and up, depending on the size, and BTUs. 

I remember Palmettos from when I was on holiday in Florida - huge things!:o  And we had roach stuff everywhere, under the beds etc.  The humidity was off the scale.  What we had here the other day came close but  thankfully is still quite rare.