Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

I finished The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy today and am about to start My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher.

I was challenged 10 days ago to make it to the end of the month without spending any money on books (gulp) so downloaded A Little Bit of Everything for Dummies as its free and it has aided the withdrawal a bit!

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy today and am about to start My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher.

I have just added the Tolstoy to my library wish list - and My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece is already on it!  :D

200 pages into The Way of Kings Part Two.  I'm finding it hard to care anymore.  I'm tempted to chuck it in - life's too short, and all that - but I've got this far now, so . . .  :rolleyes:  :shrug:

Had a slight slack in reading mojo past few days. Been playing Theme Hospital and I've had to look after my niece and nephew yesterday so didn't get much chance to read. Managing to get in about 30 pages each time, which is about a half hours read for this book. Will definitely pick up over the weekend or later this week!

I started and finished Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (loved it!) and started Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris (which I'm also loving). I have to check the library if they have any of the sequels on both of these series.

I recently bought the three sequels to Grave Sight when I saw them on sale (on a book fair), I look forward to hear/read what you think of it! (I checked GoodReads first so that's why I commented there too :P).

I'm still waiting for something - anything - to happen :lol:  I'm guessing he gets paid by the word - that's the only reason I can come up with for all the talk about jam and/or stew.  Do these fantasy authors have any idea how long it takes to make a stew?  Oh, we've just spent all day getting slaughtered by the enemy.  Tell you what, let's make a stew :doh:  :giggle2:

This made me laugh :lol: I also recognize it happening it many fantasy series I've read. 

---

I just finished the Romanian series I've been rereading for the last two weeks...not sure what to read now. I might give it a day, so I can get over all the feelings this series left me with. 

I've given up on Ship of Fools, 44% into it.  Not what I thought.  Uninteresting characters that don't truly come alive for me.  Verra disappointed.

What next I don't know.  Not Wolf Hall, yet.....something light inbetween.  /decisions, decisions.....? :D

Just finished reading 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King and loved it, although the film version is one of my favourite films too. Now I'm just about to start 'The Kasmir Shawl' by Rosie Thomas.

^ 44% in?  I like that you did the maths!

lol  nah, no maths for me...I keep track of reading on goodreads, they give the percentage, even if it isn't on an ereader.

I've given up on Ship of Fools, 44% into it.  Not what I thought.  Uninteresting characters that don't truly come alive for me.  Verra disappointed.

What next I don't know.  Not Wolf Hall, yet.....something light inbetween.  /decisions, decisions.....? :D

You should read a chick-lit/fluff novel in between. None of the hassle of world-building or long chapters. Just plain old cringy/cheesy romance that won't take a toll haha. That's always my choice. Or read a genre you haven't read in a long time! :D

You should read a chick-lit/fluff novel in between. None of the hassle of world-building or long chapters. Just plain old cringy/cheesy romance that won't take a toll haha. That's always my choice. Or read a genre you haven't read in a long time! :D

LOL  I think I need to get back to mysteries for a bit.  Or a great reread that'll clear my head. :readingtwo:

A bit further on with Wolf Hall and I've started to hit some of the 'grammar problems' now that there is more dialogue. I do find myself wondering who is saying what.

Thank goodness it's not just me that has that problem with this book!

I went to the library this morning to collect my reserved copy of The Last Englishman The Life of J.L. Carr by Byron Rogers. Thank you Chesil for suggesting i try the library in the first place  :smile:

I'm nearly halfway through Wolf Hall & enjoying it so far.

I'm still reading Peaches for Monsieur le Curé in paperback, and I've started The Pearl Savage on the kindle. Getting into the first now but considering giving up on the second, it's for my out the comfort zone challenge and it is really not me at all.

I'm nostalgia reading now.  :)  Dark Shadows-Angelique's Desire by Lara Parker.  Lara Parker played Angelique in the old television soap opera Dark Shadows.  After seeing the new film Dark Shadows I happened on these books and couldn't resist them. It isn't that they are the greatest written books, but they are familiar characters for me.  In fact when DS was on the air here in the mid-60's I used to cut my last Study Hall to get home and watch it. :giggle:

I'm just under halfway through Making Habits, Breaking Habits by Jeremy Dean. It is about the psychology of why and how we develop habits and the effect these have on our lives. I had high hopes for the this book after reading a review in a science magazine about it but I'm finding it hard going due to the dry nature of Dean's writing.

After abandoning To The Lighthouse and a bit of a nightmare week last week, I've been comfort reading all weekend, indulging in fluff and nonsense.  Today though, I'm going back to something a bit more meaty with a Persephone book, Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski, I've downloaded the Kindle Daily Deal, A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar and I've got my book group choice for next month, Room by Emma Donoghue.