Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

Oh dear, it seems to be a day of struggling! I'm struggling through To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I'm reading it for my monthly book group, so I'm determined to finish it, but it's really not my sort of book I'm afraid. :( Can't wait to get to the end, if I'm honest.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little over half way through Wuthering Heights.

I don't like it at all. The violence and the ugliness in it is getting me down.

I truly hated Wuthering Heights.  Really and truly. 

Yes, it was very ugly, and all together mean.

I've had to give up 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel. I found the writing to be too confusing and generally a very difficult read. So now, I'm starting 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King. I love Stephen King novels and 'The Green Mile' is one of my favourite films, so I'm more optimistic about enjoying this.

Oh dear !!! I haven't started reading my copy yet but i'm feeling a bit nervous about starting on it in case i find it more hard work than pleasure  :o

I finished Letters to Alice  Fay Weldon last night & what better book to follow than a Jane Austen so i've started Northanger Abbey this morning.

I can't settle to reading anything at the moment, may be a combination of a bad virus I'm just getting over and some other stuff going on, but have downloaded a few books to my Kobo using a Waterstone's voucher in the hope of kickstarting my reading..

I downloaded..

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong

and

Hopeless - Colleen Hoover

The first and last have been recommended on here, the second is the third in a series of books I've enjoyed so far..

Here's hoping!!  :blush2:

I finished The Ruins of Time by Ben Woolfenden this morning.  I bought it recently after reading about it in Kidsmum's blog and looking it up on Amazon.  I really enjoyed it.  :)

I've just started The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson which Kay bought me for Christmas. 

Oh dear !!! I haven't started reading my copy yet but i'm feeling a bit nervous about starting on it in case i find it more hard work than pleasure  :o

I don't mean to put you off this book, you may enjoy it! I think it's a bit of a Marmite book, you either love it or you hate it....

@Chloe (risingdawn)

That's really nice! Are you still confused or is it a bit better now? You're making me eager for a reread XD even though I didn't read them that long ago relatively speaking and I kind of told myself I should read more of his other work first. Do you know what you'll read next? Hope you enjoy the rest of the book :).

It's a lot clearer now. Questions are starting to be answered about things. Like the questions regarding the possessed and stuff. But yeah, certainly a lot clearer now. I'm definitely not reading the next in the trilogy straight away. I'm going to read the second book in the Soldier Son trilogy next just because they're more relaxed and I find them easier to read through. Would also be a bad decision to start another long read such as the second in the Hamilton trilogy as I'm going away from home for a week over Easter and plan on just taking my Kobo with me to save suitcase space.

Definitely not done much reading of the book the past couple of days though. Been really sidetracked by having my niece and nephew around a lot and just my eyes being really tired in the evenings the past couple of days. I think that's down to the bright lights from the opticians. But I'm within the 100-200 page mark now of ending it. So it shouldn't be long. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of this weekend.

Edited by risingdawn

Currently reading Burning Bright by Helen Dunmore.  I've read a lot of her books now but this is definitely one of her darker ones.

I posted something in my thread.  I was kind. Sorta.

:D Sorta! I can't wait to read your review!

I'm so behind on things on here, I'm hoping to get back on track this weekend. I've missed reading everyone's reading logs!

I'm currently reading Separate Peace by John Knowles.

I

I've just started The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson which Kay bought me for Christmas. 

I've managed to avoid reading too many thoughts about this on here.   I have to say that it's not living up to expectations.  :(  I'm 44% of the way through it (being ill is good for my reading pace) but there is something about it...  It still has time to change my opinion, I guess. 

Thank heavens! Finally finished The Reality Dysfunction :D

I was going through my Kindle the other night, and I didn't realise that I own this! :thud: I loved Pandora's Star, so will definitely give this one a go after I get through my current reading list.

I'm hoping to finish Instructions for a Heatwave today, if all goes to plan. I may pop to the library to pick up Wolf Hall, or I may leave it till a bit later. Not sure.

Not had a great week generally, but reading wise, Thursday was the final straw for To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf for me.  68% read, but after the week I've had, it's definitely not worth plodding on with something I'm enjoying so little.  I can appreciate the quality and style of her writing, and I think that's what's kept me reading this long, but I need a story to move me through a book and that's just not what this book is.  It will not stop me from trying more of her books in the future, but this one is being abandoned.

Haven't decided what to pick up next yet though - will consider my options this morning. :)

Edited by chesilbeach

I finished The Ruins of Time by Ben Woolfenden this morning.  I bought it recently after reading about it in Kidsmum's blog and looking it up on Amazon.  I really enjoyed it.  :)

So glad you enjoyed it Janet  :smile:

I don't mean to put you off this book, you may enjoy it! I think it's a bit of a Marmite book, you either love it or you hate it....

I just started it this morning so i'll see what i think   :readingtwo:

Currently reading Burning Bright by Helen Dunmore.  I've read a lot of her books now but this is definitely one of her darker ones.

I really like Helen Dunmore ; I've read two of her books The Siege & With Your Crooked Heart & loved them both so i've got quite a few of her others on my TBR pile but i don't think Burning Bright is one of them  :smile:

I finished Northanger Abbey last night , i thought i'd already read it when i was younger but realised once i'd got into the story that i hadn't which was great as i enjoyed it all the more. I've made a start on Wolf Hall  Hilary Mantel this morning but my copy being hardback is huge so i might have to read something else along side it as it's too big to fit in my bag so no good for reading on the bus  :smile:

That's great to hear! I hope you enjoyed it :). Will you be writing a review / some thoughts, on your blog or on the forum?

What book will you be reading next?

Most likely be something on my blog soon :D And I'm going to be starting Forest Mage by Robin Hobb next.

I was going through my Kindle the other night, and I didn't realise that I own this! :thud: I loved Pandora's Star, so will definitely give this one a go after I get through my current reading list.

If you loved Pandora's Star you're in for a treat :D

I'm currently 345 pages into The Way of Kings.

If you loved Pandora's Star you're in for a treat :D

Really? Oh, goody then. Something to look forward to! :D

I've just ordered Wolf Hall for next months reading circle. In other news my mojo seems to have really picked up again.

Glad your mojo has picked up. Funnily enough, mine picked up again after I gave up on Dangerous Liaisons. :giggle2: