Your Book Activity ~ March 2013

Kylie

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About to start 'Appetite' by Philip Kazan..  not out till May in the UK but I got lucky in a Waterstones Read and Review giveaway ..

I'm reading this at the moment.  Sort of wondering what made me pick it up, but not going to give it up yet.

I'll be interested to know what you think bookmonkey.  It sort of didn't quite "do" it for me although I thought the detail in Victorian London amonst the abject poverty was superb.  But it was just a bit too much social reform study vs a good dramatic plot.

Can't be bothered with Wolf Hall. Started Bridget Jones' Diary instead, and I'm loving it. :giggle:

It's strange with Hilary Mantel books.  She is definitely a "marmite" author.  I tried Beyond Black a few year's back and couldn't be bothered to finish it.  I haven't read any of her books since.

It's strange with Hilary Mantel books.  She is definitely a "marmite" author.  I tried Beyond Black a few year's back and couldn't be bothered to finish it.  I haven't read any of her books since.

I'm in almost the same situation, Sue.  I finished Beyond Black but only because it was for my reading group, and I really disliked it.  It has put me off all her other books, no matter how good others say they are, I just don't want to pick up another (although I can almost guarantee Wolf Hall will come up at my book group at some point in the future, but I won't be reading it).

Well, I'm glad I gave it a go, as it was on my TBR pile since it was released. I don't think I'll bother with any of her books again, and if you look at the reviews on Amazon she is most definitely a marmite author. I'm glad I borrowed it, rather than shell out money for it! :boogie:

I got about twenty pages into a re read of a favourite when it all ground to a halt. :( Since that occured I have been fighting the sense of loss I always get when my mojo goes away, and have been writing bits and pieces instead. .

I WANT MY MOJO BACK!  So anyhoo, if anyone spies my reading mojo when they are out and about, can you give it the bus fare to get home to me? PLEASE!!!   :yes:

I'm currently reading Energise You - The ultimate health and energy plan by Oliver Gray, I've just started trying to eat more healthily as I've joined the local gym and want to make the best of things.. It's a great little book, very simply written without all the scientific info that would just clutter my mind.. Lots of great facts and tips for all round good health and well being.. :)

I'm currently on a book spending freeze, so I'm only downloading free Kindle books at the moment.  I've still got a handful of books on my TBR pile, plus I've always got bookshelves full of OH's books that I've never read that I can dip into if I want to, so it's not too much of a problem!  Finished a murder/mystery/rom/com last night called Armed and Fabulous by Camilla Chafer, which is the first in a series and was being offered free, and I enjoyed it a lot.  :smile2:

I acquired a few books the past few months, and I finally had time to type the full list, it's in my book thread as it would be too big for here.

Listened to Alan Bennett reading his book, The Uncommon Reader today while getting on with other things, and most enjoyable it wa too! :D  Also started listening to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - I think I'm upto chapter 9 so far.

Finished Bridget Jones' Diary. Fluffy fun which is just what I needed, though I think I prefer the movie

Moved on to The Rats by James Herbert. It's a short book, just over 200 pages so I'm hoping I will finish it today.

I got through 6 books in March which were as follows: 

Requiem - Lauren Oliver

Viking 3: Kings Man - Tim Severin 

Viking 2: Sworn Brother - Tim Severin

Viking 1: Odinn's Child - Tim Severin

Human Remains - Elizabeth Haines

Ways of Going Home - Alejandro Zambra

Listened to Alan Bennett reading his book, The Uncommon Reader today while getting on with other things, and most enjoyable it wa too! :D   

I have this on audio as well i could listen to Alan Bennetts voice all day  :smile:

I'm loving Wolf Hall.

Glad your enjoying it  :smile:

I stayed up last night to finish The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel as i wanted to start April with a new book, it was a great read & i will get round to watching the movie eventually i hope. I've gone for something completely different for my next read If Not Now, When ?  Primo Levi. It's about a group of partisans trapped behind enemy lines during the Second World War.