What's up in January

Lilywhite

Hi guys it's been a long time since I've been around. I've been thinking about popping back for a while but somehow never actually did it. Still online a lot but my blog is taking up more and more of my time. I got an e-mail from here today so it's prompted me to actually do something!

Happy New Year to you all.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up in January, you ask?

Well, I got a message from the system here today, saying that I've been missed, as it's been a long time since I've been here. So, I thought about it, and decided to come here and explain myself.

You see, I was introduced to this message board by a former member who went by the name fireball here. fireball was a very good friend of mine, and when I found out that he'd been banned from this board, I really didn't feel like I should participate here anymore, as a sign of support for him - it just didn't feel right. I use the past tense 'was', as fireball died of a massive stroke on Boxing Day of 2008. For those of you who may remember him, a lot of the reason fireball was the way he was, was that he was was battling his way back from the damage caused by a stroke that should have killed him years previous, but miraculously didn't. Every post was a struggle for him to compose.

I still really miss him, and I think about him every day. And I'd be the first to admit that my joy for reading has been greatly diminished by his passing. It was a passion we shared, and it's still difficult for me, as the memories of that passion, and the association of it with him, are still very painful at this point.

Anyhow, I doubt that I'm likely to be back here much, if at all. I don't imagine many of you would remember me anyway. Plus, since I haven't been reading much in the past four years, I probably wouldn't be able to contribute much here.

Mbwun_lily, I'm so sorry that you lost your friend fireball, and that his passing has changed your enjoyment of once shared activities. Fireball was before my time here on the forum. I think it was good that you posted here though.

Take care. :smile:

I'm not so good with Imperial units, but here they say it'll start freezing soon here (below 0 C). We've had nice (for this time of year) weather the past two weeks, I'm not really looking forward to it getting colder again. Before these two weeks, there was lots of snow and it was quite cold. I don't mind snow when I can stay inside, but I have to go outside to get to university etc.

We (in the UK) have had a very mild few weeks that I have really enjoyed. It looks like our weather is heading the same way and I am not looking forward to the cold or the prospect of snow. Cold and snow never used to bother me but years of working outside has beaten me and now I really don't like it.

I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday. I haven't had a full week at work since before Christmas, but I'm finding myself very exhausted lately.

No fire drills today, so no running up and down stairs which was nice!

sofia, I am really glad that you and your family pulled through the flu ok. it is really an epidemic in the U.S. and in your area especially. There are so many deaths from it and they are saying that it could be the worst ever flu season .

on another note. I was asked today to extend my employment for another two weeks which means I will have 16 "working days" left instead of 6. I reluctantly accepted the extension. "Poppy", zip it up. :)

sofia, I am really glad that you and your family pulled through the flu ok. it is really an epidemic in the U.S. and in your area especially. There are so many deaths from it and they are saying that it could be the worst ever flu season .

That's bad. Is the 'flu injection preventing it?

on another note. I was asked today to extend my employment for another two weeks which means I will have 16 "working days" left instead of 6. I reluctantly accepted the extension. "Poppy", zip it up. :)

:rolol: I just KNEW it!!

That's bad. Is the 'flu injection preventing it?

:rolol: I just KNEW it!!

You just couldn't resist, could you. :)

Somewhat, but I understand the flu shots are only 60% effective, but I guess it would be much, much, worse without people getting the shots. I got a flu shot this year for the first time in over 30 years.

Edited by muggle not

I've never had one, but it would pay when there's a really nasty one going round. I'm sure flu's and colds are way worse than they used to be. I never remember being laid low like some of the ones doing the rounds now make you feel.

Hi Muggles. We haven't had any smoke that I've noticed (I've been hiding inside, away from the heat). There have been a couple of fires near my area, but I don't think the wind has blown the smoke this way. We're in the middle of a heatwave - I can't recall having so many days of 40+ temperatures in one summer before. :( It will be 41 degrees today and 42 tomorrow.

You poor guys over there :( The fires and heatwave makes our news every night. Hope it cools down soon for you. Heard further north somewhere (was it Alice Springs?) was having temps in the 50's :icon_eek: (over 120F)

Found this article which says they've had to add new colours to to the temperature map because they've broken all records.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/temperatures-off-the-charts-as-australia-turns-deep-purple-20130108-2ce33.html

What's up in January, you ask?

Well, I got a message from the system here today, saying that I've been missed, as it's been a long time since I've been here. So, I thought about it, and decided to come here and explain myself.

You see, I was introduced to this message board by a former member who went by the name fireball here. fireball was a very good friend of mine, and when I found out that he'd been banned from this board, I really didn't feel like I should participate here anymore, as a sign of support for him - it just didn't feel right. I use the past tense 'was', as fireball died of a massive stroke on Boxing Day of 2008. For those of you who may remember him, a lot of the reason fireball was the way he was, was that he was was battling his way back from the damage caused by a stroke that should have killed him years previous, but miraculously didn't. Every post was a struggle for him to compose.

I still really miss him, and I think about him every day. And I'd be the first to admit that my joy for reading has been greatly diminished by his passing. It was a passion we shared, and it's still difficult for me, as the memories of that passion, and the association of it with him, are still very painful at this point.

Anyhow, I doubt that I'm likely to be back here much, if at all. I don't imagine many of you would remember me anyway. Plus, since I haven't been reading much in the past four years, I probably wouldn't be able to contribute much here.

Lily, I remember you and fireball well and I'm very sorry to hear he has died. I understand completely why you stopped posting here. I pulled out of another forum because they banned a guy who was bi-polar. He wasn't a close friend but I felt very indignant about his treatment. As long as people are not being deliberately offensive I think we should be tolerant of others idiosyncrasies, sometimes it's the only place they find to express themselves. Take care Lily :friends0:

You poor guys over there :( The fires and heatwave makes our news every night. Hope it cools down soon for you. Heard further north somewhere (was it Alice Springs?) was having temps in the 50's :icon_eek: (over 120F)

Found this article which says they've had to add new colours to to the temperature map because they've broken all records.

http://www.smh.com.a...0108-2ce33.html

Yes. Unfortunately, with global warming the way it is, I guess those new colours will be used more frequently in years to come.

So many of the fires have been deliberately lit. :( The more the media talk about it, the more ideas it puts into people's minds, I think. I reckon the fire starters should all be charged with attempted murder, as they are well aware that their actions could result in widespread death and destruction. We have been very fortunate not to lose any (human) lives, and to lose few homes.

I couldn't stand that heat Kylie. The highest I remember is 33c, and that was almost unbearable.

We've had a funny sort of haze (not smoke, looks a little like a thin fog at cloud level) that the weather people say is from the Tasmanian fires. Amazing that it could come all this way.

Mbwun_Lily, I'm sorry to hear that news, I really am. For your benefit, and others on here, we rarely ban anyone, and it's a decision we come to over after much discussion. I don't recall the details, but it's not something we would have done without good reason, so it seems unfair to come and drag it all back up again.

Somewhat, but I understand the flu shots are only 60% effective, but I guess it would be much, much, worse without people getting the shots. I got a flu shot this year for the first time in over 30 years.

I've had the Mexican flu these past two weeks, it's nearly over now. It's been a tough few days, only slowly improving. My whole family, except those who got the flu vaccin, got ill. So in their case I think it worked. I'm glad the illness is nearly over for us all now.

@ Mbwun_Lily

I'm sorry for your loss :(.

@ Chesil

Happy Anniversary!

Edited by Athena

thanks Muggle...my daughter is def feeling better, (but still coughing a lot...so am keeping an eye on her.) I also heard that there is a lot of whooping cough as well. Supposedly the worst is still yet to come

I still really miss him, and I think about him every day. And I'd be the first to admit that my joy for reading has been greatly diminished by his passing.

I'm sorry for your loss Mbwun_Lily.

I can't believe it's the fourth anniversary of my joining BCF today! :doowapstart: Happy anniversary to me! :D

Happy BCF anniversary chesil :)