Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

Well done, I remember hitting the chapter on Black Holes and my brain melted.

I loved the Black Holes chapter...although I think I understood most things minimally :lol: But it made sense while reading!

---

Started Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner #3) last night...only read a few pages though, more today.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you explain it to anyone now, though?!

Probably not :lol:

I was actually thinking about this earlier...what I do remember from the book? And it's very little that I didn't already know after taking physics for too many years. It's like it refreshed those notions (particle/antiparticle for example) and it helped when I was reading, but I couldn't tell you what I read or explain it, unless I tried very, very hard and had the book in front of me. Interesting!

I finished A Casual Vacancy. I kind of enjoyed it but for most of it I wondered where it was going and I still didn't really know by the end.

I've also finished The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho which I enjoyed at the time but can't seemed to recall anything that happened in it after!

Trying to decide what to read next.

It doesn't look like I'm going to hit my target of 100 books this year. So far I'm on 86 so not even close. Oh well...better luck next year. :smile:

Probably not :lol:

I was actually thinking about this earlier...what I do remember from the book? And it's very little that I didn't already know after taking physics for too many years. It's like it refreshed those notions (particle/antiparticle for example) and it helped when I was reading, but I couldn't tell you what I read or explain it, unless I tried very, very hard and had the book in front of me. Interesting!

I thought as much!

I finished Emma! :doowapstart:

With the spanner or the rope, and in the library or the billard room? (and what did you do with the body?!).

Read Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman, which was an interesting short read.

Also read Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose, it was good and gave some very interesting and moving accounts of E companies experience. I really liked how it followed one company from it's original formation through its various campaigns to Hitler's Eagle Nest. Unfortunately because of this style a lot of the events were not put into context with the rest of the war, a simple sentence here or there to state what else was happening at the same time in the rest of the world would have been a big help.

I also noticed quite a bit of bias from the American author, he makes it sound like every American is hero fighting for freedom and liberty (surprisingly no mention of the segregated army) whilst every German is an evil oppressor. He even makes the allies sound useless and incompetent. Occasionally he mentions an American failing, bad judgement or atrocity but this is quickly followed by excuses and justifications.

I did a quick Google search straight after finishing it to see if others thought this and apparently there is a lot of evidence that Ambrose was frequently inaccurate with falsifications and even plagiarism. I don't know whether this applies to Band of Brothers or not but most of his evidence seems to be based on the relocation of 70 year old veterans of E Company, whether that makes it more reliable or less reliable I won't judge. But there are certainly no accounts from any other company that either fought with them or against them.

Overall it is a moving experience but needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt and I wouldn't recite any historical facts from it. I don't think I will be reading any more Ambrose.

Edited by Timstar

It doesn't look like I'm going to hit my target of 100 books this year. So far I'm on 86 so not even close. Oh well...better luck next year. :smile:

Oh, now's not the time to give up and despair... full steam ahead and read on! :readingtwo::D Seriously speaking, I have the same target as you, and I'm five books behind you, so if you care for my opinion, you've done great and you can still squeeze in a few books :yes:

Last night I got into The Lions of Al-Rassan again, as for the past x amount of nights, and I realised I hadn't just gotten over half of it, I remembered the entire page amount wrong :doh: I have 240 pages left, and I'm happy to say the going's gotten great again :smile2:

I wish to finish it soon, though, because I still want and need to read the December RC book (!!) and then there's the January RC book, and on top of that I have to read A Casual Vacancy before January 2nd when it's due to be taken back to the library. Busy times :D

No recreational reading for me at the moment, just various books on theory like Beginning Postcolonialism and Realism for revision purposes. Yawn. Re-reading passages from the various novels I've studied this year has made me realise they've given us some cracking books, and also some that induced sleep, but hey ho. Will finally get chance to read what I want when the 19th is over with, I eagerly await that day..

I've got to stop going Christmas shopping, I'm averaging one present for family, two or three for me at the moment . . .

In a move that will surely please Kylie, I've been buying books again. This time:

Moon Over Soho and Whispers Underground, by Ben Aaronovitch

World War Z, bu Max Brooks and

The Pollinators of Eden, by John Boyd (this last one was second hand).

Just finished One Day by David Nicholls. Enjoyed it until

Emma died. That just ruined it for me. :censored: I skimmed it to the end after that because I just didn't care about what happened anymore.

No idea what is next on the list. I have an exam on Thursday, so probably won't start anything until that's out of the way.

Edited by bobblybear

^ I was wondering what you would think when you hit that.

Emma is still one of my favourite literary characters of recent years, she just seemed so real to me when I read the book. I was gutted when she died (although I did see it coming several chapters before it happened).

I've got to stop going Christmas shopping, I'm averaging one present for family, two or three for me at the moment . . .

In a move that will surely please Kylie, I've been buying books again. This time:

Moon Over Soho and Whispers Underground, by Ben Aaronovitch

World War Z, bu Max Brooks and

The Pollinators of Eden, by John Boyd (this last one was second hand).

Kylie is verily pleased. :D Especially with the first three books (which I haven't read myself but I believe they'll be excellent).

I received The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter in the mail the other day. A chance to catch up on some more children's classics that I missed as a youngster. :)

Kylie is verily pleased. :D Especially with the first three books (which I haven't read myself but I believe they'll be excellent).

I received The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter in the mail the other day. A chance to catch up on some more children's classics that I missed as a youngster. :)

I had an wonderfully illustrated collection of small hardback books that were the Tales of Beatrix Potter. I'm convinced that those books along with some Roald Dahl books and Brer Rabbit books are the reason why I grew to love reading as a child. I wish I still had those books.

Almost done with Traitor's Moon, it is so good. I just ordered the next book in the series, although I'll have to find something else to read until it arrives. Maybe A Dance With Dragons since I got it ages ago and haven't started it yet.

I bought The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared last night as Michelle pointed out the Kindle version was on offer at 20p, and I'd been planning to get it at some point anyway.

Started Findings by Kathleen Jamie this morning, and am in love with it already - beautiful writing, here's a quote:

The moon had around it an aura of un-colours, the colours of oil spilled on tarmac.