Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slaughterhouse 5 sounds like an interesting book (I just read about it on goodreads), I think I may just add it to my list.

edit: turns out it was already on the list :giggle2: I need a new brain!

Edited by Devi

Oh dear, that bad is it? :giggle: Well, I'll give it a go anyway as it can't be any worse than the rubbish they put on TV over Christmas! :giggle:

I think it's a brilliant movie. The sequels, however, are total pants :lol:

Slaughterhouse 5 sounds like an interesting book (I just read about it on goodreads), I think I may just add it to my list.

edit: turns out it was already on the list :giggle2: I need a new brain!

:D Good job, Devi :D I will donate a few dollars for the good cause... :D I hope you will enjoy the book, too!

I think it's a brilliant movie. The sequels, however, are total pants :lol:

... and we know how much you hate pants and favour skirts...

:giggle2:

Finished About a Boy, it was lovely :) Some very funny moments, but also serious at times. Enjoyed it a lot.

That's great, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) I think it's one of Hornby's best novels (I would recommend Juliet, Naked if you haven't read it yet), and you're right, it's serious as well as funny. A spot on read :)

I received five new books as christmas presents today! I put them in my reading list for 2013!

That's great, I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) I think it's one of Hornby's best novels (I would recommend Juliet, Naked if you haven't read it yet), and you're right, it's serious as well as funny. A spot on read :)

I wasn't that struck with Juliet, Naked. If you are interested, you can read my review here.

I read Slam last year and I wasn't very impressed, but I did hear good things about Juliet, Naked. In a way it was good I forgot Slam was by Nick Hornby (I'm awful with names), or I might have not tried About a Boy - he's redeemed himself in my eyes :P

---

I read Clockwork by Phillip Pullman last night, it was so cute and lovely...perfect Christmas Eve read.

I received a Kindle for Christmas from one of my brothers (I'm still a bit shocked, really didn't expect it) so I've been looking at books a lot. My first purchase was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which I've already started. I also started Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling last night.

I read Slam last year and I wasn't very impressed, but I did hear good things about Juliet, Naked. In a way it was good I forgot Slam was by Nick Hornby (I'm awful with names), or I might have not tried About a Boy - he's redeemed himself in my eyes :P

I also didn't enjoy Slam, so you're definitely not alone in that :)Juliet, Naked is probably my favorite of Hornby's, Raven is of a different opinion, but then he would be because according to his review he enjoyed Fever Pitch which I thought was the pants :P Maybe you just need to read them all by yourself and form your own opinion :D I would be glad to hear what you thought of all of his books!

Not much progress with The Casual Vacancy... sigh. I'm awful but I'm already almost wanting to go back to Joensuu so I'd have time to read.

I also didn't enjoy Slam, so you're definitely not alone in that :)Juliet, Naked is probably my favorite of Hornby's, Raven is of a different opinion, but then he would be because according to his review he enjoyed Fever Pitch which I thought was the pants :P Maybe you just need to read them all by yourself and form your own opinion :D I would be glad to hear what you thought of all of his books!

Not much progress with The Casual Vacancy... sigh. I'm awful but I'm already almost wanting to go back to Joensuu so I'd have time to read.

It's better for me to see that the two of you have such different opinions :lol: I'll definitely come back after I've read Juliet, Naked too - it's on the list!

I received a Kindle for Christmas from one of my brothers (I'm still a bit shocked, really didn't expect it) so I've been looking at books a lot. My first purchase was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which I've already started. I also started Shadows Return by Lynn Flewelling last night.

Make sure you check out the 12 Days of Kindle, and also the Kindle Daily Deal. There are some good bargains to be had. :smile:

Juliet, Naked was okay, just not that good (I don't begrudge having read it).

I found Fever Pitch a good read because it really delves into obsession (it doesn't really matter that the subject is football, the behaviour Hornby talks about can be applied to any pass time, really). High Fidelity is better again (though for different reasons).

Make sure you check out the 12 Days of Kindle, and also the Kindle Daily Deal. There are some good bargains to be had. :smile:

Thanks for the tip! Although of course I ended up spending money on the Kindle Daily Deal today.

Bought At My Mother's Knee... and Other Low Joints, the first of three autobiographies by Paul O'Grady. Been wanting this book since it was the ONLY biography he had back in 2008, but couldn't find it for love nor money! Bought it from my Kobo's e-bookstore for 8 quid :D It's very good!