Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently reading Divorce Islamic Style by Amara Lakhous. Currently read 132 books this year, so doubting I'll make it to 150 this year, close but yet again think I'll just fall short. Not really that bothered as it's been a marvellous reading year anyway, and dead chuffed to have had a zero TBR at one point. Not going to rush anything, just want to enjoy the last month of reading, and looking forward to the week after Christmas which is always dedicated to relaxing and reading before a hectic start to the new year.

I still have 200 pages to go but I have to say, I am legend is shaping up to be one of my top 5 books for 2012!

Edited by Devi

I went looking for Christmas present ideas and ended up blowing £21 on myself in Waterstone's where I got the following:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

D-Day - The Battle for Normandy, by Antony Beevor and

The Difference Engine, by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling

Possibly the only time in history that combination of books has been bought at the same time.

Which to read first . . .

I finished With Your Crooked Heart Helen Dunmore , this is the first book i've read by this author & i was really impressed, great characters & a truly shocking ending. Sticking with lighter reads for this month i picked up a book my sister gave me ages ago which i guess would come under the umbrella of Chick lit, The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton Catherine Alliott, it's not a book i would have ever chosen myself but i'm really enjoying it & it's a book that you can read a chapter here & there so great for when your busy, busy, busy :smile:

I just bought The Hobbit and Catch 22 today. I want to read The Hobbit before the film comes out. My mum also bought me The Litigators by John Grisham as a christmas present, but I will have to wait for that one.

I started to read 1984 by Orwell today at work, got about 50 pages into it, enjoying. Unfortunately I have a colleague who wont STFU when i'm reading so I had to stop. :motz:

I hate that, or when someone comes into the room and turns on a TV. I know some people can ignore it but I get really distracted by sound.

I went looking for Christmas present ideas and ended up blowing £21 on myself in Waterstone's where I got the following:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

D-Day - The Battle for Normandy, by Antony Beevor and

The Difference Engine, by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling

Possibly the only time in history that combination of books has been bought at the same time.

Which to read first . . .

I love it when you give in to buying books. ;)

I'd go for The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's a lovely read, and pretty quick, and you may want to catch the movie afterwards. :)

I just bought The Hobbit and Catch 22 today. I want to read The Hobbit before the film comes out.

Excellent! Both are brilliant books. I'd like to re-read the book before The Hobbit comes out, but I likely won't get a chance. I think I remember it well enough though.

I hate that, or when someone comes into the room and turns on a TV. I know some people can ignore it but I get really distracted by sound.

Groucho Marx: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

I found a brand new copy of catch 22 in the local book barn for $3! I think I might read it after I am legend

Edited by Devi

I've given up on The Fault in our Stars by John Green. It's well-written but not something I can relate to. I did flip to the back though, to see how it ends. ;)

Now I've started The Brave by Nicholas Evans. I've only read the first chapter and I'm already hooked. He has to be one of my favorite authors now. After this one, I'll have read all of his books.

I moved a small bookcase downstairs today to make room for a bed my folks are giving me. I nearly squashed my cat in the process (why does he run away from absolutely everything except when there is actual danger?) I then tried to make a Christmas tree out of my language books. It did not work out very well. I was doing it on a small scale, but I think it really needs to be done on a larger scale. I may try again later.

I found a brand new copy of catch 22 in the local book barn for $3! I think I might read it after I am legend

This is my second copy, I bought a copy at the charity shop once but when I got home it was missing pages :(

Excellent! Both are brilliant books. I'd like to re-read the book before The Hobbit comes out, but I likely won't get a chance. I think I remember it well enough though.

Groucho Marx: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

I like the quote :) I read 20 pages of The Hobbit last night, I think it will take a little getting used to as I mainly read crime books. I'm looking forward to really getting into it though. I only really got into reading fiction recently which is great because I get to discover all of these classic books :D

I'm currently reading Divorce Islamic Style by Amara Lakhous. Currently read 132 books this year, so doubting I'll make it to 150 this year, close but yet again think I'll just fall short. Not really that bothered as it's been a marvellous reading year anyway, and dead chuffed to have had a zero TBR at one point. Not going to rush anything, just want to enjoy the last month of reading, and looking forward to the week after Christmas which is always dedicated to relaxing and reading before a hectic start to the new year.

132 books so far this year?! Wow! :D You've done amazing, but that's no huge surprise. How is Divorce Islamic Style going? Is it fiction or non-fiction? The title alone intrigues me.

I started to read 1984 by Orwell today at work, got about 50 pages into it, enjoying. Unfortunately I have a colleague who wont STFU when i'm reading so I had to stop. :motz:

Throw a book at him :giggle: I've been meaning to read 1984 for ages, I think it's one of those books that I need to read before I die, but I never get around to it. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on it!

I moved a small bookcase downstairs today to make room for a bed my folks are giving me. I nearly squashed my cat in the process (why does he run away from absolutely everything except when there is actual danger?) I then tried to make a Christmas tree out of my language books. It did not work out very well. I was doing it on a small scale, but I think it really needs to be done on a larger scale. I may try again later.

Oooh, is it like the one I had in my use when I was there? And did you put it where it was in 2010? Hehe! Making a Christmas tree out of books is surprisingly difficult. I remember my sad looking effort from last year. :rolleyes:

I'm currently reading The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay (amazing!) and Virginia Woolf by Nigel Nicolson (amazing!). Couldn't be happier with my reading at the moment.

I can normally zone out noise, I can read a books with a TV on in the background with no problem but his voice cuts right through me.

I read Catch-22 for the first time this year, it's a great book.

Throw a book at him :giggle: I've been meaning to read 1984 for ages, I think it's one of those books that I need to read before I die, but I never get around to it. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on it!

You need to read it :P

There is a trashed copy of some Jackie Collins book sitting on the side at work, maybe I should launch that at him.

I too have 1984 on my TBR pile!

It seems I was not alone in having an unread copy.

Oooh, is it like the one I had in my use when I was there? And did you put it where it was in 2010? Hehe! Making a Christmas tree out of books is surprisingly difficult. I remember my sad looking effort from last year. :rolleyes:

It is the exact bookcase you used when you were here. :) It's not back in its old place - that's where I'd like to put it but there is other (immovable) stuff there now. :( It is awkwardly placed next to the staircase. I'll take pics for you.

Yes, I remembered how difficult you said the book Christmas tree was, so I tried to be very careful and take my time, but it still sucked. :o It basically looked like a teetering pile of books. :rolleyes:

I too have 1984 on my TBR pile!

I hope you mean the novel, and not 1984 books :giggle2: That would be an exhaustive amount of books on TBR!

You need to read it :P

I know, I know :D But I'm scared it'll be a difficult read. Is it?

There is a trashed copy of some Jackie Collins book sitting on the side at work, maybe I should launch that at him.

That would do it! Please don't use the 1984 book for that :giggle2:

It is the exact bookcase you used when you were here. :) It's not back in its old place - that's where I'd like to put it but there is other (immovable) stuff there now. :( It is awkwardly placed next to the staircase. I'll take pics for you.

Yes, I remembered how difficult you said the book Christmas tree was, so I tried to be very careful and take my time, but it still sucked. :o It basically looked like a teetering pile of books. :rolleyes:

Oooh, I almost missed this post. Oh, it's my bookcase! Hehe! I remember thinking it was so cool that you got me my own bookcase in the kitchen 'lounge', it was so nice! :smile2: Hehe, I don't know how much planning it would take to make a great book Christmas tree, but I'm thinking it's nearly undoable :blush: I feel like one can't do it by themselves, it takes a team.

Edit: take pics of the tree, please? :D I remember you guys forcing me to take pics eventhough I told you it looked awful :D

132 books so far this year?! Wow! :D You've done amazing, but that's no huge surprise. How is Divorce Islamic Style going? Is it fiction or non-fiction? The title alone intrigues me.

I've just finished it. It's fiction, translated from Italian, and it's about a young Sicilian you can speak fluent Arabic and is recruited by the Italian secret service to help infiltrate a terrorist cell in an immigrant community in Rome. His narrative is alternated with that of a young Muslim wife who has moved from Egypt with her husband who is trying to better himself in the European economy. She has secretly harboured the wish to become a hairdresser but after marriage her husband has asked her to take the veil. I really enjoyed it, although I have my reservations about the ending.

I've finished The Life and Times of a She-Devil by Fay Weldon. Which I liked but thought it was pretty weird too.

I am going to have another go at reading The Casual Vacancy, hopefully I am in a better frame of mind to enjoy it this time.

I'm currently reading The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay (amazing!) and Virginia Woolf by Nigel Nicolson (amazing!). Couldn't be happier with my reading at the moment.

Oh yippee yo yippee yay! :D I couldn't be happier with your reading either :)

A Christmas tree out of books is too hard, I tried once before but failed. I didn't have the right type of books (or the right type of patience :giggle:) .. it looks so achievable when you see the pics.

I am currently reading The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and loving it. I'm glad actually because my niece has asked for it for Christmas and it's nice to know that it's good .. though I knew it was cos frankie said :friends0:

Also plodding on with Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Living to Tell the Tale which will probably take me into next year because it's vast and I'm only reading a few chapters a day. It's part one of his memoirs but so reminiscent of his novels because he lifted some of his plotlines from life.

Started on Gillespie & I by Jane Harris too .. very good so far.

I am currently reading The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson and loving it. I'm glad actually because my niece has asked for it for Christmas and it's nice to know that it's good .. though I knew it was cos frankie said :friends0:

This is on my 'next book to read' list :) It sounds delightful.

I'm currently finishing off Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and Persuasion by Jane Austen, I made the terrible mistake of starting two books at the same time - massive error!

My 2013 reading list is currently looking like this:

Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story - Anne Rice

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King (The sequel to The Shinning) It's going to be a painful wait until September! The World waits with breath that is baited!

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde (Oldie but a goodie, I think it was released in 2001)

Grandville Bete Noire - Bryan Talbot ....AND...

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns - Lauren Weisberger (Sequel to The Devil Wears Prada) I really can't resist a sequel!

I can't believe I've still not read The Hobbit so with the movie coming out this year it's a must, and I'm defintiely adding 1984 to my list!

Does anyone have any other suggestions?