Your Book Activity ~ December 2012

Kylie

65052_10152341921330317_1176933543_n.jpg

This is the only picture I have so far, ignore the present on the top left! I'll take a picture of them out of their dustcovers and add it another time :) I might make a thread for the books once I'm done reading them, and include pictures there!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

65052_10152341921330317_1176933543_n.jpg

This is the only picture I have so far, ignore the present on the top left! I'll take a picture of them out of their dustcovers and add it another time :) I might make a thread for the books once I'm done reading them, and include pictures there!

wow! they look amazing! I love the covers :D I can see why you love them so much.

Edited by Devi

I have started reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I won't have much time for reading at all for the next week, though. :(

LOVED that book....so funny too!

Finally finished Her Fearful Symmetry and considering Wolf Hall next

I've started About a Boy by Nick Hornby, just to take a small break from fantasy world. It's alright so far.

I hope you enjoy this, I found it funny and delightful and so readable :)

I have started reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. I won't have much time for reading at all for the next week, though. :(

This is only the third media where I tell you: wohoo!!! :lol:

LOVED that book....so funny too!

Agreed! It's so funny, eventhough the subject matter gets disturbing and gross at times. So funny.

I had to start JK Rowling's A Casual Vacancy because I have to take it back to the library in a few weeks. So far I'm loving it! :)

Those look interesting! Will look out for that thread.

I haven't done any reading today - except for a little essay by Dorothy L Sayers - The Lost Tools of Learning

Hope to read a bit of Emma before I sleep.

What did you think of "HFS" Sofia?

Well, in general I liked it.....I'll admit it was hard to put down at times...but I wasn't crazy about the ending....

I did like Time Traveler's Wife more

Edited by Sofia

I have bought a few Kindle books in recent weeks. :blush2: The prices were VERY good though...... :D

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Trains & Lovers ; The Heart's Journey by Alexander McCall- Smith

The Jeeves Collection by PG Wodehouse

1,227 QI Facts to Blow Your Socks Off

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window & Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson - Thanks to Michelle for the heads up on the price!

Fujisan by Randy Taguchi

The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend

Soul Dust; The Magic Of Consciousness by NIcholas Humphrey

The Secret Intensity Of Everyday Life by William Nicholson

The Forgottenn Garden by Kate Morton

A Highland Christmas by MC Beaton

My Dead Friend Sarah by Peter Rosch

I'm reading The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell at the moment, just finished the first one (Under the Bright Lights). A quote on the cover compares his writing to Cormac McCarthy, but I'd really have to say......maybe. I found him more comparable to James Lee Burke.

I will say that sometimes though I find Woodrell's prose a little overblown. Now I'd never say that about Burke or McCarthy. What is the difference? Beats me. It's just the vibes. :)

Finished At the Sign of the Sugared Plum, Mary Hooper. It's funny, although I was obviously aware of The Plague before I had never really thought about it in terms of the people, what they suffered physically and psychologically and how it was dealt with by the London authorities of the time. The book was informative and interesting but at no time did it feel dull or over detailed. A good 4/5 for me and I think the sequel will be one of my first Kobo reads after Christmas.

Edited by chaliepud

I received The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons from Jänet in the mail yesterday, thanks! :smile2:

I've read about 150 pages of The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling, I'm hoping to read more in the bus today. 2 hours, a good stretch :)

Bobbly, I have Starship Troopers on my TBR pile. It is probably best that you are reading the book first, otherwise the movie might put you off...

Oh dear, that bad is it? :giggle: Well, I'll give it a go anyway as it can't be any worse than the rubbish they put on TV over Christmas! :giggle:

Still with Emma, here.

So far it's been the easiest of the Austen novels to get into -

- or maybe, this being my third, I'm just getting more familiar with Austen-speak?!

I received The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons from Jänet in the mail yesterday, thanks! :smile2:

Great read, hope you enjoy it Frankie :smile:

Oh dear, that bad is it? :giggle: Well, I'll give it a go anyway as it can't be any worse than the rubbish they put on TV over Christmas! :giggle:

I liked the movie but didn't realise it was a book first :smile:

I finished The Magician Somerset Maugham not one of my favourites of his but it wasn't bad. I've started The Tenderness Of Wolves Stef Penney for next months reading circle only read the first few chapters but so far so good.

Great read, hope you enjoy it Frankie :smile:

You're welcome. :hug: I do hope you enjoy it! noes.gif

Don't worry you guys, I have a feeling I'm going to like the novel! :D I did enjoy Mr Rosenblum's List, I think that bodes well for this novel :yes:

I'm off to bed to continue The Casual Vacancy.

Starting Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut... Not sure what to expect so I'm just gonna dive in! :)

I read it for the first time recently and once I got my head round the strange plot I found it to be a very enjoyable and thought provoking read.

Been a while since I've been on here, but I have been reading I promise! I just got a Kindle, so no doubt I'll be lurking about on here again :)

Anyway, December's reads. I've been going through a "I need an easy book to read" phase, so switched to some chick lit, albeit Christmas themed ;) I'd had enough of horrors and thrillers for a while. So here is what I've read this month.

Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley

Something From Tiffany's by Melissa Hill

I'm currently reading Christmas At The Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan, loving it, got about 90 pages to go, and drastically trying to finish it so I can get cracking on my new Kindle :)

Starting Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut... Not sure what to expect so I'm just gonna dive in! :)

I read it for the first time recently and once I got my head round the strange plot I found it to be a very enjoyable and thought provoking read.

I was going to start writing something but then Brian took the words right out of my mouth :D Although I had to read it for this post-modern fiction class years and years ago. It takes a certain mood to read it, or at least a very open mind :) I hope you enjoy the novel!

I have a line from that book tattooed on my foot :)

The day before yesterday I read Looking For Alaska by John Green. It was good, very readable and parts I thoroughly enjoyed, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. It was his first novel though, so I'm hoping the others will be a bit better.