How Many in your TBR Pile

I only have a measly 4 books next to my bed :blush:

though 3 of them are 600+ pages... I really need to get a job so I can buy some nice novellas/relativley small books. (My plan for getting through Herodotus was to read a novella in between each of the six books the big book is split into! Sadly that plans falling apart with my lack of jobness...)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread made me sad, it seems like other people have manageable TBRs, lists that can actually be shortened by reading 6 books.

On my TBR (which I don't have on me right now so this is a rough estimate) there are about 300 novels. I would also wish to read all of the novels on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (so far I've read 39 of them), and as a fan of Gilmore Girls and Rory I would like to read all the books on Rory's list. I haven't counted them but I'd say there are about 100-140 books on it.

:smile2:

Edit: Maybe the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die marathon isn't realistic. Okay I won't count that one.

Instead, I remembered that I have about 50 books that I've bought and haven't added to my TBR list yet.

Edited by frankie

I would also wish to read all of the novels on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (so far I've read 39 of them),

Why does everyone feel that they have to read this list? I honestly can't see why people are choosing their books just because some list tells them to!?

Anyway, frankie.. are all 300 ones you want to read soon, or do you have a 'priority' list? :smile2:

Why does everyone feel that they have to read this list? I honestly can't see why people are choosing their books just because some list tells them to!?

Anyway, frankie.. are all 300 ones you want to read soon, or do you have a 'priority' list? :)

Well, of course I don't feel that I have to read the 1001 books on that list just because there happens to be a book that recommends to do so :) But, I've been browsing through that list for many long hours and quite a lot of the books sound interesting and worth a read, or at least a try at it. Most of them are classics and they are on that list for a reason: at one point or another in history (or present) they have been appreciated as great works of literature.

Besides, many of the novels that appear on 1001 Books happen to be on my TBR list already for some other reason.

As for the other question, I don't have a priority list with the other ~300 books. Usually I go for the ones that I've bought most recently, or the ones that fit my current mood. But I really have to pick up the pace now with the list... :smile2:

I heard about the Rory list, and what I liked was the way it linked a classic, old book with a new contemporary one. So you got to explore a theme from two very different point of views.

As for reading simply because it's on some list... I guess it's, in part, about curiosity. Why did this book make the cut? Why is this considered worth people's time? After all, from all the worlds literature 1001 books is very little! I also try to read some competition winners, simply for arguments sake, so I can go "yeah, good choice!" or "what on Earth were they thinking?? This is horrible!"

As for my TBR? No, no formed list. I'm working on that, though...

What's 'the Rory list'? Is it available online?

I'm marking off the 1001 books on that Excel spreadsheet that was linked somewhere. I've no intention of trying to read them all though - just the ones I like the sound of. I just happen to like lists! :smile2:

What's 'the Rory list'? Is it available online?

Sure the Rory's list is online! I thought about including the url in my post, but because I'm a newbie here I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that :smile2: But here's link to the list:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/697?page=1

And for those who don't know Rory, she's a character in Gilmore Girls, a bookworm just like us :)

Gilmore Girls is only one of the best shows ever made! It's about a mother and daughter who are best friends living in a charming small town in the US, full of quirky characters. The writing is just brilliant.

ii and frankie, are you both on GoodReads? There is a Gilmore Girls discussion group that selects books from her list and compares them with other books. And there's also a 1001 Books discussion group. I don't really post in them but I love to read what everyone else is saying.

Thank you, Kylie. I might check that out. I recently decided to really "be" on Goodreads, instead of just having an account. A small attempt of cataloguing my books and getting some order to the chaos, I suppose.

The ominous TBR list! I

'm guessing that I have actually got, as in possess, about 12 books that are on my TBR list! The actual total of my TBR list is probably somewhere close to 100. As a school teacher I am currently on summer holidays so finding more time to read. However, as quick as I read one I seem to add a couple more to the list!

• 2 weeks later...

I went a bit crazy on BookMooch, and coupled with an inability to walk past a second hand bookstore without having a browse, my pile of book to be read has become a mountain in the last two months.

88 to be read, plus 56 in my housemates collection that I want to read too. So a total of 144 books, (or 147 if you count the 3 I'm halfway through.

I thought I had a problem, but looking through this thread, it seems kinda standard. :D

• 3 months later...