How Many in your TBR Pile

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Innumerable! On top of the various things I find along the way, I have this great book that my mom gave me called The Well Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer. It has a great list of fiction, biographies, histories, plays and poetry to read, and she shared how to read different types of works in order to absorb and learn the most from them. I sort of alternate between her suggested reading and the things that I want to read on my own.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tiresias

"Mount TBR." I like that!

My Mt. TBR is about 30 high, down from a dismal 50. However, those that remain are the most daunting. But recently I decided not to buy any books until I have read everything, and reread my favourites.

I shall conquer Mt. TBR!

Guest Tiresias

I think the best way to bring down Mt. TBR is this: By no means keep your unread books in the bookcase. Instead, keep them in a pile in the most conspicuous place you can find, whether it be your nightstand, coffee table, desk, or etc..

This works for a combination of reasons: Firstly, you will want to reduce clutter by reading the pile down to a more manageable size. Secondly, the more formidable the pile, the more it will silently admonish you every time you glance at it, which you will not be able to avoid doing, in view of its carefully selected prominence of place. And lastly, you will develop interest in the To-Be-Reads by casually glancing over them in your spare moments, as you will not doubt have occasion to do, given their geographical convenience.

Good luck.