Dan Brown - Angels & Demons

Kell

Out of all i've read of his work, i also think Digital Fortress was kinda dull. As for Angels and Demons, i much prefer it to The Da Vinci Code. I felt a lot of DVC was just speech and moving from one place to the other. I really got into Angels and Demons and the twists were brilliant.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only read Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code from Dan Brown. By far, the former was a lot better than the latter (as far as my preferences go between the two books). I thought that The Da Vinci Code was a little too...well...boring honestly, and less exciting in the material that Dan Brown brought forth--even if it's a work of fiction--than Angels & Demons.

Well if you're looking forward to it because you were impressed by The Davinci Code, then your going to be happy.. the general opinion is that Angel's and Demon's is better than The Davinci Code. :P

I love love LOVE this book! I'm eagerly awaiting the film! But the book is amazing! I read this right after I finished The Da Vinci Code (which I also loved!) It had me at the edge of my seat! I don't care if people think Brown's writing skills are a bit poor - it's a blooming good story!

I've read Digital Fortress and Deception Point too. I found Digital Fortress poor but Deception Point was good. I like the Robert Langdon stories best though. I hope Dan Brown's new book is out soon although I think he's having problems since it was meant to come out years ago!!

I actually am yet to see the film adaptation of TDC, i like Tom Hanks as an actor, so it will be interesting. Isn't his new book called 'The Solomon Key' or something, at least it was the last i heard. I actually might dig out 'Angels and Demons' for another read soon :P

ooo okies! It was a long time ago i read about it, until i came across this thread i had actually forgotten that he was supposed to be writing a new one D:

• 1 month later...

Taken from the Amazon page about 'The Soloman Key and Beyond':

It's a "mini" book in the sense that it is fairly thin - 96 pages to start with, although it will grow over time. (For example, detailed chapter-by-chapter analysis of The Solomon Key will be added soon after that novel is published.)

The Soloman Key IS a book being written by Dan Brown, supposedly featuring Robert Langdon and the Freemasons, among other things. There are some confirmed facts about the content, just google it and it's easy to find all the theories. 'The Soloman Key and Beyond' is one of a couple books written about Dan Brown's books as a whole, analysing their content, and 'revealing secrets' about the content of Dan Brown's forthcoming novel. A guy on the set of 'Angels and Demons' supposedly said that Dan Brown's 'Soloman Key' is completed, but theres been no publish date as of yet.

I thought i read years ago that it was the title and that it was apparently about some secrets concerning Washington D.C

He's taking his time with it, that's for sure.

I have only read two of Dan Brown's books - this one and the Da Vinci Code. Of the two I definately preferred Angels and Demons though. I can definately see why the Da Vinci Code held such wide and popular appeal, but I just felt that Angels and Demons was the better read.

• 3 weeks later...
I have only read two of Dan Brown's books - this one and the Da Vinci Code. Of the two I definately preferred Angels and Demons though. I can definately see why the Da Vinci Code held such wide and popular appeal, but I just felt that Angels and Demons was the better read.

I agree with you. I actually read this one first, before Tom Hanks' Hair...sorry, I mean The Da Vinci Code came out. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not a snob on this matter. I really, really couldn't put The Da Vinci Code down. Voracious, I was. :)

you must really be looking forward to it navya.

Yeah, Angels and Demons is a riveting read and i always find it hard to put down, i much prefer it to the sequel. I don't care much for the films as i want to keep the images of the novel i have in my mind. I couldn't find my paperback of Angels and Demons grr!

The movie Angels and Demons , a sequel to the movie DaVinci Code, has aroused the expectations of all.

Oh my god. I TOTALLY forgot about the movie! I'm such a bad fan! It's coming out soon, I think.. A month later. Oh I can't wait! Hopefully they did it right, no?

I have to say though, with the cast, the Camerlengo looks a bit like an older version of Voldie.

wasn't at all how I imagined him. Oh well.

I read this book two summers ago and read it before the Da vinci code ! It was a great book and I really enjoyed it , the only thing was.....I was on the bus on my way to work and some guy (weird) asked me if I believed in all that Rubbish .......? I was like ...erm WHAT ? then he pointed at my book and asked again , then started babbling about God and stuff ....well I got of at the next stop and walked ....it's funny now as I'd only just started the book and didn't have a clue what it was about heheheheh !!!!!

• 1 month later...

I must say that I thought the Da Vinci Code was good but I'm half way through Angels and Demons and it is way better! I can't believe why it hasn't had as much notice! The plot is much more intersting and intriguing and I have been on the edge of my seat and I havent even finished!

Off to see the film tonight.

As I've observed on my blog, I thought the book was some of the worst writing I've ever read. The plotting is juvenile, the "conspiracy" stuff is trite, the characterisation is laughable, etc, etc. But it's mostly just the prose that's so astonishingly bad. It's written in a half-journalistic way, with awful clunking metaphors, random insertion of pointless facts.

But, and it's quite a big but, it's actually perfectly fun to read, even if the writing is shocking.

And that suggests to me that it'll probably make a very watchable film. It will be the silly but moving-along plot without the dreadful writing. So I'm expecting a couple of hours of harmless fun.

Of course, the CERN, antimatter, illuminati, conclave nonsense is utterly risible, but probably not much more so than many other thrillers. As I said before, what makes it really bad is just the quality of writing.

OK. Astonishingly, I think the film might actually be as bad as the book. All the things that need explaining aren't explained. All the things that don't need explaining are expounded on in a very clunky, heavy-handed way (much the same as Brown does, but it's even more grating in the film because it's not done in the text, and Langdon will explain things to other experts as if they are complete morons. Or will do it in that terrible rhetorical way: "The Camerlengo?", said Langdon, "He's just the pope's chamblerain. But during the period before the election of the next pope, he holds the power of the office." Despite talking to high-ranking vatican officials. Gah!