Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rorschach.

also Jack Spratt, in the book "the big over easy" where jack spratt overseas the nursery crimes unit, some of the lines are just fantastic. for example upon finding humpty dumpty at the bottom of a wall in pieces "humpty sat on walls..that had always been his way, he has even had a mock wall installed in the classroom he taught in at the university" also "humpty was the least monogomous person he had ever met" Was quite disturbing I felt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Some of it is good; like the obvious - Trainspotting. :welcome2:

Scottishbookworm, have you got Sky Digitial? Rebus the TV series is going to be on all week, at 9pm/10pm! They also showed a documentry about Ian Rankin on Monday night. It might be repeated, so watch out for it. :D

I've seen "Trainspotting" that was with Ewan mcGregor

I love, love Kay Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell). I have been trying to find another author like her and have had no luck yet!

Kathy Reichs, Alex Kava, Karin Slaughter, Kathryn Fox?

I read all the Scarpetta novels up to Black Notice, which is when I threw in the towel.

I liked the early books, the forensic detail in the stories was interesting and the characters were good as well, but with each book the plots seemed to get more and more sensational and at the same time implausible -

(if the helicopter chase at the end of Point of Origin(?) wasn't written with an eye to a movie adaptation in mind I'll eat my hat!).

I tried reading one of Karin Slaughter's novels a few years back, on the recommendation of a co-worker*, and didn't get very far with it because I found that to be too over-blown as well.

I've not read a lot of crime books on the whole, but I have read a few of the Morse novels, and the first two Louie Knight/Aberystwyth novels by Malcolm Payne. I think the best crime novel I've read though has to be The Hound of the Baskervilles - hair-raising stuff on a windy winter's night!

*She still owes me a fiver for that . . .

I read all the Scarpetta novels up to Black Notice, which is when I threw in the towel.

I liked the early books, the forensic detail in the stories was interesting and the characters were good as well, but with each book the plots seemed to get more and more sensational and at the same time implausible -

(if the helicopter chase at the end of Point of Origin(?) wasn't written with an eye to a movie adaptation in mind I'll eat my hat!).

I agree! And surely not everyone can be conspiring against her all the time! I also think she has created some women characters such as Lamont in "The Front" (ie- the beautiful bitch type) in her later novels which would be considered sexist if written by a man!

I've also got bored with Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell) much prefer Tempe Brennan (Kathy Reichs), mandapanda you might like Tempe Brennan she's also a forensic pathologist who 'sleuths'.

As to my favourites

Philip Marlowe (Raymond Chandler)

Sherlock Holmes(Conan-Doyle)

Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith) - did anyone see the tv adaptation of the first novel by Anthony Minghella - utterly gorgeous, and just how I imagined it!

I have now all the Scarpetta books [Patrica Cornwell] and only have 4 to read in the series. I love these books. :17:

I sensed there was another Scarpetta collector when I noticed your purchases in Which books came to your home today -thread! I've been collecting those books too, which has been quite tricky at times, but last Monday I found the missing four books from the beginning of the series. Goody! Enjoy your collection! :P

I sensed there was another Scarpetta collector when I noticed your purchases in Which books came to your home today -thread! I've been collecting those books too, which has been quite tricky at times, but last Monday I found the missing four books from the beginning of the series. Goody! Enjoy your collection! :P

I have read all the Scarpetta books too and enjoyed them all :D (nice one btw on realising theres more - lucky you). I'm not that keen on Cornwell's other fiction though. I've also read all the Tempe Brennan series by Kathy Reichs and they are just as good, in fact I would be hard pushed to pick a favourite out of the two authors. Kathy's new novel Devil Bones is out and I can't wait to get a hold of a copy! :17:

I have read all the Scarpetta books too and enjoyed them all :D (nice one btw on realising theres more - lucky you). I'm not that keen on Cornwell's other fiction though. I've also read all the Tempe Brennan series by Kathy Reichs and they are just as good, in fact I would be hard pushed to pick a favourite out of the two authors. Kathy's new novel Devil Bones is out and I can't wait to get a hold of a copy! :P

I've read a couple of Scarpetta books before but it was so many years ago that I don't remember anything about them - just that they were good! I'm so glad I've managed to find those books and can start reading them in chronological order :D I haven't tried Cornwell's other fiction either and probably won't even try.

I've heard so many great things about Kathy Reichs's books too that I'm checking them out as soon as possible! I'm next in line for "Deja Dead" in our local library so it won't be long until I get the chance. Actually I've been quite anxious these few weeks to get it! Why won't the current borrower hurry with the reading :17:

I've heard so many great things about Kathy Reichs's books too that I'm checking them out as soon as possible! I'm next in line for "Deja Dead" in our local library so it won't be long until I get the chance. Actually I've been quite anxious these few weeks to get it! Why won't the current borrower hurry with the reading :17:

:P

It might be an idea to check out her website. She's also like Cornwell in that they are in chronological order although they are still a good read in on their own. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else a fan of Simon Brett's novels? He has written quite a bit of detective fiction and his books are an easy read, with a generous dollop of humour in them. I would recommend them to anyone who likes an old-fashioned murder mystery.

The 'Fethering' novels are set in West Sussex and feature a couple of amateur detectives, Carole and Jude, two ladies in their fifties, one a retired civil servant and the other an 'alternative therapist'. These yarns have titles like 'The Stabbing in the Stables' and 'Death on the Downs'. I think the first in the series is entitled 'The Body on the Beach'.

Charles Paris is another of his creations. A struggling actor with a bit of a drink problem who gets himself caught up in various murders. The first book in this series is 'Cast in order of Disappearance'.

Quite a few of his novels have been adapted for radio and I believe the lovely Bill Nighy has played 'Charles Paris'.

I've read all bar one of his 'Mrs Pargeter' books. I gather from discussing them with someone else here that they're a little like the 'Agatha Raisin' books in style.

I read them when the children were babies and I couldn't concentrate on anything too heavy - they're quite simple and very similar to each other, but quite enjoyable.

I've read a couple of the Feathering books too, but not for years. I've sort of meandered away from crime having read it solidly with nothing else for several years. I might go back to them one day.

Currently Charlie Parker..John Connolly's creation (as I'm reading The Black Angel) but I have more than an affection for Chief Inspector Morse both in the TV creation and the written word,though The Remorseful Day was a great TV adaption and brilliantly,as ever,played by John Thaw,I enjoyed the book more.

Has to be Sherlock:readingtwo: I have read and re-read the SH stories and still find new and interesting things in them. I particularly love the the fact that the books are contemporary and you are reading exactly how life was in late Victorian times.

My other fav is probably Brother Cadfael - another set of books that I love to re-read when I feel like it. His herbal knowledge and medieval "forensic" work is quite fascinating.

There are plenty of others I could mention but will have to give it a bit more thought.

Love

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished reading "The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp, and I have to say that I really liked the characters - particularly the main one, Detective Mike Lomax. I've read a lot of detective/crime novels over the years - Rebus, Scarpetta, Brennan et al and I found Lomax to be refreshing, a bit quirky and very amusing. I would have to say that he's currently, therefore, my favourite detective.

I've just finished reading "The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp, and I have to say that I really liked the characters - particularly the main one, Detective Mike Lomax. I've read a lot of detective/crime novels over the years - Rebus, Scarpetta, Brennan et al and I found Lomax to be refreshing, a bit quirky and very amusing. I would have to say that he's currently, therefore, my favourite detective.

Always on the look out for a new crime writer! will add this to my bookmooch list!