Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2012

Kylie

Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World

This is not a Holmes novel... is it? The titles suggests it's not, but I never knew he wrote other novels.

Nope, definitely not a Holmes story! It's an adventure style story, following a Victorian period expedition to a almost inaccessible plateau where dinosaurs have survived.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a fair few books while I was away (including lots of Vintage Classics! I've put a * next to the books that aren't Vintage).

Martin Amis The Old Devils

Honore de Balzac Eugenie Grandit

*Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending

*Elizabeth Barrett Browning Sonnets from the Portugese

Mikhail Bulgakov Diaboliad

*David Crystal A Little Book of Language

Charles Dickens Martin Chuzzlewit

Fyodor Dostoyevsky The Brothers Karamazov

Arthur Conan Doyle The Lost World

William Faulkner Sanctuary

F Scott Fitzgerald Tender is the Night (replacement)

Vasily Grossman Life and Fate

Henry James The Turn of the Screw

W Somerset Maugham Collected Short Stories Volume 4

Nancy Mitford Frederick the Great

Nancy Mitford The Sun King

Nancy Mitford Voltaire in Love

*Haruki Murakami A Wild Sheep Chase (replacement)

*Haruki Murakami Sputnik Sweetheart

John O'Hara Appointment in Samarra

Edgar Allan Poe The Murders in the Rue Morgue

*Terry Pratchett Strata

*Jonathan Stroud Bartimaeus #4: The Ring of Solomon (replacement)

Andy Warhol A: A Novel

*Sarah Waters Tipping the Velvet

Very, very jealous ... so many great books and authors there and all those gorgeous Vintage editions too :wub:.. be still my beating heart :D

I went over to my parents' place last night and borrowed a book from Mum called The Sweet Poison Quit Plan: How to Kick the Sugar Habit and Lose Weight. Of course I borrowed it right after Easter, so I won't be starting my attempt to kick my sugar addiction (and I totally believe it is an addiction) for a couple of days yet. I just asked Mum if she could get me a copy (she bought it from work), but she admitted she probably would never read it anyway, so it is now my book. :)

Let me know if it works ... I soooooo need to kick the sugar habit :(

Nope, definitely not a Holmes story! It's an adventure style story, following a Victorian period expedition to a almost inaccessible plateau where dinosaurs have survived.

:D Yes, doesn't sound like a Holmes novel :D

*Runs in*

*Chants*

Kylie's changed colour, Kylie's changed colour!

*skips out*

I was like 'whaaaat...?' for 30 seconds and then I got it :lol:

Congratulations Kylie!! :flowers2::friends3::friends3: You'll be hella awesome! :grinhat:

Edit: Jänet, that was crazy :haha: Crazy fun!

Edited by frankie

*Runs in*

*Chants*

Kylie's changed colour, Kylie's changed colour!

*skips out*

:giggle: Thanks Janet and everyone. I'm very pleased and honoured. :D

Oh no! Does your elevated status mean I can't tease you when England are beating Australia at cricket now? Will you warn, or worse, ban me? :eek:

Yes, yes and yes! No, no and no. ;)

(Aren't you being rather optimistic, assuming that England will be beating Australia at some point? :P:giggle2:)

We don't do optimism where our teams are concerned, in ANY sport :lol:

This gave me a good laugh :giggle:

and congrats Kylie - by the way, where do your books from mostly?

Does your elevated status mean I can't tease you when England are beating Australia at cricket now?

We don't do optimism where our teams are concerned, in ANY sport :lol:

Is Claire an anomaly, then? :)

and congrats Kylie - by the way, where do your books from mostly?

Thanks Devi! It's good to have another Aussie around. We've had a few come and go, but they never stick around long. I hope you will (stick around, that is :)).

I buy most of my books secondhand from local bookshops and also a massive book fair that is held in Canberra twice a year. It goes for 3 days, so I make a long weekend of it. Because I have absolutely no self-control when I'm there, I've had to cut back on visits. I had to practically tie myself down to keep from going last month. :(

I mostly buy my new books from the Book Depository (I think you buy from there too, right?) I love that site. :) Thank goodness for the Internet and being able to buy cheap books from overseas! :D I occasionally buy books (new and secondhand) from Better World Books, an online store that donates books to charitable causes when you buy from them, so I feel extra happy when I spend cash there. They have a big warehouse that stocks books, but there is also a marketplace (similar to Amazon) where you can buy books from other sellers.

I usually ask for book vouchers for birthdays/Christmas, so I get to splurge at Dymocks occasionally, and I love classics (especially Vintage Classics) which are usually cheaply priced, so I like to buy those brand new.

For local online bookstores, I shop at Booktopia occasionally (usually when they have a free shipping deal and/or a book sale) and have recently discovered Fishpond (well, I knew it existed but always thought it was expensive for some reason, but they have quite cheap books). The problem with both is that they often have to order the books from overseas, so you usually have to wait quite a while. It's usually easier and cheaper to just cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

Have you ever used Booko? It's an Australian price comparison website - you enter the name of a book and it brings up the cheapest prices from dozens of different online stores. It's a great reference tool that helps me to decide where to buy my books cheaply (the only way I can afford to buy so many books is to hunt out the bargains!)

Yeah but we do do pessimism rather well :D

Well, you've had loads of practice, haven't you? :P

Thanks Devi! It's good to have another Aussie around. We've had a few come and go, but they never stick around long. I hope you will (stick around, that is :)).

I intend to try! I just bought a six month sub because I love it here so much.

I buy most of my books secondhand from local bookshops and also a massive book fair that is held in Canberra twice a year. It goes for 3 days, so I make a long weekend of it. Because I have absolutely no self-control when I'm there, I've had to cut back on visits. I had to practically tie myself down to keep from going last month. :(

Oh man, I would love to go to a book fair, even just once. We sometimes have them at the exhibition centre in the city, but I could never make it (I live just 45mins out of Melbourne).

I mostly buy my new books from the Book Depository (I think you buy from there too, right?) I love that site. :) Thank goodness for the Internet and being able to buy cheap books from overseas! :D I occasionally buy books (new and secondhand) from Better World Books, an online store that donates books to charitable causes when you buy from them, so I feel extra happy when I spend cash there. They have a big warehouse that stocks books, but there is also a marketplace (similar to Amazon) where you can buy books from other sellers.

I usually ask for book vouchers for birthdays/Christmas, so I get to splurge at Dymocks occasionally, and I love classics (especially Vintage Classics) which are usually cheaply priced, so I like to buy those brand new.

Yeah I pretty much buy all my books from the book depository too, I love it and the bookmark I get with every order! I think I will check out better world books, and as for local bookshops, we have a Collins in town that I go to to order certain books that I can't find online.

For local online bookstores, I shop at Booktopia occasionally (usually when they have a free shipping deal and/or a book sale) and have recently discovered Fishpond (well, I knew it existed but always thought it was expensive for some reason, but they have quite cheap books). The problem with both is that they often have to order the books from overseas, so you usually have to wait quite a while. It's usually easier and cheaper to just cut out the middle man and go straight to the source.

I know of booktopia, I shop there on rare occasions, only when they have free shipping. Like you say though, it's often just easier to go straight to the source, also not to mention quicker. Most of my books get here in four to six days from Book Depository.

Have you ever used Booko? It's an Australian price comparison website - you enter the name of a book and it brings up the cheapest prices from dozens of different online stores. It's a great reference tool that helps me to decide where to buy my books cheaply (the only way I can afford to buy so many books is to hunt out the bargains!)

No I haven't, but I might do so now. Thanks for the tip!

I've received a load of books in the mail this week. Happy days!

I found the Wodehouse books going very cheaply. They're all the recent Arrow editions, which match most of my other Wodehouses. I thought Arrow had been publishing new books all the time, but they haven't released any in a while and I noticed that I was only missing a few from my collection (well, all of the books listed below plus one or two more).

Wodehouse at the Wicket is particularly exciting, because it's a compendium of his writings on cricket, and there's info about his involvement in the game (he played several games at Lord's and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was his captain!)

I'm also really thrilled with Manguel's The Dictionary of Imaginary Places, which has been on my wish list for ages. Even the cheapest copy I could find was kind of expensive, but I decided to splurge. It's about 750 pages long and details over 1,200 lands that have featured in literature (Wonderland, Atlantis, Utopia, Middle-earth, Hogwarts etc). It's illustrated as well. It'll be a great book to randomly dip into, and I expect it will increase my wish list by a lot!

Wilkie Collins The Haunted Hotel and Other Stories

James Doig Australian Ghost Stories

Jeffrey Eugenides The Marriage Plot

J Sheridan Le Fanu In a Glass Darkly

Alberto Manguel The Dictionary of Imaginary Places

Groucho Marx The Groucho Letters: Letters to and From Groucho Marx

John O'Hara BUtterfield 8 (Vintage)

Andrey Platonov The Foundation Pit (Vintage, dystopian)

PG Wodehouse Big Money (replacement)

PG Wodehouse The Girl in Blue

PG Wodehouse Hot Water

PG Wodehouse Laughing Gas (replacement)

PG Wodehouse Money for Nothing

PG Wodehouse The Small Bachelor

PG Wodehouse Uncle Fred in the Springtime

PG Wodehouse Very Good, Jeeves (replacement)

PG Wodehouse Wodehouse at the Wicket

I also have one more book to come: Daniel Pennac's The Rights of the Reader.

:)

I'm giving myself a day or two off work, so I'll get this shelved and hopefully get some reading done!

Haha. I'm watching an episode of Buffy, where the following conversation (minus some stuttering) takes place between Giles and his new girlfriend, Jenny:

Jenny: Oh! Thank you so much for loaning me the Forrester book. It's wonderful!

Giles: Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jenny: Yeah, it was so romantic, so evocative.

Giles: That edition was my father's. I must've read it... twenty times.

Jenny: Yeah, y'know how you have to dog-ear your favorite pages so you can go back to them?

Giles: Uh, what?

Jenny: Well, I mean, I practically had to fold back every single page. So finally I just started underlining all the pages I really wanted to discuss.

Giles: U-u-underlined...?

Jenny: But then, of course, I spilled coffee all over it, I can't even read it...

Giles: (can't believe it) It's a first edition!

Jenny: I'm lying, Rupert. (smiles) The book's fine. (holds it up) I just love to see you squirm. (hands him the book)

Thanks Poppy! (Actually, is that the right thing to say? I'm not thankful that you're jealous! But I'm thankful that you approve of my collection. :))

I think there are 4 Wodehouse books (from the Arrow series) that I still don't have. Three of them collections that contain stories from the books I already have but of course I'll have to buy them. My collection wouldn't be complete otherwise. :blush2:

I received Daniel Pennac's The Rights of the Reader today (illustrated by Quentin Blake!) Given the way my postie threw it at the door (he didn't even slow to a stop!), I'm mighty glad the BD uses padded envelopes.

Luckily most of the books I received yesterday were delivered by someone in a van who walked them to the door and put them down nicely. This obviously means I need to order loads of books at the same time so I can have them delivered in bulk by the van. ;)

Haha. I'm watching an episode of Buffy, where the following conversation (minus some stuttering) takes place between Giles and his new girlfriend, Jenny:

Jenny: Oh! Thank you so much for loaning me the Forrester book. It's wonderful!

Giles: Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jenny: Yeah, it was so romantic, so evocative.

Giles: That edition was my father's. I must've read it... twenty times.

Jenny: Yeah, y'know how you have to dog-ear your favorite pages so you can go back to them?

Giles: Uh, what?

Jenny: Well, I mean, I practically had to fold back every single page. So finally I just started underlining all the pages I really wanted to discuss.

Giles: U-u-underlined...?

Jenny: But then, of course, I spilled coffee all over it, I can't even read it...

Giles: (can't believe it) It's a first edition!

Jenny: I'm lying, Rupert. (smiles) The book's fine. (holds it up) I just love to see you squirm. (hands him the book)

Hehe, remember it well. Poor Jenny :(

That Buffy conversation reminds me of something that happened last night. A friend was given a new book as a gift, she opened the front cover and using her hand in a fist CREASED and FLATTENED the cover so it would stay open. I thought of all the people on here who would have gasped, screamed or fainted at the sight of it!